Zhang jun feng long video

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Zhang jun feng long video

Postby Trick on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:38 am

windwalker wrote:Why is it that there always seems to be videos of Masters movements but never what they did or how they used them.

Because back in the past-masters days they probably only really fought if in a "self defense" situation(maybe a tradition going nowadays too), and the lack of mobile-phones with cam back then made it quite impossible to get it on film. 8-)
Trick

Postby Overlord on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:14 pm

marvin8 wrote:
Franklin wrote:
kenneth fish wrote:This was filmed when Master Zhang was severely overweight and in poor health - I am actually a bit sad to see this posted. He actually moved far better, with more accuracy and celerity than this. Here he is just running through the motions. A far better window on Master Zhang and his teachings would have been film of his wife (who was really the main instructor after Master Zhang became ill). She moved with great strength, suppleness, and precision - it was like watching a large snake move. By the time I began studying with Master Zhang and his wife he had lost a lot of weight and his diabetes was mostly controlled (as well as it could be for that time - the drugs we take for granted now did not exist back then). Yes, he was a big man, and yes, he did use his size to his advantage - but he could teach smaller persons (like myself, his wife, and most of my classmates) how to move with great delicacy and refinement. Hong Yimian was also a better example of the product of Master Zhang's teaching.

Is there a film of Mrs. Zhang?

Abi Moriya
Published on Mar 29, 2010

Zhang Zhunfeng (1902-1974), my teacher's teacher, demonstrating An Shen Pao (stable body pounding) form with his wife Xu Baomei 徐抱妹, Taiwan, 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHFsb4hmVg

It’s so obvious that Hong’s skill surpass that of Zhang.
Toward Hong’s end of life, his skill reach another level.
BTW Zhang did not learn from Wu Mengxia.
Overlord

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Overlord wrote:BTW Zhang did not learn from Wu Mengxia.

What I heard through the grapevine is that although Zhang did study under Gao Yisheng, he actually got more instruction from his close friend Wu Mengxia. One of the reasons being that the fees Gao charged, especially for combat applications, were quite high.

Direct evidence suggesting that Zhang learned from Wu, or that the two compared notes at the very least, is that both of their systems include and emphasize the heavenly stems (Tiengan) exercises in basic power training. (In Gao's original system, Tiengan is only used to refer to the pre-heaven palms.)

AFAIK, Tiengan exercises are only found in Zhang and Wu's branches of Gao Bagua, and are most likely Wu's own invention or something he obtained from another source. It's unsurprising considering that Wu had already learned from a number of Xingyi and Bagua teachers prior to becoming Gao's student.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm

The grapevine...LOL!

Ah, ICMA.

Glad to see that talking shit and casting aspersions about stuff that literally no one alive could have any info on at this point in history is still in full effect.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 am

shawnsegler wrote:The grapevine...LOL!

Ah, ICMA.

Glad to see that talking shit and casting aspersions about stuff that literally no one alive could have any info on at this point in history is still in full effect.

S

Aspersions? Nah.....hardly.

If you knew anything about how teaching was done back in the days, you'd know that it was not uncommon at all for someone to be accepted as the disciple of a famous master, but only to receive most of the instruction from the master's senior students.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links