Some nice Hsing I

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Some nice Hsing I

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:27 am

wayne hansen wrote:I have seen guys knocked out even in that protective gear

I know that's right! I learned early (1960's) that protective equipment has more of a psychological benefit than a physical benefit when engaging in full power, full contact fighting. I was still KO'd even when wearing headgear. In my Sifu's classes, those who experienced this had their names posted on the Ceiling Readers Club of America Board until they figured out how to avoid getting knocked down and/or out again regularly. LoL :o ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:41 pm

i'm not sure anyone's criticizing (or cares) if the people do "fighting" or not. I certainly do not. It doesn't matter to me if they fight prime Fedor or if Mizner fights prime Tyson. If there is a skill that seems interesting that normal people can learn, esp if it's "internal MA", I might be interested. If it's a skill that's movement based (external) and some of the best-in-the-world don't seem fast enough, I don't see how I as a non-pro can likely learn it. I don't really care about "appeal to authority" or "ad hominem" arguments (saying a top pro cannot do it is not logically the same as "appeal to authority"; it's sort of the opposite/converse/contrapositive(?)). Of course, if some demo person DID beat prime Fedor AND has some skill the rest of us can learn, even better.

but anyway I'm not sure if I watched the demo of the full contact guys in any case.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:51 pm

Doc Stier wrote:

I know that's right! I learned early (1960's) that protective equipment has more of a psychological benefit than a physical benefit when engaging in full power, full contact fighting. I was still KO'd even when wearing headgear. In my Sifu's classes, those who experienced this had their names posted on the Ceiling Readers Club of America Board until they figured out how to avoid getting knocked down and/or out again regularly. LoL :o ;D

Protective gear is funny that way, I know people who train for "Bogu" sparring which is in gi and wearing a space helmet with tiny gloves - rules allow all kinds of strikes, throws, armlocks but not chokes (space helmet would make it ridiculous). That said - the people I know who train for this don't train their head movement and the helmet makes the head so much bigger I'm not sure head movement is nearly as effective a strategy - when I was training more seriously I would usually go without and ask my partner not to try and kill me bc I'd respect being hit but knowing when I'd made him miss properly was really important for learning my distances.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:27 am

Doc Stier wrote:

There's an argument to be made that protective gear does more long term damage than bareknucks. Gloves protect the hands and the surface. The energy still travels into the body.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:46 am

origami_itto wrote:There's an argument to be made that protective gear does more long term damage than bareknucks. Gloves protect the hands and the surface. The energy still travels into the body.

Probably much so because you take repetitive hits. You also strike harder with gloves.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:32 pm

I remember my exams in 1966
We did a comprehension test and the subject was head gear and the damage it did in ammature boxing
I did little to stop damage to the brain while making dodging less effective
So it was a debating point even back then
With all the talk of micro concussion in sport mma is open to a lot of legal action in the future
After the first year of TST competition we learnt how to attack the protective gear
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:30 am

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:There's an argument to be made that protective gear does more long term damage than bareknucks. Gloves protect the hands and the surface. The energy still travels into the body.

Probably much so because you take repetitive hits. You also strike harder with gloves.

Oh yeah, definitely, and then if you get into a fight outside the ring, you punch with the same strength and break your hands!
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:32 am

wayne hansen wrote:I remember my exams in 1966
We did a comprehension test and the subject was head gear and the damage it did in ammature boxing
I did little to stop damage to the brain while making dodging less effective
So it was a debating point even back then
With all the talk of micro concussion in sport mma is open to a lot of legal action in the future
After the first year of TST competition we learnt how to attack the protective gear

I honestly can't think of a single thing stupider than pursuing a fight career. They don't pay these people enough for the work they have to do, the risk they take, and the damage they suffer.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:27 am

Just referencing the original videos on the first page of this thread: I really like them too, but I get the impression that the 'normal speed' scenes of him moving solo and doing applications are actually slightly speeded up. If so, this would be a pity. Anyone else see this?
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:37 am

Some he does at normal speed others play around with the speed
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links