Joey Nishad Interviews Adam Mizner on learning Taijiquan!

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Joey Nishad Interviews Adam Mizner on learning Taijiquan!

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:21 am

origami_itto wrote:He described "what chi is" in detail.

Agreed. He explained it from his POV and experience. Don't know how anyone could ask for anything more.

Maybe the awareness itself is QI? It gets fuzzy.

I don't think so. But awareness is deeply connected to what ppl feel and label as "qi". That doesn't mean that what you feel automatically is "qi".

Anything can be explained.

Generally agree. However, if something is explained, it still does not mean that it is understood. Some things need experience.

Appledog wrote:, I know we can discover the secret.

What secret? What should be a secret? Qi? But qi is no secret. Tai Chi is designed to stimulate and nourish the qi. So if you practice correctly you nourish the qi. In Tai Chi, there's no secret, there's only practice and not practice. Intellectualizing is not practice and not Tai Chi. So if you "think" about qi, you are not practicing Tai Chi, you are just wasting your time and effort.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:05 am

origami_itto wrote:I'm definitely open to discussing your conception and ideas. I hope that you can also seek to understand the concept that I am communicating here as well.

The way things work is there is a thing, an a prior thing of some sort. It has qualities that define it. We attach words to those qualities individually and words to those things collectively. [...] That being said, you're describing what religious scholars describe as "the heresy of translation".

Yeah that is pretty much exactly what I mean and I am glad that you took the time to understand my concern on that end of things. I'm not the best communicator either. So the direction that goes is that words aside, videos aside, in the end things should be demonstrated in person. I totally get that. But a part of me wants to see what we can come up with in words. Mainly out of convenience, because, here we are. Maybe if we started a forum discord things would be easier to share in a video format.

origami_itto wrote:I agree that in many ways attempting to be a lay scholar of a martial art from another culture is a fools errand, but it passes the time. We have to follow their directions, make sure we've got it right, then translate our experience into terms that make sense within the context of our own culture.

This perhaps should be another thread for clarity.

We can start a new thread about this but what would it be called?

Anyways given the heresy of translation and the apparent difficulty in guaranteeing a full understanding of the context of words like chi, I still feel that chi has an important, central role in Tai Chi. In the physical tangible practice and use of it. Why is the word there in the first place Why is the concept of chi imprtant in tai chi? Why is it there? Is it some sort of magic sauce? My take, which is based on what I felt during practice, is that it is so simple it is right in front of your face and the magic is you already know it. But, you need to add 2 and 2 together to use it. I think people are too concerned with high level qi practice that they miss the obvious cues they are getting and skip over their own "level" of chi and the amazing use they could get out of it.

It's the feeling you get from correct practice (duh, right? But I am not phrasing this as a mysterious intangible thing. I am saying you have it, now, already. You must.) It's the feeling you get. It's like a clock. it's like a compass. At first it is random, perhaps nonsensical (apparently unrelated) feelings. Warmth. Tingling. Feeling like your having surgery without anasthetic. Whatever. But one day when you are bored you see it out of the corner of your inner eye. It's just like the old masters said. Sun lutang said "nuturing the small". Feng Zhiquang said "one grain of hunyuan qi". Chen Zhenglei said "moving qi is the central method of taijiquan". The Yangs said it too. Chen Xin said the central idea of taiji is maintaining qi flow in meridians. The ancients said it as well; Mencius was known for his zhong qi. What is zhong qi? Two chopsticks sticking up out of a potato. That is just like "a pot of rice on a fire". They operate on a sliding scale. So I believe that these cues and feelings are the proof that one is doing things 100% correctly. If one is not feeling these things it is a cue to look at the fundamentals. Maybe I am not song enough? Maybe I am not sinking properly? Maybe I am not clear about where my weight should be? Maybe I am being impatient or my mind is not concentrating?

So what do you think, is it viable? In your experience do you think all people follow a similar pattern of development of the inner sight? Or, are the feelings different? If the feelings are different then the concept of qi may truly be a lost cause. However, if the feelings and visions (nei shi) are all the same, then I do believe there is worth in talking about them, even if only theoretically. And I believe it is then possible to define a set of practices, or rules for practice (such as "suspend the headtop as if from above") that can lead one to the intended qi-feelings. Does that sound close?

Bao wrote:What secret? What should be a secret?

Just consider it a bad joke. It's an emperor palpatine reference :)
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:41 am

Appledog wrote:
origami_itto wrote:I'm definitely open to discussing your conception and ideas. I hope that you can also seek to understand the concept that I am communicating here as well.

