Nice traditional crane

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Nice traditional crane

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:48 pm

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Nice traditional crane

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:18 am

Very nice,,,, :)

reminded me of a lot things done long ago....
good training

Tibetan white crane sister style of hop gar

In the Fighting Circle, two positions are possible- in the middle defending turf, or on the circle, probing and attempting to penetrate. These two positions change constantly. This is the microcosmic crucible that represents the struggle of life. All of discrepancies of character, strengths, and weaknesses will be revealed in the Fighting Circle.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:06 pm

windwalker wrote:two positions are possible- in the middle defending turf, or on the circle, probing and attempting to penetrate. These two positions change constantly. This is the microcosmic crucible that represents the struggle of life. All of discrepancies of character, strengths, and weaknesses will be revealed in the Fighting Circle.

As I was taught, I may initially circle, probing for opportunities to enter the center of the circle, but when I do, it is to deliver instant karma to the assailant(s), not to play defense in that position.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:28 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
windwalker wrote:two positions are possible- in the middle defending turf, or on the circle, probing and attempting to penetrate. These two positions change constantly. This is the microcosmic crucible that represents the struggle of life. All of discrepancies of character, strengths, and weaknesses will be revealed in the Fighting Circle.

As I was taught, I may initially circle, probing for opportunities to enter the center of the circle, but when I do, it is to deliver instant karma to the assailant(s), not to play defense in that position.

Didn't write it...a caption under the clip...

"but when I do"

One might. ask "do what" :)

Do or did you practice Tibetan white crane...?

In this clip..watch the feet, each step landing on one of the stars, representing plum flower poles
Foot work an integral part of the method

The Fighting Circle
The Fighting Circle set can function as either a solo or two persons set as it has both sides 'A' and 'B'. The Fighting Circle teaches a student how to evade on the defensive circle (Two Step/Den Choi) and how to strike on the offensive circle (Five Star, Triangle In). In this set, the overhand is used at each direction, charge or uppercuts are used on the triangle in, and the fist hook is used at the corners of the circle

The method very distinctive in use...practiced movement translates to practical straight forward usage, once fundamental basics are ingrained,
burned in through usage..

ape or gorilla style bad outcome for someone thinking they can " deliver instant karma to the assailant"
might be for a rude awaking ;D

Vallejo 3 Gorilla Warfare 2
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:03 pm

I have great respect for the White Crane styles, having learned some Fukien White Crane Style from my late SPM teacher, Mark Gin-Foon Sifu.

However, that's irrelevant to my earlier comment acknowledging that different styles, with much different external form expressions, may all be capable of developing effective whole body movements nonetheless.

No single style or system has a monopoly on such skills.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:23 pm

Tibetan White Crane looks to be more of a long-fist style (YMMV), and is unrelated to the Fukien White Crane styles.

Something maybe lost among all the marketing and one dimensional thinking is how hard jibengong seems to often be a pre-requisite for functional softness in the more finished art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7tclMp ... l=EricLing
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:24 pm

windwalker wrote:Do or did you practice Tibetan white crane...?

ape or gorilla style bad outcome for someone thinking they can " deliver instant karma to the assailant"

A rude awakening? Maybe. Maybe not. In any case, I love that you're so easily inclined to overestimate yourself and underestimate me. It's all good!

Also, that Fighting Circle sparring is definitely not what I was referring to regarding defense on the circle and counterattacks at the center, but it looks like it would be both fun and informative.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:29 pm

Two very different martial arts there
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:25 pm

Bhassler wrote:

Tibetan White Crane looks to be more of a long-fist style (YMMV), and is unrelated to the Fukien White Crane styles.

Something maybe lost among all the marketing and one dimensional thinking is how hard jibengong seems to often be a pre-requisite for functional softness in the more finished art.

Its not really, totally different although later some elements of the root style it was developed from would be Incorporated into other styles. The conditioning was for fighting,,not health, meditation, or developing ones Qi, although this too as in all CMA arts an integral aspect that allowed for many of the specialty hands to work.

Doc Stier wrote:

A rude awakening? Maybe. Maybe not. In any case, I love that you're so easily inclined to overestimate yourself and underestimate me. It's all good!

Also, that Fighting Circle sparring is definitely not what I was referring to regarding defense on the circle and counterattacks at the center, but it looks like it would be both fun and informative.

Not at all, have a very sound understanding of my skill set and present ability...
Used to spar all comers many yrs back in proving the system..
Those who boxed among my favorites

They among others had a very hard time dealing with the long arm,
provided that one really had the conditioning and understanding of the foot work burned in though usage.

Have complete respect for many here, :)

The comment in reference

An indication "could be wrong" of maybe not understanding the system feeling there is a defensive and offensive aspect to it..
The system as we practiced was about intercepting, preempting, destroying , ape and crane aspects, motion in stillness, stillness in motion...
nothing about defending...everything about attacking...just different modes. Depending on one's nature..which one was favored ....

