Warm-ups Baji & Praying Mantis Wutan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Warm-ups Baji & Praying Mantis Wutan

Postby Bob on Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:55 am

Some of the warm-ups I learned around 1987 or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINlFSAKEuo

Eary Baji class Warm-ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINlFSAKEuo

We never discussed what they were or where they came from - just part of the praying mantis warm-ups before we started our kicking routine (I believe they are are from a version of 18 Lohan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Hd9tMF6EU

Early praying mantis class warm-ups

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Warm-ups Baji & Praying Mantis Wutan

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:19 am

nice ;)

many of them remind me of things we did long ago in Korea

no longer practiced :P

8 basic stance

Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bob on Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:56 am

Yeah, no longer do the praying mantis warm-ups - just going over notes on material and then surprisingly seeing them youtube - we didn't have youtube at that time LOL Ancient we are LOL
Last edited by Bob on Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:04 am

Bob wrote:Yeah, no longer do the praying mantis warm-ups - just going over notes on material and then surprisingly seeing them youtube - we didn't have youtube at that time LOL Ancient we are LOL

;D yes we might be

I meant I can no longer practice it, :P along with other methods/ styles ect due to
changes from the taiji that I've been practicing, for a while ..movement patterns completely different...different focus :)

do enjoy looking and reading about other methods, teachers and styles...lots of memories...

thanks for posting them :)
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:01 pm

Who are the people in these clips
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bob on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:50 pm

Wayne, I don't know them personally but from what I read they are part of Taiwan Wutan - I also think they also do a lot of 6 harmony mantis

Very appreciative of what my teacher taught us over a 28 year time period - much of the "external" material I no longer play due to time constraints and preference - just being a bit reflective and sharing material
Last edited by Bob on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:48 pm

Bob wrote:Yeah, no longer do the praying mantis warm-ups - just going over notes on material and then surprisingly seeing them youtube - we didn't have youtube at that time LOL Ancient we are LOL

Yes Ancient or getting there ;D

first encounter with the mantis style was in Korea

in the US military there when it was still under martial law.

My teacher never mentioned his teachers name, some 20yrs would pass before finding out who his teacher was

some might find the history interesting

"Korea (韓國) very close to Shan Dong province in China, the birthplace of Tang Lang Quan (Praying Mantis Boxing / 螳螂拳). Because of the geographical situation, a fluid relationship between these two locations would be expected, but over the years the exchange has been impacted by historical or political situations.

Modern times have been difficult for Korea. The peninsula went through a horrendous Japanese occupation, was affected by the Chinese Communist Revolution and finally suffered a terrible Civil War. It is under the light of these events that we have to understand the transmission of the Chinese boxing styles in Korea.

Although several modern Korean styles such as Hwa Rang Do, Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan and Kuk Sool Won claim Chinese roots or influences, in most cases the historical links and the stylistic similarities are not evident. On this article we will concentrate on verifiable transmission of Tang Lang Quan."

Good resource for those interested in the historical lineage of mantis.

Welcome to "The Mantis Cave"
Fernando
Blanco-Dopazo's
Mantis Boxing Page
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bob on Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:33 am

We called this, " Eating the Sun" Many subtleties in this (take your medicine translate eat your medicine so "Eating the Sun" taking in the sun i.e. yang qi - usually done facing the sun in the morning and evening - minimally you get your free vitamin D LOL)

Wutan baji/bagua hun yuan neigong - some say it's of baji
Others say its origin is from Gong Baotian bagua - tiny bit different in my execution as the arm and elbows should close sooner similar to white ape offers peach

https://youtu.be/PZuxpPmzDGQ

Last edited by Bob on Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:20 pm

"Eating the Sun" - Noted - one subtle aspect - natural way for developing "reverse" breathing
Last edited by Bob on Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:11 am

Bob
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:35 pm

in the US military there when it was still under martial law.
My teacher never mentioned his teachers name, some 20yrs would pass before finding out who his teacher was
some might find the history interesting

Osan was the place where I initially learn some basics of paquazhang back around (1977-1978). The teacher was said to be Liu Shui Tang although
I was not told the name unitl I moved back to USA and someone wrote a article on Bok Nam Parks teacher. The school was located at the edge of town outside OSan AFB!
We learned 'mechanics' and structure while form was not seen as primary as it is in USA

Although several modern Korean styles such as Hwa Rang Do, Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan and Kuk Sool Won claim Chinese roots or influences, in most cases the historical links and the stylistic similarities

Though many of the arts existed and allegedly died out, many of the original Korean masters studied Shotokan and as a result they began an arduous task of recreating what they understood as representative
of the specific arts of the day! Interesting to note that Hwa Rang Do was said to use principles of Aikido, another ??? Japanese art
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Video Links