Dont let a lack of knowledge stop you

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Dont let a lack of knowledge stop you

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:06 pm

windwalker wrote:Everyone has an opinion, mine does not include emotion...

Cheeky fucker. "I said "Emotional content" not anger!"

People play by rulesets in sports to train harder more safely - except powerslap... but we don't talk about powerslap.
Judo and wrestling could easily train to spike people on their heads like a football but then we wouldn't have much of a talent pool left - landing them on their back seems close enough. Could snap every joint you catch, but a tap seems like a reasonable acceptance of defeat. Could beat someone to death, but a referee-stoppage TKO seems like a decent halfway point.
Push hands is a drill, there is no consequence in normal use, I've seen and experienced lively roushou through my bagua training but the number of people training at that level was very small. The rules in actual tcc PH competition seem to make it even less relevant to combative training.

But all that said - I'll mirror you, I have lots of respect for traditional teachers I've trained under - they had beautiful and relevant skills for their art and I value what I learned from them.
None punched me as hard as the ex pro-boxer, kicked me as hard as my Kru in Thailand, ripped me off my feet like the wrestler from Belarus, or made me feel as helpless on the mat as a BJJ world champion...

For me it's about fighting well in any context.
If it's not about fighting for you, say it's not about fighting.
No dispute, just honesty about what it's for.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:07 pm

wayne hansen wrote:If u have good tai chi basics you can learn off everyone
I got a great deal from wrestlers
I remember throwing a punch at George Barnes he neutralisée it like a Ba Kua master
Next thing my feet were above his head and my head facing the floor
He said do you know what the hard part is now
Making your feet hit the floor before your head does
We don’t have a tradition of wrestling here in Aus like you do in the states
However I was lucky enough to have two cousins who were Australian Champions and an uncle who was a wrestling and boxing coach
So plenty of painful free lessons

Love this.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:16 pm

Sea.Wolf.Forge wrote:
Cheeky fucker. "I said "Emotional content" not anger!"

Missed it...feel free to point out where you said this

For me it's about fighting well in any context.
If it's not about fighting for you, say it's not about fighting.
No dispute, just honesty about what it's for.

You should say "competing" not fighting,
your a competitor

No I'm not a competitor.

Both you and Wayne use examples of things you either don't train
or practice..confusing it with experience...

Experience is a good teacher.
Do agree for anyone stepping into a ring, or any type of competition they should have
the relevant experience to do so..at the expected level of engagement..

But all that said - I'll mirror you, I have lots of respect for traditional teachers I've trained under - they had beautiful and relevant skills for their art and I value what I learned from them.
None punched me as hard as the ex pro-boxer, kicked me as hard as my Kru in Thailand, ripped me off my feet like the wrestler from Belarus, or made me feel as helpless on the mat as a BJJ world champion...

Did or could any of the Boxers, or others do what ever those traditional teachers did ?
Could a boxer do what the wrestler did, the wrestler do what a boxer did ?

Everyone has their opinions, and experience

"DONT LET A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE STOP YOU"

Should have been " experience "

In the clip shown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5kZA-UgDk

Would not agree that "taiji" is basic wrestling.
Although do see how others not having developed taiji skill sets might feel so..

What is shown has very little to do with "taiji" methods outside of naming conventions, superficial movements.
Does it matter,,,not really the teacher in the clip is not known for taiji....
why would one look or use him as an example of it.

Kinda like Wayne, mentioned throwing a punch not being a boxer....feeling it was a punch as someone who knows how to punch would
throw one...

Was it, is it ?

donno....Wayne says he practices taiji, you mentioned outside of boxers most can not hit as hard as a boxer...

Is Wayne a boxer or taiji exponent

a better clip showing those who practice taiji
testing their practice with those who do not..within a format that both agree with.

This compilation shows the efficacy of certain taijiquan (aka "tai chi") techniques in a live-resistance setting. Some of these clips come from full-contact matches between taijiquan practitioners, a practice known as tuishou ("push hands").

Others show friendly sparring between representatives of taijiquan and representatives of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA, wrestling, and Muay Thai. See if you can spot the legendary Marcelo Garcia!

The point of this video is not to prove that taijiquan is somehow "superior" to all other martial arts. Rather, it shows that (1) when properly trained against resisting opponents, taijiquan has legitimate martial application, and

(2) that certain proprietary taijiquan techniques could augment the arsenal of a modern mixed martial artist.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:35 pm

Some thoughts on whats called "fighting"

A world champion Thai-style kickboxer was shot to death in the middle of a busy San Francisco street Friday after he chased down a hit-and-run driver who had slammed into his parked car minutes earlier.

Stopped by his gym a couple of weeks earlier, chatted with him nice guy, very strong views...

Unfortunately, not able to make distinction between "fighting" and competition..
feeling both are the same....maybe not understanding or unable to, that it's best not to fight if possible..
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:58 pm

windwalker wrote: it's best not to fight if possible..

