Joey Nishad Interviews Adam Mizner on learning Taijiquan!

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Joey Nishad Interviews Adam Mizner on learning Taijiquan!

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 am

Haven't watched it yet, I'm sure it'll inspire some reactions.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Joey Nishad Interviews Adam Mizner on learning Taijiquan!

Postby Shinobi on Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:02 pm

I haven't watched the full thing yet either. I saw recently that Joey has offered $5000 AUD to Liang Dehua and others to do to him what is shown on this video.

Shinobi
Santi

Postby Appledog on Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:30 pm

Shinobi wrote:I haven't watched the full thing yet either. I saw recently that Joey has offered $5000 AUD to Liang Dehua and others to do to him what is shown on this video.

It's actually not a bad interview, it explains Adam's background and teaching philosophy in a rather fair manner. I would say that if you wanted to get a fair assessment of Das Mizzenschpiel's skill level, that even if you didn't have a strong background but just "knew what you were after", you could get a fair appraisal of what you could learn from the MizMaster.

Thailand is also an interesting choice for several reasons (mainly financial). Likely a very under-rated place to be. As is Taiwan.

WRT Joey's $5000, it's a nice offer but it is essentially (and should be) tournament money. The issue is far less that there are a few... shall we say... "outliers" in the CMA community. It is that these outliers rarely if ever view themselves as part of a larger whole. The statement "Tai Chi is one family..." etc. is one made by the original masters, and is often ignored among Tai Chi schools today because of a lack of such community.

I would see Joey's $5000, raise $5,000 and say lets do a tournament. You see, the $5000 sits idly doing nothing. The $10,000 actively attacks the reputation of turtles because they become irreverent. There must be a scene or the art will die. A school that does not maintain contact with the larger community is a dry, boring, stifling place to learn that will chill your fire and kill your tai chi spirit.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:59 pm

Appledog wrote: There must be a scene or the art will die. A school that does not maintain contact with the larger community is a dry, boring, stifling place to learn that will chill your fire and kill your tai chi spirit.

Yes, this.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:51 pm

any TLDR on who is joey, why do we care, etc etc
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:26 am

He's one of the more vocal taijiquan folks on Facebook.

He posts things that, in his own words, perhaps five people in the world have the capacity to understand.

He is very passionate and people I think highly of think highly of him. We have argued over manners.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby denchen on Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:31 am

Well his money is safe as his demo relies on willing goons to perform the involuntary hopping about.
That said I've seen folk on here present similar 'work' for whom it should be an easy buck.

I'd rather see a $5k challenge for 3min free pushing and him not ending up on his ass, as evidence
of a practical skill.
denchen
Mingjing

Postby windwalker on Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:09 am

It takes years really

Indeed good interview a salient point

with out the knowledge of what the outcome is

Having run into this myself no real way to measure the outcome with out having gone through the point of measurement

Always interesting in working with others, as they reach the same milestones, asking or feeling the same frustrations of working on
something they "think it is" with out having reached a point of knowing what "it is"
Knowing in this case demonstrated usage ..
One may "know" something with out being able to explain it..

asking "how do they know" when or if they've reached it...
Often doubting or questioning their own experiences when working with others that would answer their questions. :)

Always interesting, those asking what others can do to them, rather than what can "they" do to others.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:10 am

Joey is one of Mizner's students. If you believe that Mizner's stuff is mostly trickery, then the offer works well, as all the very large man has to do to preserve his money from those not within the "business arrangement" is not hop.
Last edited by Bhassler on Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:47 am

Regardless of whether anyone here likes Adam's work or not, it was a good interview. That doesn't surprise me at all. Adam is quite accustomed to public speaking and to working in front of a camera. He is highly skilled at both.

The only surprise for me, unrelated to the interview, was Joey's challenge offer of a sizable cash prize, seemingly directed primarily at Liang Dehua, who I thought was a personal friend of Adam's. Go figure! :o ::)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:34 pm

I met Joey a couple of months ago, he was in Spain for a weekend so I took the chance.

It's a lovely guy and has very interesting skills. Several friends from southern mantis were visiting the area that weekend and Joey was willing to train together, lots of fun.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:38 pm

Edited :P

rereading his comments its not clear...

what he's on about :P
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:56 pm

origami_itto wrote:He's one of the more vocal taijiquan folks on Facebook.

He posts things that, in his own words, perhaps five people in the world have the capacity to understand.

He is very passionate and people I think highly of think highly of him. We have argued over manners.

thanks, these 3 points are all in the "negative column" for me, lol, except the last one seems + and -. :-\ :P
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:11 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Regardless of whether anyone here likes Adam's work or not, it was a good interview. That doesn't surprise me at all. Adam is quite accustomed to public speaking and to working in front of a camera. He is highly skilled at both.

The only surprise for me, unrelated to the interview, was Joey's challenge offer of a sizable cash prize, seemingly directed at a teacher (Liang), who I thought was a personal friend of Adam's.

If so, why would any student choose to generate a potential conflict between their teacher and one of the teacher's close, personal friends? Even if that wasn't the intended plan, the mere appearance of that being true is a bad look, imo, for everyone who is a part of it. :o ::)

Maaaaaannnn, I do NOT want to get in the middle of that drama, lol. Suffice it to say that Kung Fu people can be petty and throw shade with the best of the Real Housewives of Atlanta. I just want to get thrown around and steer clear of their politics.

I'm just saying 5K PLUS the cost of the trip and we can talk.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:14 pm

I will say the only thing I've really seen from either Liang Dehua OR Joey is cooperative demonstrations or working with their own students so not much useful can be drawn from it IIMHO.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links