Dong

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Dong

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:29 am

Bao wrote:
Bhassler wrote:My main takeaway from the original video is that Alex probably doesn't know how to use a hammer.

Agreed. Thought about that too. Lü Baochun actually uses the hammer as an analogy.

"Punch like a hammer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THhuW3H0WhA

If you listen closely, what mentions is getting the "intention" out, like a hammer...
Not using the body like a hammer,,,its different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33viJAfxXY&t=88s

Wei Shuren first met Lü at a taiji festival organized in 1986. Ten years later Wei sought out Lü in order to pass on his knowledge of taiji to him. In 1996 Lü started learning the Yang-style of taiji as a trainee in the inner circle of Wei.

Master Wei Shuren

Prior to meeting Master Wang Yongquan, Master Wei was a contented master of Chen style Tai Chi Chuan.

A friend told him of an old master with superlative skill that he must meet.
Master Wei famously said that there was nothing more for him to learn in Tai Chi Chuan since he had attained a high level of skill.

The friend persisted. Some two years later a reluctant Master Wei stood before Master Wang who was sitting down in a rattan chair. Master Wei was skeptical and it must have shown on his face. Master Wang waved Master Wei over.

Leaning back in his chair Master Wang asked Wei to extend his middle fingers. Master Wang grasped both of Wei's middle fingers by the tips, showed Wei that it would not be easy if not impossible to fajing him in this manner.

In the next instance Master Wei was thrown back, an expression of surprise on his face.
He had not expected this and in his heart knew that for all his Chen style attainment he just did not have anything close to what Master Wang just demonstrated on him.

So on the wrong side of fifty Master Wei set aside all that he had learned before and began to learn afresh from Master Wang.

Last edited by windwalker on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:50 am

Alex got trapped in a clumsy analogy by not really knowing how hammers work. It's an easy mistake to make. Charles and DGlenn did the same thing at different times in the past when they compared gear trains to body-unity. Analogies have limits and if those limits aren't known,...

No big deal, though, because the distinction he was making between striking and hitting is pretty clear. Kinda so ten years ago here at RSF ("hit me...no, I said hit me"), but it's an idea that deserves repeating ad nauseam because it's either overlooked, quickly forgotten, or is completely under the radar for most tai chi folks.

The distinction is critically important during a person's 'formative phase' of developing TJQ mind-body method.

90% of the dozens of people I've trained with tried to punch me in the face when they first worked through the "hit me" exercise. Can't really blame them since they were strapped into a pair of boxing gloves beforehand, and it's admittedly a set-up for most. One day, when I'd first started working through the exercise with new people, I had a guy who played hockey all his life kick me in the balls before I finished saying "me". Everyone in the room laughed more than I did. But we all laughed. I thought; "Damn! some people get it and if I ever try this drill with a rugby dude, I could get head-and-shouldered through the floor" After that I was a lot more careful with my angling.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:41 pm

BruceP wrote:Alex got trapped in a clumsy analogy ...

No big deal, though, because the distinction he was making between striking and hitting is pretty clear...

The distinction is critically important during a person's 'formative phase' of developing TJQ mind-body method.

Astute Observation!

90% of the dozens of people I've trained with tried to punch me in the face when they first worked through the "hit me" exercise. Can't really blame them since they were strapped into a pair of boxing gloves beforehand, and it's admittedly a set-up for most. One day, when I'd first started working through the exercise with new people, I had a guy who played hockey all his life kick me in the balls before I finished saying "me".

Hilarious Story!!!
:D :D :D
Trip
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links