Fake Taiji master in 1 min: Mizner’s “Power of Chi" Debunked

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Fake Taiji master in 1 min: Mizner’s “Power of Chi" Debunked

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:30 pm

Ramsey Dewey
Apr 7, 2023

I teach my students to replicate some of the most popular magic chi powers displayed by fake Taichi masters, and it only takes a minute. It is so laughably easy to debunk these qi power frauds that I’m shocked anyone with a functioning mind has ever bought into it.

A while back, we debunked some of Adam Mizner’s fake taichi magic tricks seen in the documentary film “the power of qi” where Adam uses recognizable professional athletes as pawns to promote himself as a master of “internal” martial arts power.

But the fake internal energy qi masters of the internet became furious and pointed out that my demo was different that Adam’s (because my demo partner wasn’t susceptible to the suggestion of the set up of the stunt, and Adam’s were)

So, in this video, we shall perform these magic tricks (I mean… qi powers) EXACTLY the same way they are done in Adam’s videos… which actually makes them much, much easier to do… so easy, in fact, that these tricks can be taught to complete noobs in under a minute.

Terms like “internal martial arts”, “internal energy”, “internal style” are often thrown around by people who can neither fight nor explain the biomechanics of the human body in order to feel better about being wimps.

So once again, let’s explore the vocabulary to articulate what’s real, what’s not, and what’s actually happening physically and psychologically in those earful fake taichi demos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhS_OQL8F1o
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Fake Taiji master in 1 min: Mizner’s “Power of Chi" Debunked

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:07 am

No one wants to touch this? Too hot? Lol!

What Ramsey show and speak about is of course aspects of Taijiquan. What's so strange about it? Why all the fuzz?

Leverage and structural advantage are key principles in Wrestling, Judo, BJJ etc etc.. If you understand it and use it well for your own advantage in most of arts it's considered "skill". Why are the same merely "tricks" when it's Tai Chi? :-\

So what Ramsey does is that he proves that the documentary is not faked or a set up, but that Adam in fact can do his stuff against much stronger and heavier people. Good for Adam I guess. And he gets a lot of free marketing as well. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:48 am

Bao wrote:No one wants to touch this? Too hot? Lol

I don't think it's worth any discussion. He shows Adam doing one thing then does something completely different. What has that got to do with anything?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:12 am

origami_itto wrote: He shows Adam doing one thing then does something completely different.

So what does Ramsey show and what does he do? What is the difference according to you?

Agreed that what he does looks quite different.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:29 am

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote: He shows Adam doing one thing then does something completely different.

So what does Ramsey show and what does he do? What is the difference according to you?

Agreed that what he does looks quite different.

For example, in the fingers on the fists push, Adam works off the given contact and through the extended arms.

Ramsey pulls the arms down and pins them to his belly and essentially pushes against his trunk.

I'm glad he's happy with the results of his training. I'm not giving this video much time. Same useless deal to me at the end of the day.
Last edited by origami_itto on Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:42 pm

Lots of good reasons exist to not like Adam Mizner.

In terms of his tai chi ability, he is in fact skilled. When younger he trained a very hard style of tong long. He was a dangerous and capable fighter.

Between a motorcycle accident, and a few other incidents, his physical ability is now greatly reduced, and he spends a fair amount of time in pain. Hence trying to work the tai chi game.

Again, not a fan and there's no way in hell I'd ever recommend him as a teacher to anyone in clear conscience. He is skilled at tai chi and that is, also, sadly a fact.
Last edited by Peacedog on Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:50 pm

Gee a lot of tai chi people have car and bike accidents that stop them from being tested
Any photos of Mizner in recovery
Secondly I don’t know of Henry Sue having any fighting reputation
I know plenty who trained with him who couldn’t hold up their hands
I had one instructor of his who came to me and said after the first lesson how great it was to get the advanced stuff
I explained what I had taught was the basics
This person had been training as long as me at that time
Why do you think Mizner is skilled
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:19 am

Bao wrote:
Leverage and structural advantage are key principles in Wrestling, Judo, BJJ etc etc.. If you understand it and use it well for your own advantage in most of arts it's considered "skill". Why are the same merely "tricks" when it's Tai Chi? :-\

Because that's all he ever does these days. and it comes across that that's all there is to tai chi. where's their other training like you would see in those systems?

What they tend to do primarily is teach technique and use live training to test their efficacy. That should be a bare minimum when something calls itself a martial art. The rest, the tricks so to speak, are the gravy. For the most part, the principles, the body skills and so on come as part and parcel of what they do. The 'tricks' may come a little slower, but that's probably a good thing.

If they are demonstrated in of themselves on compliant people they are 'tricks'... If it's used live and has a positive result, then rightly you have gained martial skills from them.

Adam gives (shows) you just the gravy where with the others you get the full meal. That's the difference, and where martial arts are concerned it's an absolutely huge one.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:39 pm

Cloudz....

You just described one of my issues with Mizner.

No one ever learns anything from him that allows them to develop what he has. His partner in crime Damo Mitchell is the same.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:13 pm

Peacedog wrote:Cloudz....

You just described one of my issues with Mizner.

No one ever learns anything from him that allows them to develop what he has. His partner in crime Damo Mitchell is the same.

How would one know ?

Feel only those who practice with Adam, know what they want and get from the training.
My observations of what he shows in some of the demos, much like many of what is shown by teachers from his line and others working with similar concepts including myself and my teachers group when he was alive..

The difference that for my teacher and others in China, much of the practice is relatively private as it always was until very recently…

In some aspects still is privet…

Find the discussions concerning Adam’s demos and others who demo the same things, echoed on Chinese sites, netizens echoing some of the comments here surprisingly….although there are more counter arguments presented based on historical and present accountings by practitioners who either practiced with some of the historical masters or their present day students noted for skill. The conversations are more nuanced.

Adam to my knowledge doesn’t present his practice as “fighting” per say although it is part of the context it’s framed in…

His back ground according to his bio, includes southern mantis..before moving on to taiji

Having some familiarity with S-mantis, if he was good at it, would say he had to have made some big changes in his practice although, from time to time there are traces of it’s influence still in his movements..

find his demos interesting, the progression he's made over the yrs....
don't always agree with his explanations of how he does things,,,what he does is kind of common, sometimes brought up on some of the Chinese chat groups I post on examples of foreigners who demo taiji skill sets......
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Video Links