Some nice Hsing I

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Some nice Hsing I

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:14 am

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:15 am

wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:18 am

The three clips I have posted above are all gao derivatives
I trained with Segner in Taiwan in 75
The next is warfox
The last is the guys who are heavily into MMA
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:19 am

wayne hansen wrote:https://youtu.be/WxPgV3pVqMQ

Nice demo,,
looks very functional :)

Sticking, same concept said to be used in taiji
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:26 am

wayne hansen wrote:The three clips I have posted above are all gao derivatives
The next is warfox

Training with people who can box,,,,might change some of the assumptions made....
regarding timing , distance, and reaction time.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:51 pm

windwalker wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:The three clips I have posted above are all gao derivatives
The next is warfox

Training with people who can box,,,,might change some of the assumptions made....

that would be nice to see as it seems in reality nobody would actually want to stay "in the pocket"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:48 pm

If you are referring to the clip from Japan
From the look I would say it’s from the 80’s
Senger was a high ranking Japanese karate black belt and if my memory is right a fighting champ
His people fought full contact in Taiwan and did pretty well
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:54 pm

everything wrote:Training with people who can box,,,,might change some of the assumptions made....
that would be nice to see as it seems in reality nobody would actually want to stay "in the pocket"

This is my main complaint, the range appreciation and the intent are just... not there. The lions share of videos claiming methods for "dealing with and X" lack a realistic example of X.
I'm not saying parry/cover as shown in the first video "can't" work, but I struggle to see it working "like that."

The japanese video is interesting and I appreciate the mixed ruleset sparring they were doing but the demonstrated exchanges looked very slappy and strange. There is stronger footwork in Gao, there are methods for advancing and attacking that aren't... slappy? I dunno, without being there who am I to judge. Truly.
Last edited by Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:55 pm

Sea.Wolf.Forge wrote:
everything wrote:Training with people who can box,,,,might change some of the assumptions made....

This is my main complaint, the range appreciation and the intent are just... not there. The lions share of videos claiming methods for "dealing with and X" lack a realistic example of X.
I'm not saying parry/cover as shown in the first video "can't" work, but I struggle to see it working "like that."

The japanese video is interesting and I appreciate the mixed ruleset sparring they were doing but the demonstrated exchanges looked very slappy and strange. There is stronger footwork in Gao, there are methods for advancing and attacking that aren't... slappy? I dunno, without being there who am I to judge. Truly.

"judging"

Look at it as more of sharing a view point based on one's own experience. :)

some boxing from a gym that one of my students father used to own in SF back in the day... NEWMANS GYM in SF. for comparison in understanding ranges.
Gorge Forman did some training there at one time

My student, interested developing clinching strategies based on taiji...
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:13 pm

i don't think i can stand "in the pocket" and roll a good jab that has zero footwork let alone one with good footwork ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. if people can do it, it'd be nice to see if so.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:16 am

everything wrote:i don't think i can stand "in the pocket" and roll a good jab that has zero footwork let alone one with good footwork ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. if people can do it, it'd be nice to see if so.

Boxers train to do it....

He mentions that he feels its his lower body reacting to the movement, controlling the upper body

Is it ?

With 2x the reach of the other person, among other things , doesn't help illustrate the point he's trying to make in the demo...

Understand its a "demo"

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:13 am

I guess even Mayweather Jr. and Tyson would probably be too slow (or it's faster to do some other defending)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQYeSXpC244

I guess we might say the other guy's arm is "rolled" by his shoulder/head so it creates time/space for his own counter-punch, though. I would guess that's all he has time/space for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsqn9xR_eeQ

the other guy's arm is mostly withdrawn much faster than the counter-punch happens. it just seems like it's withdrawn to a location that is not where the opening then is. if it's people who are slower, idk, i guess they could do the Gao bagua thing. at top level, doesn't seem like it's possible (even by some of the best).
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:21 am

arguably fedor did it, sort of, but he initiated the move, more of a guard-clearance, I suppose. not a reaction to a jab. i doubt fedor could pull off the gao bagua demo. he doesn't seem fast enough, either (but his attack was his defending for the most part .... except against cro cop and arlovski)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsM0WSiO8Cw

these demo things seem much more useful in some other context (like grip fighting in jacket wrestling for example). personally i still love the Gao bagua jab defending demo ... just not for defending a jab
everything
Wuji

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:34 pm

windwalker wrote:
everything wrote:i don't think i can stand "in the pocket" and roll a good jab that has zero footwork let alone one with good footwork ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. if people can do it, it'd be nice to see if so.

Boxers train to do it....

He mentions that he feels its his lower body reacting to the movement, controlling the upper body

Is it ?

With 2x the reach of the other person, among other things , doesn't help illustrate the point he's trying to make in the demo...

Understand its a "demo"

I got more disappointed seeing it a second time "He jabs" * throws a jab that stops a half-foot short of the target* yeah no shit you can work with that, I can do all kinds of things when the person can't possibly hit me. His stance is crazy wide but he doesn't shift his body at all, but doesn't have to, buddy throwing the jab is basically at kicking range... against a person too stretched out to possibly check a leg kick. The whole scenario is suspect. Suspect I say! But it has lived on the internet for 15 years nonetheless.

Pull-counters, parry-returns, spoiling all rely on responding to a punch that would otherwise hit you, it does depend on you having enough control in the exchange to see the hit coming and enough timing to not let it hit you - the only way to train it is by fucking up and getting hit in a safe environment - That's the nice thing about gloves, headgear, mouthguards and rules of engagement. If every slap is a deathblow and every tap is an eyepoke there isn't a lot of room for a learning curve.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:52 pm

These guys fought all the time
Gloves breast plates and kendo headgear
But full contact all the same
You are looking at one aspect of their training and think that’s all they have
I have seen guys knocked out even in that protective gear
wayne hansen
Wuji