Some Thoughts on Timing

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Some Thoughts on Timing

Postby RobP3 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:32 am

windwalker wrote:My base movement and style is from hop gar. Which is called a long arm system. This means that it works outside of the others hitting range but puts the other in it's range..

Cool. I'm sure that works very well in some situations
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:35 am

windwalker wrote:My base movement and style is from hop gar. Which is called a long arm system. This means that it works outside of the others hitting range but puts the other in it's range..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqf42bsTXnY
marvin8
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:44 am

I believe the Systema version has become know as a "casting punch" but it still applies to the OP. Unless people are thinking that the way I work to demonstrate a concept is absolutely the only way I ever move and ever punch ever?

The same concept can still apply to the casting punch, as you see his movement develop, step and throw the whip strike - though hang on, wasn't that questioned here too just recently?
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:56 am

marvin8 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqf42bsTXnY

Not very fond of the strategy in the vid. Nice to see them practice it. But they are really easy to read and counter. Done a whole lot of sparring against many HungGar and CLF practitioners. They try to use this kind of long arm strike with combos, but mostly it doesn't work too well.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 am

Tom wrote:
windwalker wrote:My base movement and style is from hop gar.

Not taijiquan?

what is called taiji as taught by master zhang, makes up the engine of what I call

“Tsang-Lu” 蒼 鷺

Describes a method developed from the basic practices of hop gar, and taiji, forming a unique approach embodying aspects of both.

A practice based on developing an understanding of
“moving with awareness”

Mike my first CMA teacher was very supportive in what I showed him, acting as a consultant on some of
the finer details of the hop gar integration that I might have questions about.

While in HI I studied at Grandmaster Cheuk Tse school http://hopgarkungfuacademy.com/aboutus/lineage.html who taught the 3 long arm arts togeather CLF, white crane, and hop gar...

It was at this time that I had an insight

"One hot, balmy Hawaiian night, in downtown Honolulu. In the middle of what seemed like 1000s of repetitions of movement it came to me….by way of another voice seemingly coming from inside of me, or some might say the inner teacher decided to speak..

You do not need more movement, you need the essence of movement."

This is what lead me to taiji and eventually to china meeting my last taiji teacher master zhang and the group there.
For over 10yrs I dropped everything else in order to understand and gain some skill sets I felt I lacked.

It was during this time that we met, I was in the middle of the process..
Thanks for your support Tom during this time, greatly appreciated.

now done, reintegration,,,allowing for me freedom...
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:06 am

Wuxing Tongbeiquan is mostly also an “long arm/windmilling” style, but that’s basically only for solo shenfa practice. When practiced correct, short stingy/whippy strikes comes out very well when applied...of course delivered with perfect timing :)
Trick

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:29 am

Bao wrote:
Not very fond of the strategy in the vid. Nice to see them practice it. But they are really easy to read and counter. Done a whole lot of sparring against many HungGar and CLF practitioners. They try to use this kind of long arm strike with combos, but mostly it doesn't work too well.

Hop gar, is really very different it falls into a family of what is called long arm but is very unique unto itself. The foot work is quite unique and makes what is called long arm work..Which as you noted is often easy to see and read depending on style and practitioner. outlines some of the training https://journeytoemptiness.com/2017/06/23/mike-staples/ Hop gar uses criculer hands with cricluler foot work,,very differnet from other styls using circuler hands with liner foot work...

Image Mike and Rong Dong from long ago. I used to use this against many different types of MA,,a lot of people who said or did boxing...I would agree not to kick them and just use hands in boxing gloves.

Its quite different and not really widely known..David Chin, Mikes teacher has a gym that preps those wanting to engage in MMA...modifying it to fit the venue....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORfOICflKIw
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Tiga Pukul on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 am

Good movie Rob, Timing is soooooooo important. All the power in the world (that is talked about all the time on this forum) won't help you if you don't get the timing correct.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:22 am

windwalker wrote:Hop gar, is really very different it falls into a family of what is called long arm but is very unique unto itself. The foot work is quite unique and makes what is called long arm work..Which as you noted is often easy to see and read depending on style and practitioner. outlines some of the training https://journeytoemptiness.com/2017/06/23/mike-staples/ Hop gar uses criculer hands with cricluler foot work,,very differnet from other styls using circuler hands with liner foot work

Interesting... Would love to learn more about it. 8-)

Trick wrote:Wuxing Tongbeiquan is mostly also an “long arm/windmilling” style, but that’s basically only for solo shenfa practice. When practiced correct, short stingy/whippy strikes comes out very well when applied...of course delivered with perfect timing :)

I've never practiced Tongbei or sister styles, but they share some exercises and jibengong with IMA, BGZ and XYQ especially. From what I have seen Tongbei stylists really understand how to initiate movement from the spine/back. Should be very good practice to learn their "engine" regardless what CMA you practice.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:29 am

Tiga Pukul wrote:Good movie Rob, Timing is soooooooo important. All the power in the world (that is talked about all the time on this forum) won't help you if you don't get the timing correct.

Thanks you, sir, it's nice to know someone appreciated the concept of the OP before we got sidetracked :)
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links