The way things work is there is a thing, an a prior thing of some sort. It has qualities that define it. We attach words to those qualities individually and words to those things collectively. [...] That being said, you're describing what religious scholars describe as "the heresy of translation".

Yeah that is pretty much exactly what I mean and I am glad that you took the time to understand my concern on that end of things. I'm not the best communicator either. So the direction that goes is that words aside, videos aside, in the end things should be demonstrated in person. I totally get that. But a part of me wants to see what we can come up with in words. Mainly out of convenience, because, here we are. Maybe if we started a forum discord things would be easier to share in a video format.

origami_itto wrote:I agree that in many ways attempting to be a lay scholar of a martial art from another culture is a fools errand, but it passes the time. We have to follow their directions, make sure we've got it right, then translate our experience into terms that make sense within the context of our own culture.

Here's my attempt: https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... c2fe468f9a

Anyways given the heresy of translation and the apparent difficulty in guaranteeing a full understanding of the context of words like chi, I still feel that chi has an important, central role in Tai Chi. In the physical tangible practice and use of it. Why is the word there in the first place Why is the concept of chi imprtant in tai chi? Why is it there? Is it some sort of magic sauce? My take, which is based on what I felt during practice, is that it is so simple it is right in front of your face and the magic is you already know it. But, you need to add 2 and 2 together to use it. I think people are too concerned with high level qi practice that they miss the obvious cues they are getting and skip over their own "level" of chi and the amazing use they could get out of it.

It's the feeling you get from correct practice (duh, right? But I am not phrasing this as a mysterious intangible thing. I am saying you have it, now, already. You must.) It's the feeling you get. It's like a clock. it's like a compass. At first it is random, perhaps nonsensical (apparently unrelated) feelings. Warmth. Tingling. Feeling like your having surgery without anasthetic. Whatever. But one day when you are bored you see it out of the corner of your inner eye. It's just like the old masters said. Sun lutang said "nuturing the small". Feng Zhiquang said "one grain of hunyuan qi". Chen Zhenglei said "moving qi is the central method of taijiquan". The Yangs said it too. Chen Xin said the central idea of taiji is maintaining qi flow in meridians. The ancients said it as well; Mencius was known for his zhong qi. What is zhong qi? Two chopsticks sticking up out of a potato. That is just like "a pot of rice on a fire". They operate on a sliding scale. So I believe that these cues and feelings are the proof that one is doing things 100% correctly. If one is not feeling these things it is a cue to look at the fundamentals. Maybe I am not song enough? Maybe I am not sinking properly? Maybe I am not clear about where my weight should be? Maybe I am being impatient or my mind is not concentrating?

So what do you think, is it viable? In your experience do you think all people follow a similar pattern of development of the inner sight? Or, are the feelings different? If the feelings are different then the concept of qi may truly be a lost cause. However, if the feelings and visions (nei shi) are all the same, then I do believe there is worth in talking about them, even if only theoretically. And I believe it is then possible to define a set of practices, or rules for practice (such as "suspend the headtop as if from above") that can lead one to the intended qi-feelings. Does that sound close?

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Underground_IMA on Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:07 am

Couldn't get past 5 minutes of a video where the teacher is criticizing other teachers as lacking skill and doing "party tricks" when the speaker does the same. it is called hypocritical.
There was a video online where the speaker could not do his magical pushes on some chinese guys at a time he was advertise self as a PH god. Joey is the online bully and defender of his garbage.
Underground_IMA
Santi

Postby everything on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:20 am

Appledog wrote:

unfortunately people don't seem to want to talk about it, even though it should be the "101" class homework. we want to talk about the map or another map of something different. we want to talk about some external technique or weight shift or something. or maybe we're just too low level or inexperienced to try to share anything from the "inside". or moving qi inside the body isn't so "exciting". or people cannot do the baby stuff at all. or if some of you are higher level, it's still hard to convey. or if you can do stuff on the "inside", it's too hard to integrate with the "outside". or maybe someone hasn't learned much "outside" stuff, either. or people are deluded about their level. or like fantasy-master-lecturing. it's a bit hard to tell from most people's posts, and i'd disagree about video, b/c we can't see your "inside" invisible stuff happening or not happening. but from self-reported feelings/experiences, it seems there is a good bit of commonality.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:48 pm

everything wrote:unfortunately people don't seem to want to talk about it, even though it should be the "101" class homework. we want to talk about the map or another map of something different. we want to talk about some external technique or weight shift or something. or maybe we're just too low level or inexperienced to try to share anything from the "inside". or moving qi inside the body isn't so "exciting". or people cannot do the baby stuff at all. or if some of you are higher level, it's still hard to convey. or if you can do stuff on the "inside", it's too hard to integrate with the "outside". or maybe someone hasn't learned much "outside" stuff, either. or people are deluded about their level. or like fantasy-master-lecturing. it's a bit hard to tell from most people's posts, and i'd disagree about video, b/c we can't see your "inside" invisible stuff happening or not happening. but from self-reported feelings/experiences, it seems there is a good bit of commonality.

