Master Adam Hsu: A Lifetime of Training Chinese Kung Fu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Master Adam Hsu: A Lifetime of Training Chinese Kung Fu

Postby Bob on Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phN75C7FwRA

Oct 29, 2023
An exclusive look at Master Adam Hsu's martial arts journey as he shares a lifetime of training in Chinese Kung Fu. This footage was captured during our exclusive video interview with Master Hsu in Taipei, Taiwan.

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Master Adam Hsu: A Lifetime of Training Chinese Kung Fu

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:47 pm

Best thing I have seen on him
Would love to know how long he spent with each art and what his daily training consists of
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:47 am

wayne hansen wrote:Best thing I have seen on him
Would love to know how long he spent with each art and what his daily training consists of

What origami itto said. Master Hsu has the same problem as me, it's difficult to know if it really works.

If only there was a way to practice the skill, in a controlled environment, where you could push limits but had a "pressure valve" to let the steam out? And further, that it was not a dangerous mode of practice but one in which the energy was contained and did not need to shoot out?

A method devised partially out of civil needs in civil times, with the memory of martial needs in martial times?

Which would change the face of the art, simultaneously improving it in certain ways, but creating a dangerous dichotomy that threatened to, if the players were not careful, lead them astray forever?

I wonder what checks and balances would need to be devised in order to protect them from themselves -- the balance between art and science?

Art and Science. Ahh, the duality of man. Where was I. Oh yeah, you don't know if it works or not and today it is considered immoral to devise an experiment to discover it.

Well if it is immoral to find out in such a way then what are you supposed to do?

Well maybe YOU aren't supposed to do anything. There are legends about this kind of thing -- the calm before the storm... Such as the legends surrounding the warring states period.. The stories which have been passed down which shall never be forgotten.

"How can I become a martial artist under these conditions?" "All you need is a dream..." :)

But as it is said, not everyone can become a high level martial artist. Even Adam Hsu was told, he could not reach a high level. What hope then is there for you.. or I :(

:)

Anyways to answer the question it would depend on how long he trains. As someone who has a prodigious amount of material to work through I understand Adam Hsu's position somewhat, although I don't have nearly his time training, experience or age. His daily training is just, everything he ever learned. Could be 5 hrs or more. I expect more.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:58 am

Appledog wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:Best thing I have seen on him

What origami itto said. Master Hsu has the same problem as me, it's difficult to know if it really works.

Holy shit what did I say?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:15 am

origami_itto wrote:Holy shit what did I say?

origami_itto wrote:I think most of us are sort of trapped in that we don't ever get a chance to use our art against anybody but other people that study it. That means to really see the profound effects we need to be working with someone who is either so much more ahead of or behind us that the gap is evident in a context that allows them to emerge.

We live in a society where fighting is a crime.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Graculus on Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:35 pm

Hmm..he didn’t say he doesn’t know if it works. He said that at a certain time he didn’t know the usage of the style (longfist) or whether he could deliver enough power (before he learnt xing-yi and then baji). He had teachers who could certainly show him that the arts did work. His later training answered these questions for him.

As to what he trains daily, I am pretty certain it is not everything he learned (unless you count this as being internalized and embodied in all his techniques). Elsewhere in his published writings over the years he has referred to the idea of using specific styles to learn specific things to help students get key points of their main style. I am sure he has streamlined his practice and dropped those things he no longer needs.

Graculus
https://Ichijoji.blogspot.com
Graculus
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:45 pm

I was more interested in how long he trained each art
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:49 am

haha CIMA in a nutshell, its all actually so easy as waynes question and the answer that is relevant from those who actually know, but no, it can't, the answer has to be unreachable, unanswerable, out into the labyrinth of 10000 words
Trick
Huajing

Postby Bob on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:47 pm

One of the reasons why Adam Hsu was a breath of fresh air during the mid to late 1980s - no youtube and his writings on the material we studied was at least in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRmnlT7C3Q

I only met him once during a tournament in Maryland. We were supposed to have dinner with him along with my teacher and other students but somehow we opted out to go to a "mafia" run restaurant for authentic spaghetti carbonara (LOL - one of the guys I was with did sales in Baltimore and swore we had to go and try this restaurant - spaghetti carbonara was nothing like what I had in Rome but who's going to complain under those circumstances LOL).

I did hear an honest story about him from my teacher - Adam was publicly demonstrating in Taiwan and someone (a Westerner) came up on stage and sort of challenged him about the application. Well, the guy got knocked on his butt pretty quickly and it was embarrassing for the guy laying on the ground.

I heard he is a very good instructor - there were some articles on-line in which he described his training under GM Liu but I can't seem to find them.
Last edited by Bob on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:36 pm

Bob wrote:
I did hear an honest story about him from my teacher - Adam was publicly demonstrating in Taiwan and someone (a Westerner) came up on stage and sort of challenged him about the application. Well, the guy got knocked on his butt pretty quickly and it was embarrassing for the guy laying on the ground.

Interesting story. Wonder the level of the guy attempting to challenge him..

Met Adam a couple of times in Golden Gate park an area called the "pan handle" , teaching his group across where Brenden Lai, was teaching
7* mantis..to his group at the time....

Adam, as I remember teaching 8steps mantis...among other things..

Looked at him more of as a master level CMA coach helping to bridge the gap in understanding and awarness of CMA in the west...

One of his more noted students among others still carrying on his teachings in SF golden gate park, "panhandle" :)

Yin style bagua
from Adam Hsu Kung Fu School
Adam Hsu - Liu Yuen Chiao - Gong Bao Tien - Yin Fu - Dong Hai Quan
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:47 pm

Adam Hsu on “Is Tai Chi a martial art?”

These excerpts are taken from a round-robin of instructors responses… Here is Adam Hsu’s portion”

Interview: Is Tai Chi a Martial Art?
interview by Debbie Shayne"
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bob on Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:40 pm

Windwalker - I would guess the level of the challenger was average at best but his level of arrogance probably much higher
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:59 am

A very young Adam Hsu and I believe this was before he met GM Liu Yunqiao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxcSI_eHkI0

【Han Clan Martial Arts】Three Ways of Cannon Boxing / Demonstration by Grandmaster Han Qingtang and Disciple-Master Xu Ji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdSkWYBqOYU

Last edited by Bob on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:25 am

Bob
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:01 pm

So what do people think of that
wayne hansen
Wuji