Post your Beng Quan videos!

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Post your Beng Quan videos!

Postby Appledog on Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:30 pm

Hi! I have a great idea. Everyone post a short video of yourself or a friend doing Beng Quan! This iconic move, made doubly famous by legends of killing bulls and horses with a single blow, triply famous by the story of Guo Yun Shen, is deceptively simple and powerful. What do you think about Beng Quan? And, who do you think does Beng Quan better in my video, the girl or the boy? Post your Beng Quan videos today!

Last edited by Appledog on Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Re: Post your Beng Quan videos!

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:15 am

Okay sure.
I don't normally practice my Xingyiquan, but this is the roughish sort of idea.

EDIT: SO BAAD. I am not even finishing the movement. Damn you appledog for starting this now I have to train some xingyi.
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:15 am

I haven't dusted off a beng chuan for ages, piquan and dragon are my go to xingyi practices. even then not much.
I'll do it (for fun) if you do. after all what else is this good for.

prefer the boys form so far.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:13 am

Good place to start. Note the chan si jin in the punches - can be trained effectively with da qiang providing that most of the thrusting and retraction is driven by the waist and grounded in the footwork rather than shoulders and arms - neigong is also a helpful contributor - one part of a larger picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2UABZtl01s

11,525 views Nov 10, 2019 Xingyi Quan Ten Minute Primers
This is the fifth video in a series of Xingyi Quan Ten Minute Primer Videos. The aim of these videos will be to introduce the key points regarding training methods and basic fundamental aspects of Xingyi Quan that anyone can follow, whether they are new to the art or practice it already.

In this primer video I will introduce and explain the basic theory and practice methods of the third of the five element fists, Beng Quan (Crushing Fist). While there are numerous variations of Beng Quan, in this primer video I shall cover the fundamental details and standard execution within my Hebei line of Xingyi Quan. In general all methods and variations of Beng Quan adhere to and implement the principles that I shall present here.

Last edited by Bob on Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:59 pm

Master Yang Hai expertly demonstrating Beng

Zhao Yongchang's son demonstrating all 5 elements. His Bengquan is excellent

Last edited by kenneth fish on Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:58 am

origami_itto wrote:EDIT: SO BAAD. I am not even finishing the movement. Damn you appledog for starting this now I have to train some xingyi.

I don't think it's bad. In fact it is the best video so far. All of the others are not really videos the poster took themself, even though they are awesome videos. For example ZYC's son's work, it is exciting and alive, like fireworks! :)
Last edited by Appledog on Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:52 am

Appledog wrote:
origami_itto wrote:EDIT: SO BAAD. I am not even finishing the movement. Damn you appledog for starting this now I have to train some xingyi.

I don't think it's bad. In fact it is the best video so far. All of the others are not really videos the poster took themself, even though they are awesome videos. For example ZYC's son's work, it is exciting and alive, like fireworks! :)

Thank you for you encouragement. I did at least complete the assignment to spec. WHERE ARE THE REST OF YOU COWARDS!?

I have decided to work on it. Master Choi's Xingyiquan deserves to be done correctly. Will be fun to see the progress I think and it's great cardio.

One major difference with his Xingyi is that the power comes on that follow step.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:59 am

I love how he asks everyone to post their own videos and then he post videos of some beginner kids! I can’t be bothered to upload a video to Youtube and then link to it here, so this will have to do:
https://youtu.be/Eg2AF8_Xc_Q
My method of power generation is quite similar and I train similar exercises, highly-recommended!
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:31 am

kenneth fish wrote:Master Yang Hai expertly demonstrating Beng

Zhao Yongchang's son demonstrating all 5 elements. His Bengquan is excellent

Two fine examples!
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:16 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I love how he asks everyone to post their own videos and then he post videos of some beginner kids! I can’t be bothered to upload a video to Youtube and then link to it here, so this will have to do:
https://youtu.be/Eg2AF8_Xc_Q
My method of power generation is quite similar and I train similar exercises, highly-recommended!

Please re-read the OP; This thread is not about posting videos of yourself. It is about posting videos of yourself [b]or a friend,[]/b] which means someone you know personally. For example, Hai Yang taught Dr. Fish, and I posted videos of my son and daughter.

FWIW, your Shanzaidao part three video is awesome and contains excellent follow-step fundamentals. Sans weapon it is probably closer to how beng quan was originally performed. Here, I'll post it for you:

By the way thanks for posting the Feng Zhengbao video. 24:55 to 25:15 shows some interesting two person training. If you really do train like that, that's awesome! That kind of training is very good.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:43 am

origami_itto wrote:
Appledog wrote:

Thank you for you encouragement. I did at least complete the assignment to spec. WHERE ARE THE REST OF YOU COWARDS!?

I have decided to work on it. Master Choi's Xingyiquan deserves to be done correctly. Will be fun to see the progress I think and it's great cardio.

One major difference with his Xingyi is that the power comes on that follow step.

I don't have a Beng video, but will little Pi do? I have a really different idea of how the hand and foot coordinate to the above. I've seen people do it on the back foot though. Can't say I'm a fan. But to each their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDcXoxu_Utw
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:31 am

Hey, sorry to be a pain, but I’d like to see people sharing more of their own work! If I could directly upload to the forum, I would, but I don’t want to clutter my Youtube channel with random clips. You are right about the swordsmanship. It is very much influenced by my Xinyiliuhequan and vice versa. They complement each other. I’m glad that you enjoyed the video. I hope to start teaching here in Spain soon and eventually producing another unarmed or dagger video.

As to Feng Zhengbao’s video, I have trained some of those partner exercises in the past, but have turned my system into a boxing alternative, to keep it simple. I was referring to his power-generating exercises. There are also sections of the video that may be semi-choreographed sparring, but that looks very similar to what we do. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t choreographed. I have no affiliation with the man, but he seems very legitimate! There’s not much out there that is similar to what I’ve learned. Based on those exercises I would wager that his strikes would feel exactly the same as ours!
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:09 am

GrahamB wrote:
I don't have a Beng video, but will little Pi do? I have a really different idea of how the hand and foot coordinate to the above. I've seen people do it on the back foot though. Can't say I'm a fan. But to each their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDcXoxu_Utw

There are actually three points you can generate power in the movement. There's a double arrow and triple arrow combination with two and three punches per step but I'm not even gonna try those with the condition I'm in.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links