The secret of Tai Chi is not transmitted! 99% don't know

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: The secret of Tai Chi is not transmitted! 99% don't know

Postby Trick on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Bao wrote:
...But I still have a problem dealing with morons in daily life, but I keep on trying to improve myself to remain in the Tai Chi state even dealing with idiots, ...sometimes successfully... :-\

A strange thing I began to notice years ago, the more I focus on Xingyiquan practice I seem to attract aggressive people but the more I focus on Taijiquan practice aggressive people seem to be elsewhere, an interesting phenomena
Trick

Postby Overlord on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:51 pm

marvin8 wrote:
windwalker wrote:
marvin8 wrote:
Chen Village determined traditional TCMA training "doesn't work out too well against live moving targets." Per Chenjiagou (deductive reasoning), push hands, chi sau and partner application exercises that start from contact does not develop enough skill in order to fight sanda. This is why they added movable targets: pad work, kicking shields and heavy bags to their training. Also, this is a possible reason why Wei (taiji) and Ding (wing chun) lost to Xu (MMA). (For the record, I may not agree with Chenjiagou training methods and understand not practicing taiji moves on pads.) Disagree, there is what's called moving step push hands, but agree with the basic premise.
Their current practice methods, strategic assumptions , do not translate well into real world usage .

There is no disagreement. Traditional taiji does do moving partner drills and moving step push hands. However, exercises that simulate more realistic punching and fighting should be added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_6wk2BBkO8

The above video is not the same as the pad work videos that I posted. Look at the feeder (trainer) not the trainee. Instead of both partners working on the same skills, one becomes the feeder (trainer); the other becomes the trainee. As in Chenjiagou, drills should be added where a skilled trainer holds pads, throws and retracts punches at normal speed while teaching the trainee how to apply principles, strategies and techniques of the art.

windwalker wrote:I think the type of pad / bag work that one uses and trains with, is dependent on the type of power delivery that one focuses on.

Taiji in its current form is recognized through traditional styles. Any updates or hybrids are not considered for the most part as being Taiji
In today's time there are no modern representatives of people using Taiji In a traditional sense in the ring.

The Chen guys in the clips should have had a couple of Signature movements that they could point to as representative of their style if that was the point. Otherwise no need to mention they'er chen Taiji stylist .

I am not advocating taiji people practice or don't practice boxing or sanda on pads. I don't know the explanation of why Chenjiagou does what it does, which is similar to what Max and Tiffany Chen did. What does it mean to be formless?

Trick wrote:If/when i get the chance to work on a heavybag I don't do " as hard as I can" strikes on it and a mix of I move around it and bag move around me in so keeping close contact with the bag with hands, arms, shoulders, back and hips, quite different from striking only as I did during my karate days.

I agree. The heavy bag is not only for punching hard. It should be used to practice various skills including yielding, distance, timing, balance, etc.

Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu - Muay Thai
Published on Mar 7, 2017

A round of my padwork with commentary from my newest post for Nak Muay Nation, tracing 3 days of my padwork with Pi Nu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rueAjzt-i2Q

Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu - Muay Thai
Published on Feb 14, 2017

A little drill I came up with the other day to work on my retreating footwork and counter striking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUePtCE3CXA

I love heavy bag. Punching and kicking.
I love the feeling when my round house force whip/torn through the heavy bag, feeling great hearing a thunder echoed.
I don’t punch with gloves, because real kungfu doesn’t need gloves.
If I have any bruises on my knuckles,
I consider my failure to deliver pure jing (勁不純)

Mingjing 明勁 is essential for Xingyiquan, without heavy punching bag one cannot improve.
This is how Tangshou Dao under Hong Yixiang practiced as well.
Overlord

Postby Trick on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:46 am

Whenever I encounter a heavybag I too love to feel my "old" kicks sink into the bag...Now it is a long time ago so maybe not too much power anymore
Trick

Postby Overlord on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:19 am

Trick wrote:Whenever I encounter a heavybag I too love to feel my "old" kicks sink into the bag...Now it is a long time ago so maybe not too much power anymore

No worries Trick, we just do what we can. This is the natural way.
Overlord

Previous

Return to Video Links