Shanghai MMA coach discussing using tai chi in a fight

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Shanghai MMA coach discussing using tai chi in a fight

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Shanghai-based MMA coach Ramsey Dewey has posted a nice video discussing his understanding of the situation of tai chi:

Think he makes some very interesting points about how the current state of tai chi is exactly what you would expect to see if you withhold the underlying information behind the movements of any art - i.e. it becomes a meaningless shell - and also how a lot of taiji movements can be directly correlated to v practical grappling movements or locks.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Re: Shanghai MMA coach discussing using tai chi in a fight

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:57 pm

I agree with what he says but when I watched him move I was disappointed
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Truth!
Some people on this board have been saying you have to train it but they are looked upon as being heretics. i.e. that isn't real taijiquan CMA.

Nuff said ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Tiga Pukul on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:24 am

In my point of view it's a 'wrestlers' perspective on movements in TKD/Karate/TaiJi. Sure you could see a reverse punch and see it as an armbar, it can be one solution to this movement, but it's not necessarily THE movement. You can translate a lot of the movements also to punching movements, but because people want to train more safely sadly i don't see a lot of punching practiced in TaJi, other than in forms. And in a conceptual way as the recent 'boxing in TaiJi' video showed.

I recall some videos of 'Torsten Kanzmeier' where he actually showed ways in practicing to improve boxing punches. Now that is stuff i would love to see more, but hey...i'm more of a punching guy :)
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Return to Video Links