Some of Chin Shifu's "David Chin's". hop gar

Chin Shifu,
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:22 pm

With all due respect for your opinion, I understand the Shen Men Tao (SMT) System I was taught very well, thanks. :)

May you continue to do likewise with your respective styles or system. Again, it's all good! 8-)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:08 am

Some observations. I see Tibetan White Crane passed around a bit here. There is nothing special about any of the videos I have seen, in fact they are at best par for the course, if not a little on the bland side. The kungfu contestants in the 1991 Canadian Tai Chi and Push Hands competition, did better white crane and longfist style than demonstrated on here. I saw much better traditional skills at the 1995 Baltimore/USAWKF international tournament. Members in my lineage do better white crane (tibetan and southern). I don't mean in a white crane lineage either I mean just as a hobby art. I think this is my personal perception because I see aspects of our own art shining through and I misperceive them as better. I'm not sure.

But I also have the benefit of living in Taiwan which seems to be a major hub of southern white crane and I have by association witnessed all of their basic training methods. If you notice, some white crane, hung gar, wing chun and so forth players have an almost robotic, unreal illusory nature to their arm movements in the form. This is because they stand in horse stance and perform repetitive movements until they literally pass out or fall over. Falling over, BTW, considered the easy way out.

If you have ever seen people who have real traditional skills, like Pui Chan for example, who can do amazing things, they are on another level. I have the greatest respect for people who are willing to dedicate their life to the art like that. Another fun example is that guy on tiktok who jumps over 10 chairs in a row or does a standing jump over his head level (its funny because he walks around like an old man as a joke before and after).

Anyways in the end what I have learned is that it matters less what you do and more the time and effort you put into it. As for me, I know exactly how much time and effort I put into what I do, and it is more than anyone else here. I don't think that makes me a better fighter but I just know that it means I spent more time. How do I know this? Because if I find out you did more than me I will just do more than you next time :) I think dealing with things that way is a way to make friends and train, share and learn together. Gotta be the best.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:04 am

Appledog wrote:Some observations. I see Tibetan White Crane passed around a bit here. There is nothing special about any of the videos I have seen, in fact they are at best par for the course, if not a little on the bland side. The kungfu contestants in the 1991 Canadian Tai Chi and Push Hands competition, did better white crane and longfist style than demonstrated on here. I saw much better traditional skills at the 1995 Baltimore/USAWKF international tournament. Members in my lineage do better white crane (tibetan and southern). I don't mean in a white crane lineage either I mean just as a hobby art. I think this is my personal perception because I see aspects of our own art shining through and I misperceive them as better. I'm not sure.

But I also have the benefit of living in Taiwan which seems to be a major hub of southern white crane and I have by association witnessed all of their basic training methods. If you notice, some white crane, hung gar, wing chun and so forth players have an almost robotic, unreal illusory nature to their arm movements in the form. This is because they stand in horse stance and perform repetitive movements until they literally pass out or fall over. Falling over, BTW, considered the easy way out.

If you have ever seen people who have real traditional skills, like Pui Chan for example, who can do amazing things, they are on another level. I have the greatest respect for people who are willing to dedicate their life to the art like that. Another fun example is that guy on tiktok who jumps over 10 chairs in a row or does a standing jump over his head level (its funny because he walks around like an old man as a joke before and after).

Anyways in the end what I have learned is that it matters less what you do and more the time and effort you put into it. As for me, I know exactly how much time and effort I put into what I do, and it is more than anyone else here. I don't think that makes me a better fighter but I just know that it means I spent more time. How do I know this? Because if I find out you did more than me I will just do more than you next time :) I think dealing with things that way is a way to make friends and train, share and learn together. Gotta be the best.

The one advantage you have over everyone else here is that your head's so far up your own ass, you can physically see your dantien.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:59 am

windwalker wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:

Appledog wrote:
Bhassler wrote:Anyways in the end what I have learned is that it matters less what you do and more the time and effort you put into it. [...] :) I think dealing with things that way is a way to make friends and train, share and learn together. Gotta be the best.

The one advantage you have over everyone else here is that your head's so far up your own ass, you can physically see your dantien.

I should probably apologize because I don't think I communicated my thoughts properly. So sorry about that. I will keep what you said in mind for the future. Thanks.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:33 am

Doc Stier wrote:With all due respect for your opinion, I understand the Shen Men Tao (SMT) System I was taught very well, thanks. :)

May you continue to do likewise with your respective styles or system. Again, it's all good! 8-)

Likewise

You do understand the thread had nothing to do with your practice or what you do .

My comment in reference to what some may feel are similarities in what they do or did.
I would say it’s quite a different method

Of course with out seeing any of your method might be hard to say

Always good :)
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:40 am

I'm gonna be the best one first and for the longest time. You'll see, LOL

My head's so far up my ass I can tickle my Bai Hui with my tongue and sniff below the earth with my nose

It's called Dantianception

Attending my first Systema Seminar in Belgium with Vladimir, I hope it's going to be interesting :-)
Quigga

Next

Return to Video Links