Tai Chi vs. Marching

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tai Chi vs. Marching

Postby Trick on Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:56 pm

pingguogou marched away ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby Appledog on Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:40 am

Trick wrote:pingguogou marched away ?

I'm very busy at work, and trying to deal with some internal injuries on top is difficult.

Re: marching and several other recent threads, I'm not sure if I am surprised at how things turned out here in the end, but I am a bit deflated I guess.

I'm just so busy. It's a blessing and a curse. We will see what happens in next summer but it might take an additional year.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:24 am

Appledog wrote:Re: marching and several other recent threads, I'm not sure if I am surprised at how things turned out here in the end, but I am a bit deflated I guess.

What are you looking for? The idea that we're studying battlefield arts is pretty laughable. Wishful thinking and larping, really.

Battlefield arts are combatives, direct and practical.
But even getting there, warfighting is first and foremost about squad level tactics and up.

When it comes to soldiers fighting, it's less about how and more about "how many", though strategic disposition is always a key concern.

I can't speak for anyone else but my own practice is about cultivating an improved existence, not fighting anybody's wars. There's no glory in that LARPing for me.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:30 pm

Appledog wrote:
Trick wrote:pingguogou marched away ?

I'm very busy at work, and trying to deal with some internal injuries on top is difficult.

Re: marching and several other recent threads, I'm not sure if I am surprised at how things turned out here in the end, but I am a bit deflated I guess.

I'm just so busy. It's a blessing and a curse. We will see what happens in next summer but it might take an additional year.

somewhere on the forum recently you mentioned you are a public school PE teacher on Taiwan, teaching Gong-Fu ?
Now i dont know how it is in the Taiwan province but here in mainland China the kids at high-school go throu some military exercise drilling such as marching, perhaps the same going on on Taiwan ? maybe you got the idea for this topic from that ?

By the way - how did you get a position as a PE teacher teaching GongFu ? i guess you have a teacher certificate from Taiwan kuoshu association ?
Last edited by Trick on Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Appledog on Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:33 pm

origami_itto wrote:What are you looking for? The idea that we're studying battlefield arts is pretty laughable. Wishful thinking and larping, really.

Lol, now I just feel more deflated :)

Trick wrote:By the way - how did you get a position as a PE teacher teaching GongFu ? i guess you have a teacher certificate from Taiwan kuoshu association ?

I don't think that makes sense. But interestingly the Taiwan Kuoshu organization is essentially the continuance of the Nanjing Central Guoshu Institute.

Also, I am not (by a lot) the only foreigner who happens to be teaching kungfu in a taiwan highschool. There are several, which I admit is odd, but makes a sort of sense when you think about it that there should be some. I met two at a teacher's conference just last month. I also met a guy while I was in Toronto who had taught in the miaoli kungfu highschool. Interesting stuff. In my case though it is not as interesting as it sounds. On average we do about 10 minutes of qigong at the end of the class. It might be more later but we have other stuff to teach too and most of the students are just interested in basketball anyways :)

Also I don't think I will ask to teach like this next year (or even next semester if I can get out of it). It is not as glamorous and exciting as I expected it to be (we don't have an indoor practice space and I get too hot easily).
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:53 am

Appledog wrote:
origami_itto wrote:What are you looking for? The idea that we're studying battlefield arts is pretty laughable. Wishful thinking and larping, really.

Lol, now I just feel more deflated :)

Trick wrote:By the way - how did you get a position as a PE teacher teaching GongFu ? i guess you have a teacher certificate from Taiwan kuoshu association ?

I don't think that makes sense. But interestingly the Taiwan Kuoshu organization is essentially the continuance of the Nanjing Central Guoshu Institute.

Also, I am not (by a lot) the only foreigner who happens to be teaching kungfu in a taiwan highschool. There are several, which I admit is odd, but makes a sort of sense when you think about it that there should be some. I met two at a teacher's conference just last month. I also met a guy while I was in Toronto who had taught in the miaoli kungfu highschool. Interesting stuff. In my case though it is not as interesting as it sounds. On average we do about 10 minutes of qigong at the end of the class. It might be more later but we have other stuff to teach too and most of the students are just interested in basketball anyways :)

Also I don't think I will ask to teach like this next year (or even next semester if I can get out of it). It is not as glamorous and exciting as I expected it to be (we don't have an indoor practice space and I get too hot easily).

