bagua v mma...

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: bagua v mma...

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:48 am

I've just known and seen too many people who study "tai chi" or bagua who can compete in these type of contests. I think most of this debate about cma is a matter of ego. If it weren't so, people wouldn't need to prove that the art they practice was effective.

Windy asked how we knew which art the competitors were practicing. I.e., why do we say that it's a tcc or bagua guy against an mma or some other guy? It's true. Why is it necessary to label the guy's art? He gets into the ring and he's going to be doing what the other guy is doing. That's what happens. Though, it does not seem to be what people want to happen. Bagua practitioners want to see bagua; tcc people want to see tcc, etc. It doesn't make one bit of difference if, as someone pointed out, the competitor can't defend or attack with the practice they have learned.

People argue about empty force when, at a time when almost everyone over 10 has a video camera in his pocket, there are no examples of effective imas in competition with other martial arts that everyone can agree on. Most people want to see and talk about full contact, not empty contact. Many people who were interested specifically in that type of work have simply given up trying to talk about it.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:54 am

Steve James wrote:I've just known and seen too many people who study "tai chi" or bagua who can compete in these type of contests. I think most of this debate about cma is a matter of ego. If it weren't so, people wouldn't need to prove that the art they practice was effective.

Windy asked how we knew which art the competitors were practicing. I.e., why do we say that it's a tcc or bagua guy against an mma or some other guy? It's true. Why is it necessary to label the guy's art? He gets into the ring and he's going to be doing what the other guy is doing. That's what happens. Though, it does not seem to be what people want to happen. Bagua practitioners want to see bagua; tcc people want to see tcc, etc. It doesn't make one bit of difference if, as someone pointed out, the competitor can't defend or attack with the practice they have learned.

People argue about empty force when, at a time when almost everyone over 10 has a video camera in his pocket, there are no examples of effective imas in competition with other martial arts that everyone can agree on. Most people want to see and talk about full contact, not empty contact. Many people who were interested specifically in that type of work have simply given up trying to talk about it.

yep ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:39 pm

The fight organizers are the clueless ones followed closely by anyone that takes it seriously.
Just look at the actual fighters in the clips they dance around and make their moves exactly as they know
that the fix is in. Then after some tag and bag they finish it. They could have finished it in first 3 seconds.
roger hao

Previous

Return to Video Links