Nothing I do has anything to do with "fighting". It's avoiding conflict where possible and, failing that, ending it as quickly as possible with as little damage to life, limb, and property as possible.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:42 pm

terrible about the road rage murder. every day close calls for fender benders to near-mad-max stuff happen around here. not to stereotype the drivers, but in keeping with the demographics of my town, they are almost always mild-mannered-looking, overweight, middle aged people, not some young adult male road rage nut job with a gun.

for avoiding conflict in this kind of situation, avoiding rush hour is so far the best "self-defense technique". the dash cam is there for evidence, but not as a prevention/avoidance technique. "martial arts"? "fighting"? "competition"? shouldn't even be in the picture. unless we say it's about awareness and mindfulness and those sorts of things. but those aren't specific to martial arts or "fighting" or "competition". :-\

definitely paranoid something like this idiocy will happen https://old.reddit.com/r/Acura/comments ... _if_youre/
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:19 pm

No I am not a boxer nor a wrestler
However I have faced both on the street and in the gym
I come from a wrestling family and spent a lot of time grappling as a youth
In backyards not formal competition
I don’t see the relevance of your remarks in regards to what I said
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:43 pm

This guy is basically telling us that water is wet.

All of Chinese Kung Fu (internal and external) has wrestling (Shuai Jiao) inside it. It’s intrinsic to the whole of the martial art. It’s not a hidden fact. It’s celebrated. I would wager that every martial artist in China has done Shuai Jiao at some point in their life.

In my bagua school almost everyone has a SJ jacket. We have SJ matches at seminars for fun. In Bagua every movement is a strike, a throw and a lock. So it’s not hard for someone who knows Shuai Jiao, wrestling or judo to spot the throws.

Traditional Form-wise I garner that Taijiquan is even closer to Shuai Jiao, or less evolved, then Bagua or Xingyi.

All Kung Fu adds striking onto Shuai Jiao. But the uniqueness of the Internal styles is the neigong and the body qualities/ skills that come from it. But those skills can be added to other kung fu. Wing Chun has incorporated the Zhongding skill that Yang Taijiquan has become known for, and I would wager that there is more Westerners in the Wing Chun world now who have it then in the Western Taijiquan world.

So it’s not far fetched to see Zhongding being added into just a straight Greco Roman wrestling, in the future. Who knows it’s probably already happening.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:38 am

D_Glenn wrote:
So it’s not far fetched to see Zhongding being added into just a straight Greco Roman wrestling, in the future. Who knows it’s probably already happening.

What are you calling zhongding here?
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:25 am

The ability to not be pushed. Someone can even be standing on one leg and they can redirect every push you give. They feel like a steel pole cemented into the ground. I don’t know the history of it all but Peter Ralston is the first westerner who had it and was teaching it, that I know of. I’ve done push hands with a student of his.

My teacher gave a me a very loose analogy for Zhongding. If you spin a coin on a table and at first it moves around the table until eventually it might stop in one place and spin. That’s Zhongding. But in Bagua we want to achieve it in Circle Turning. So we would take that analogy further, where you would pick the table up with the perfectly spinning coin, and tilt the table around to get the coin to start moving in circles again, only in Zhongding.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:14 am

D_Glenn wrote:The ability to not be pushed.

Okay I think we normally refer to that particular effect as rooting perhaps?
Someone can even be standing on one leg and they can redirect every push you give.

That seems familiar, but not necessarily the same as rooting mentioned above or what you mention below.
They feel like a steel pole cemented into the ground.

Is this description based on your own experience or someone else's description?

A teacher has described zhong ding to me as the point of neutralization. The place where yin and yang come together and are equalized. That conception sort of overlays onto what you're describing, I believe. It's the mechanism by which the ability to not be pushed is achieved in Taijiquan. Your approach might be different.

It's like, we don't put energy in to resist, and we don't run away from it to separate, we put enough into to meet and balance it perfectly, and in so doing, join with the system as a whole, pick the fulcrum we'd like to lever from, and turn with as much power as we like/need.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:21 pm

Not being pushed is good until the hand pushing holds a knife
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:58 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Not being pushed is good until the hand pushing holds a knife

Sorta relates to the thread debating the question of whether empty hand techniques evolved before or after armed hand techniques. I.e., what empty hand techniques would also work against weapons.

One of my teachers would emphasize that a hand should be considered sharp, hot, and treated accordingly. Otoh, in fma, the learning sequence often goes from weapon to empty hand. You'd learn stick (or sharp knife/spada, in some traditions) and then learn two person empty hand techniques.

It's always done differently in tcc, of course, but the idea is to learn how to extend the hand's (body's) energy to the end of the weapon. So, the process is from short weapon to longer ones.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:30 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Not being pushed is good until the hand pushing holds a knife

FFS Wayne

Talking about in the context of cooperative ‘Push Hands’ (Tui Shou).

Are you really that dense?

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:42 pm

Origami, that is from my experience. Obviously I could just charge into the guy and he would fall. It’s just a another tool in one’s shed.

Zhongding is probably maybe 5-10% of importance in things to practice. My teacher said that he could easily just go to a park in Beijing and start demonstrating his Zhongding skills and have a couple hundred sycophants begging him to take their money. But his true skills are in fighting. That would be an utter waste of his decades of fighting and he would rather pass the fighting skills on. Zhongding demonstrations rarely attracts people who want to learn how to fight.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links