Glamorous and exciting I wouldn’t have expected teaching to be.
Yes my question probably had no sense to it, but I take it you don’t need or have a Taiwan PE/Wushu teacher license but have a such from your home country that work just fine on Taiwan too, you’re a PE teacher that happen to know some gong fu so it’s mainly basketball and such all days long, yeah I would have wanted out too.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Bao on Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:46 am

windwalker wrote:and yet some call what they practice "martial art" is it..

How something is developed and comes to be is often something different from the original source. A military origin for the battlefield, partially or all, doesn't mean that the modern popularized art is a battlefield art.

Even Qi Jiguang in the 16th century thought that boxing arts were useless on the battlefield and only something useful to keep soldiers fit and taught his soldiers solely for that reason.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:16 am

Bao wrote:
windwalker wrote:and yet some call what they practice "martial art" is it..

How something is developed and comes to be is often something different from the original source. A military origin for the battlefield, partially or all, doesn't mean that the modern popularized art is a battlefield art.

Do the Chinese currently refer to their practices as martial arts ?
Are European arts currently practiced labeled as martial arts ?

Many relate their practices to having some type of martial value "combative usage"
and practice as such ..

With out testing how would they know the truth of their stated practice.. "martial art"
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:40 am

Does martial mean combative mean battlefield mean self defense mean MMA mean kickboxing mean boxing mean grappling mean kendo mean marksmanship mean chess?

Does martial mean military? Does wu shu imply war? Does kung fu require the battlefield?
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:45 pm

origami_itto wrote:Does martial mean combative mean battlefield mean self defense mean MMA mean kickboxing mean boxing mean grappling mean kendo mean marksmanship mean chess?

Does martial mean military? Does wu shu imply war? Does kung fu require the battlefield?

Wushu means martial art literary, wu = martial/war (the character actually suggests "defense" and the meaning of "block"), shu = art as in "fine arts". The term "martial art" suggest a historical connection with warfare, not necessarily from the battlefield, but rather that it is something that has progressed from clinical techniques and methods used in some kind a combat format and turned into an art form. An art form can either suggest that original methods are developed further into art and at the same time keep its functionality, or it can mean that no real function is necessary. If you look at modern sport wushu as taolu competitions, the practical function is not really considered, and instead the artistic expression is what is most important.

So the main issue is not about self-defense vs combat vs fighting vs sport. The main question is if you regard what you do, and practice it, as an "art" or not, and also how you value the concept of "art".
Last edited by Bao on Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:07 pm

Yeah where is the art? Is it a museum or a studio? What is the object d'arte? Where is the science? Is it a laboratory? What are the conclusions?
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:31 pm

Ah, that's the thing, how does one turn what one's doing into "art." Yep, almost anyone can be a painter, but there won't be many Michelangelos. :)
Now, we can say that not many people raised their martial art to the level of BL's.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:47 pm

Steve James wrote:Ah, that's the thing, how does one turn what one's doing into "art." Yep, almost anyone can be a painter, but there won't be many Michelangelos. :)
Now, we can say that not many people raised their martial art to the level of BL's.

Well the worth of "art" is a lively debate in any circle.

Not everybody taht goes into business is Jeff Bezos, either, you know? We don't have to be the best to enjoy expressing ourselves, right?

I'd say the art is the process and the object is the person cultivated, be it the artist themselves or their students.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:37 pm

art in martial-art of course has nothing to do with michelangelo or pure movie actors, although in early japanese moviemaking actors had to learn some fencing.
In japan they named the new way of practicing the combat ways as -budo/martial-way, implying the new way as a way of the Tao rather than war.
although not word for word but should have about the same meaning with ”WuShu”.

the way/art of holding down/stopping the spear - as for example is the aim of Xingyiquan ;)
tempering ones mind and body so never need take to or be involved with violence.
Last edited by Trick on Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:20 am

ok, i poodle a bit from my previous post.
miyamoto musashi - the greatest warrior ever :)who was as great with the brush as with the sword wrote something as - all endevours, if its painting or music or the sword they contain the same essence - focus and rythm.
And i wouldnt argue with him on that.

the story about the tea-cermony master who was challenged to a sword duel by a ronin.
the tea master only had time to learn to hold the sword correctly and then went into his tea-cermony mental state had the tough looking ronin runnin away without either blood or tea spilled - perfect wushu/budo
Trick
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links