For the grapplers

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

For the grapplers

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:20 pm

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: For the grapplers

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:58 am

https://youtu.be/zOnEARtQYRk?si=omiL-_93pB-FlSGN

Just watched the tai chi one
He has an interesting take
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:43 pm

I don't like phs competitions. Afa the tcc vids, I like the one in middle most. I have friends who are really good at the first phs example; the one that the narrator says reminds him of wrestling. I think he's right, and it can be really effective competing with similar arts. My main criticism is that it may demonstrate tcc "principles," but it doesn't illustrate the relevance of learning an entire form or set of forms beforehand. A good shuai jiao guy could enter the contest.

In the last clip, the contestants start a phs pattern, but as the narrator notes, then they just literally do hand-pushing until someone gets the advantage. True, a smaller person might win, but it'd still be a struggle -and imo that'd be an error -from the tcc pov. Yes, the strength is an advantage, as long as the opponent isn't stronger. I.e., if a technique is limited by the practitioner's strength, then there's a limit at which it won't work. Otoh, techniques/methods that don't require (a lot or more) strength will work against more opponents.

That's why I prefer the middle vid. For one thing, there's variety in terms of principles employed and techniques (forms). Imo, that's what phs training is for, and by phs I mean the two-person practices done before san shou or weapons. Different schools have different sets, of course. Some are very extensive, others just have phs and dalu. Ma's Wu tcc has 13 methods, but some branches have more. There's a big difference between learning these different patterns and just learning new empty hand forms.

Anyway, imo, instead of phs competitions, just take your phs and enter an open contest with other martial arts. Maybe the phs competitions are popular because they're safer than other activities. It's a way to play king of the hill. Or, maybe people feel that phs is the way the old masters used to test their skills. Well, maybe they used it to demonstrate their skill.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:58 pm

Hey, I think it's cool for two people to test themselves. Some people are competitive at everything. My basic point is that phs is about learning something/s in a cooperative way. Usually, people learn more by losing than by winning. By "cooperative," I don't mean weak or having no threat. I think that A should seriously attack B, allowing B to practice defense, and then A should allow B to seriously attack (try to push, pull, etc). And then the pattern should continue.

Thing is, just as you experienced with the sambo guy, "Defend yourself at all times." Those type of things will always happen.

Btw, hope all is well in Taiwan.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:19 pm

randori and ph can be similar if you want it to be. and "cooperative". except people who are beginners in ph think they can somehow skip to the "old master" level. or people who insist it's the same (then do we need taijiquan at all)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:02 pm

I feel seen.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Return to Video Links