Wrestling with the sword

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wrestling with the sword

Postby jaime_g on Wed May 30, 2018 1:44 am

nice video on close combat while fencing with a longsword

https://youtu.be/OCoajvCeAnY
jaime_g
Wuji

Re: Wrestling with the sword

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 am

Say what?

I'm assuming that the blades are not that sharp that you need to worry about this :)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Wed May 30, 2018 2:37 am

Indeed. I know little about HEMA in practical terms, so I'm open to more informed opinions. But during this demonstration there are moments when the instructor has the opponent's blade: tucked under his armpit - held firmly in his hand - tucked into the crook of his elbow. Even if the whole thing lasts only a second or two at real speed, the opponent might sharply pull his blade back to free it and disengage. No expertise needed, it would be a logical instinctive response. And that would surely slice through the armpit, palm or the elbow tendon. Or am I missing something??
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 am

Rubbish - it's just a flesh wound.

Last edited by GrahamB on Wed May 30, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed May 30, 2018 4:16 am

:)

however worth to notice, that sword is quite dull closer to the handle, and in real encounter you are wearing protective gloves and some armor.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Wed May 30, 2018 5:36 am

It's expected that the fighters are wearing heavy armor. Grabbing the blade with a gauntlet is safe enough to make this practical.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby Yugen on Wed May 30, 2018 7:57 am

I trained a little in the long sword, you are wearing armored gloves, etc. I definitely want to train it more when I have time. The nice thing about HEMA is they spar and have competition. So they reality check things. I once saw a post somewhere, maybe on this site, where a HEMA guy who had hundreds of competitions says that he's been able to pull off only a couple disarming of his opponent and for the most part they are low percentage opportunities.
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Postby Yugen on Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 am

Giles wrote:Indeed. I know little about HEMA in practical terms, so I'm open to more informed opinions. But during this demonstration there are moments when the instructor has the opponent's blade: tucked under his armpit - held firmly in his hand - tucked into the crook of his elbow. Even if the whole thing lasts only a second or two at real speed, the opponent might sharply pull his blade back to free it and disengage. No expertise needed, it would be a logical instinctive response. And that would surely slice through the armpit, palm or the elbow tendon. Or am I missing something??

as in the "it's only a flesh wound" image, you'd be wearing chain mail. pinning a blade to your side with your arm would be protected by the chain mail.
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Postby Giles on Wed May 30, 2018 1:13 pm

Yugen wrote:as in the "it's only a flesh wound" image, you'd be wearing chain mail. pinning a blade to your side with your arm would be protected by the chain mail.

OK, understand. The blade type used by the two guys here seemed to my inexpert eye to be too thin/narrow for use in full armoured fighting because it wouldn't be sturdy enough to thrust reliably through the chinks; instead more like a civilian sword used for Bloßfechten (fighting without armour). But I'm only guessing here. :)
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Yugen on Thu May 31, 2018 7:22 am

Giles wrote:
Yugen wrote:as in the "it's only a flesh wound" image, you'd be wearing chain mail. pinning a blade to your side with your arm would be protected by the chain mail.

OK, understand. The blade type used by the two guys here seemed to my inexpert eye to be too thin/narrow for use in full armoured fighting because it wouldn't be sturdy enough to thrust reliably through the chinks; instead more like a civilian sword used for Bloßfechten (fighting without armour). But I'm only guessing here. :)

Yes, the "training swords" are often sold thinner like that and don't represent the "real thing". I don't like those. Where I trained we had trainers that had full size dull blade. Those thin ones are so guy's "don't get tired" - which I guess makes sense if you're working foundational movements over and over..

You're probably right too... from what I've read some of the longsword manuals are from a time when people were wearing less armor... but maybe the technique shown was taken from an earlier time? don't know. All I know is I'd rather try and smash with the hilt before trying to capture a blade in grappling.
Last edited by Yugen on Thu May 31, 2018 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Return to Video Links