I don't know why people don't want to talk about it but maybe if people are between the knowledge level and the internalization (wu wei) level it can be difficult to talk about it clearly.

For example, for a very (very) long time I was suspicious about the HSS/CMC type lineages. Then recently I met up with a dragon from the park, a new player, who showed me some of the stuff from the Mizner program he had been doing including "song gong #1." As we went through the details I instantly recognized the relaxation force from the ground that I had self discovered just from following other people doing Yang style in the park. So now, I have some newfound respect for Mizner's/HSS's stuff, (in contrast to traditional Yang/etc). Somehow they found a way to 'teach' that so people wouldn't have to work so hard (or be lucky) to hit upon it.

What I don't like is when people haven't had time to "wu wei" the knowledge into their body, they tend to bring in outside analogies that don't make a lot of sense to me. Or say that this knowledge is not in certain other styles or branches of Tai Chi. I think at that point too much talking will just get in the way of learning and internalizing your art.

So my latest epiphany is these are just two different approaches to the same goal. I think that if more people understood this there would be less bickering between the CMC and TradYang (and chen etc) crowds. There would be more understanding between them.
Last edited by Appledog on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:44 pm

Appledog wrote:
everything wrote:unfortunately people don't seem to want to talk about it, even though it should be the "101" class homework. we want to talk about the map or another map of something different. we want to talk about some external technique or weight shift or something. or maybe we're just too low level or inexperienced to try to share anything from the "inside". or moving qi inside the body isn't so "exciting". or people cannot do the baby stuff at all. or if some of you are higher level, it's still hard to convey. or if you can do stuff on the "inside", it's too hard to integrate with the "outside". or maybe someone hasn't learned much "outside" stuff, either. or people are deluded about their level. or like fantasy-master-lecturing. it's a bit hard to tell from most people's posts, and i'd disagree about video, b/c we can't see your "inside" invisible stuff happening or not happening. but from self-reported feelings/experiences, it seems there is a good bit of commonality.

I don't know why people don't want to talk about it but maybe if people are between the knowledge level and the internalization (wu wei) level it can be difficult to talk about it clearly.

Ego gets in the way a lot. People don't seem to be comfortable with not knowing, only with pontificating and lecturing or listening to their guru pontificate. Lets get to the nitty gritty.

In this thread here in particular and the other I'm not really interested in talking about Qi cultivation so much as nailing down what someone actually means when they use the word Qi. What is the difference between a westerner, a modern Chinese, and a Chinese from the 1800s.

Two circles posted a brilliant summation of that conceptual framework in the pot of rice thread. Definitely go check it out.

If you can get THAT then it's worth starting to talk about all the manifestations of "Qi" that we work with in Taijiquan. It isn't just one thing, one substance, one concept, one framework. It's something that everything has but it's not the same for everything.

So when we talk about cultivating it, cultivating what? The life force, the movement potential, what is it?

Adam Mizner talks about this in a video directly saying that people conflate the meanings of Qi, and that the Qi they talk about in TCM carrying the essential life energy that sustains cells is not the same as the Qi we use for fighting in Taijiquan .

The conception that people seem to have is that Qi is this substance we accumulate in the body (okay, sure I can buy that) and that we can send it out into the environment like tendrils of an invisible octopus to attack our enemies.

It's not a substance. We can cultivate our life force Qi through the traditional means of food, drink, and proper preventative medicine and exercise like Taijiquan.

Through prolonged practice and specific conditioning of the body and mental conditioning and developed prioproception and spatial awareness we cultivate the perception of "movement potential" Qi in our body as it interfaces with the Qi of our immediate environment and beyond and any objects or persons within it. But that's not all the same Qi any more than it is the life force Qi.

Movement potential like, which way will my knees bend, how will my weight shift, how could it bend and shift, etc, but on a subconcious level of knowing without knowing. Reading the Qi of our system through Ting jin.

Through knowing that, we learn to know our weapons, our opponent, our world...

