Dont let a lack of knowledge stop you

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Dont let a lack of knowledge stop you

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:18 am

windwalker wrote:

That’s Ziranmen (Natural Gate Boxing). That’s an ankle spraining exercise in our book.
Plus you have to start really, really young. I just saw a good Ziranmen compilation video the other day. I wonder if it’s on YouTube.

Some day I want to meet Serge Augier and get a taste of Ziranmen body-skills.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:57 pm

Sea.Wolf.Forge wrote:
windwalker wrote:Everyone has an opinion, mine does not include emotion...

Cheeky fucker. "I said "Emotional content" not anger!"

snip..... .

NICE Sea.Wolfy...

Isn't anybody else gonna acknowledge the awesome BRUCE LEE reference? OK, I will. ;D

Subitai
Huajing

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:41 am

Subitai wrote:
NICE Sea.Wolfy...

Isn't anybody else gonna acknowledge the awesome BRUCE LEE reference? OK, I will. ;D

I salute you.
Last edited by Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby Appledog on Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:09 pm

D_Glenn wrote:Ah no. Nothing like that.

More like stuff that uses Fanlangjin. And it happens at full speed. Plus other things. I just thought that being who you trained with, that you might have the best chance of being shown stuff without having to train with him. But there’s no guarantee.

Also, factor in that he’s trained for 6-12 hours a day since ‘74 and he’s basically lived like a monk. He did the whole daoist ascetic practice at the age of 18-26 and that makes a huge tangible difference.

This. No matter what else I have come to understand this as the first door. It is also the gateway to qing (lightness). If you can't pull at least 4 hours a day I don't think it is possible to get anywhere in martial arts, with 6 to 7 hours being the minimum for what passes for mastery in the previous generation.

As for daoist aesthetic training, its like another level to this. Which people are equally unaware of. People just aren't interested in really doing it, to that extent, I think. For a westerner you can't just do this. So we have a rather low bar. There is a host of problems preventing westerners from getting to this level. It is something we need to change.

It's so important, but I think the endemic part of it lets those involved pass the buck to the next generation. I think we need to do something about it "now".

-
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:57 am

OK, but exactly what do you think needs to be done to remedy the situation now, other than training time tested, proven methods for 6+ hours daily?

An exponentially greater number of people worldwide practice TCC and other IMA styles today than ever before, yet the number of practitioners who actually master these styles isn't any greater than in previous generations. Is this their fault? Their teacher's fault? Their style's fault? Hmmm! :-\
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:25 am

Doc Stier wrote:OK, but exactly what do you think needs to be done to remedy the situation now, other than training time tested, proven methods for 6+ hours daily?

An exponentially greater number of people worldwide practice TCC and other IMA styles today than ever before, yet the number of practitioners who actually master these styles isn't any greater than in previous generations. Is this their fault? Their teacher's fault? Their style's fault? Hmmm! :-\

The only thing we can do is train well and teach well and let the dead bury their dead.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:32 am

Doc Stier wrote:OK, but exactly what do you think needs to be done to remedy the situation now, other than training time tested, proven methods for 6+ hours daily?

I think that there needs to be raised funding and a new sports body which oversees the development of professional martial artists. It is in some ways a who will plant the corn problem. Everybody wants to eat the bread but nobody wants to plant the corn. And as usual, the planting of the corn itself often raises ire among "traditionalists".

However, I think if things are done properly the traditionalists will come along for the ride this time.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:26 am

there are Olympic combat sports with participation from around the globe with various kinds of large funding (such as USA D1 wrestling).

this isn't exactly "AI" or "moon shots" or something VCs would fund with super high risk / super high reward.

or even "LIV GOLF" or Saudi Arabia football kind of sportswashing
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:12 am

I can see it now

Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:44 am

I love that the way I love parkour or breakdancing.

Or French bulldogs longboarding.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:59 am

Yes internal martial arts is almost dead might as well drive the last nail in
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:02 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Yes internal martial arts is almost dead might as well drive the last nail in

It won't die, will only be renewed.

Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:36 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Yes internal martial arts is almost dead might as well drive the last nail in

Yes, and look whose capable hands it died in.

origami_itto wrote:It won't die, will only be renewed.

That's what happened last time. It seems history repeats?

This is why it is a who will plant the corn problem. It is a fundamental human problem of morality and attitude.

everything wrote:Yup def all theory.and nobody agrees on what taijiquan even is so there’s that.

Yes, the level in the west has already fallen so low that people can't even agree on what taijiquan is.

I look at it as a process of death and renewal. If you do nothing, things will still happen, it is just that you weren't involved in the solution nature provided.

Spiderman said, with great power comes great responsibility. If you feel you have the ability to comment on this, then you have implicated yourself. Do something!
Appledog
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:57 pm

In the west and not the east
What if one is from the west in the east..;D

Feel people should have the freedom to make their own choices..free from judgement outside themselves .

Many reasons and levels of practice, according to needs, wants and focus..All correct according to choices...
True historically, true today...

many words
As was mentioned for such a simple and yet profound concept "yin-yang"

As sometimes happens when people start to understand their body doesn't have the understanding of the mind. For some they start to seek other examples....

Those who are the examples, sometimes referred to as "隱石如虎,根如臥龍。"
crouching tigers, hidden dragons .

Some may have found one,
Some may be one, that others have found.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:07 am

windwalker wrote:Feel people should have the freedom to make their own choices..free from judgement outside themselves .

Many reasons and levels of practice, according to needs, wants and focus..All correct according to choices...
True historically, true today...

As sometimes happens when people start to understand their body doesn't have the understanding of the mind. For some they start to seek other examples....

I would say that in Tai Chi, you cannot achieve any proper understanding of the body if not the mind is correctly "tuned".

Sure, people can practice how they want and for whatever reason. But it would be a pity if they haven't studied with a good genuine teacher. If you don't know what is there, it means that you haven't been presented with that choice, so you cannot choose it.

Those who are the examples, sometimes referred to as "隱石如虎,根如臥龍。"
crouching tigers, hidden dragons .

Interesting, haven't seen that version. Only know about 臥虎藏龍 (卧虎藏龙, simplified). Don't know if the meaning of the longer one is the same. This idiom usually refers to something hidden, something that you can't see. In the movie "crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" refers to Zhang Ziyi's character. She is someone else than she appears to be and she hides her secret.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links