If you can't get that I don't know how to explain it any simpler. Two circle's post is the best, go read that.
For example, for a very (very) long time I was suspicious about the HSS/CMC type lineages. Then recently I met up with a dragon from the park, a new player, who showed me some of the stuff from the Mizner program he had been doing including "song gong #1." As we went through the details I instantly recognized the relaxation force from the ground that I had self discovered just from following other people doing Yang style in the park. So now, I have some newfound respect for Mizner's/HSS's stuff, (in contrast to traditional Yang/etc). Somehow they found a way to 'teach' that so people wouldn't have to work so hard (or be lucky) to hit upon it.

Adam has some pretty clear insight into Taijiquan and explains things well in my opinion. You get more value out of the stuff you pay for than the commercials, of course, but that's what people judge the material against. I have no complaints about the methods in his course, I completed the first level (five years) but am not interested in continuing with it.
What I don't like is when people haven't had time to "wu wei" the knowledge into their body, they tend to bring in outside analogies that don't make a lot of sense to me. Or say that this knowledge is not in certain other styles or branches of Tai Chi. I think at that point too much talking will just get in the way of learning and internalizing your art.

Think less about what you think others don't know and worry more about achieving your own understanding and you'll be making much better use of your time.
So my latest epiphany is these are just two different approaches to the same goal. I think that if more people understood this there would be less bickering between the CMC and TradYang (and chen etc) crowds. There would be more understanding between them.

They say the path is an inch wide and a mile deep, but for the most part we're all wandering in the dark looking for it and take shit way too personally.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:20 am

I think we can only describe our feeling/experience in the context of some kind of attempt at taijiquan learning. So maybe in-cultivation "practical understanding" cannot be separated from "understanding" as you seem to want to do. Appledog said people feel warmth or tingling in the beginning. I think origami said Mizner used a word "hydraulic". Some people talk about "electromagnetic". Personally I think it's easier to separate the Venn diagram of neigong and EMA. Do a little qigong, preferably with minimal mechanical movement, and don't worry about anything too much. The feelings will get more tangible, follow "yi", and seem "fuller". There isn't really a definition that feels needed to me beyond "Qi". Sure it's not the same as whatever EM waves give us sunburn or skin cancer. Or what is trying to get "balanced" in TCM. That really doesn't matter as we're not interested in that (in this IMA context). Maybe that causes too much discomfort. It's like "energy", "quantum physics", "string theory", or "consciousness". We have some idea what they are, but they are very abstract. It's easy to get too philosophical or to follow some red herring and then we are at that "Universal" discussion. Once you cultivate it somewhat and get rid of the cognitive dissonance, then maybe other things people say about this or that qi or jin make more sense (at least the people who aren't just making up bullshit sometimes w/o even realizing they "filled in the blanks" laughably incorrectly).
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:39 am

I think it's accurate to say that each of us has a limit to our own understanding, and it's perfectly fine to just stop there and work with what makes sense to you,
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:18 am

in defense of rsj jerk culture, then there isn't really that much to talk about is there? :P :-\
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:31 am

everything wrote:in defense of rsj jerk culture, then there isn't really that much to talk about is there? :P :-\

lol, I mean, essentially.

Either you lack the direct experience so the words don't help you understand or you have the direct experience so the words don't help you understand.

it's cool in those rare moments when you find common understanding, though, and putting it into words helps me solidify concepts in my own mind. A few more posts and I'll be able to take down Fedor.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:11 am

origami_itto wrote:

Either you lack the direct experience so the words don't help you understand or you have the direct experience so the words don't help you understand.

very "Taoist" truth indeed. these arts are too difficult (and fascinating) ...

it's cool in those rare moments when you find common understanding, though, and putting it into words helps me solidify concepts in my own mind. A few more posts and I'll be able to take down Fedor.

if we could continue all of that til somebody here could take down Fedor, hahaha, we are on to something. ;D

but seriously, lots of good comments and threads lately. idk if it solidifies any concepts in my head. maybe does the "Zen koan" thing to my brain. either way, it probably does help.
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:58 am

Another interview, this time with Mark Rasmus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec3DP8kNkNc

He basically says is that he never understood Tai Chi or the internal arts from a traditional Chinese perspective, but uses Hermetics as a bridge. He has his own way to explain things, and that's fine I guess. He is a good and skilled practitioner, however, and as always, I have a hard time listening to some of what he says.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:56 am

I tend to think we don't need "more words" esp with more experience (and wtf is "hermetics" i don't even want to know) ... but OTOH maybe it helps to hear or think out loud. I agree that the "science people" will help and have different vocabulary.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:54 am

Hermetics is western mysticism. A system of accessing and manipulating the subtle forces of the human vessel and by extension the sea of reality it sails through.

Masonry, rosicrucians, golden dawn, kabbalah, qabbalah, Egyptian magic, etc
Last edited by origami_itto on Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links