Bruce Lee stepping method explained.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Bruce Lee stepping method explained.

Postby wiesiek on Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:55 am

Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Re: Bruce Lee stepping method explained.

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:47 am

(I think) that's how you're supposed to punch in Xing Yi, too. I mean the foot in the air bit, not all the other JKD-specific things he throws in as well. So it really is a "traditional" method, (despite his marketing about JKD being "non traditional") however, I get why he's saying the "traditional" method is to land the foot and hand together, since that's what most people I see doing Xing Yi do.

In XY you also try to land with a flat foot, not with the toes raised up like he's doing, but I think he's exaggerating for the camera. He does a few fast ones and he lands on more of a flat foot.

I also don't think it's as difficult to do as he's saying it is (marketing, again). It's a bit like riding a bike - once you get it, you get it.
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:29 am

I feel like it's very Jack Dempsey art of punching as well, the falling step
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:43 am

Hmm, I'm pretty sure BL wasn't thinking of xingyi when he stressed that JKD wasn't "classical" in order to avoid the "classical mess" of flowery or exaggerated movements. His base art was already wing chun, which also emphasizes simplicity.

Afa the the punch, yeah, it's sort of like Dempsey's falling step -because it employs the body drop to add power. The big difference is that Dempsey's punch made a corkscrew motion, not a straight blast. So, to me, JKD's version is more like a fencer's lunge.

Dempsey's version reminds me of a combo of Tyson and Fyodor.:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:52 am

It’s not the front foot in Hsing I it’s the back
BL was a point in time even his students don’t train his stuff anymore
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:11 pm

one inch punch need stepping ?

the BL freesparring video sequence filmed at a karate tournament is not impressive to the standard of his stardom.
the HK roof-top fight video is even worse, because his footwork makes him go backward and stumble to a fall.
Last edited by Trick on Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:15 pm

about the XYQ, maybe BL learned that from Wong Jackman ;)
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:44 pm

The hard way
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:50 pm

It seem BL had some punching power issues. 8-)
From the only on the record real fight BL had -
Though rumors that followed the bout would claim a knockout victory to Lee, the reality is that he seems to have bullied Elms around the ring – knocking his opponent to the canvas three times across three rounds – but Elms kept coming back, and he kept attacking. Reports from witnesses make it sound like an odd contest, with Lee throwing hybrid wing chun kung fu and boxing combinations, and struggling with the gloves, and Elms trying to stick to what he knew best – the established rules of the ring.

“Gary was amazingly resilient,” recalls Clausnitzer in Bruce Lee: A Life. “He was knocked down several times, but rebounded each time and did not seem to be any worse for wear.”

https://bloodyelbow.com/2020/02/06/requ ... bruce-lee/
Trick
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:50 pm

I know a few ex pro-boxers who've been in street, i.e., "real" fights. And, that's usually because they had to be tough. For ex., take Iran Barkley, he grew up in the housing projects next to me (Patterson houses, BX). He used to get bullied and beat up, so he joined a gang "Black Spades." If you remember the film Warriors, it was very similar -except people got stabbed and shot. Btw, Iran left the gangs and eventually went on to be champion in three weight divisions.

Point is, saying that BL didn't have any real fights because he didn't compete like Norris, Joe Lewis, even Billy Blanks doesn't mean anything. Karate tournaments aren't real fights, and most of the people who do enter will "lose." But, if BL had been in a gang's hatchet man in HK, why would he say? Anyway, he talked a lot about how much he had to lose in order to become good at wing chun.

Imo, most people who are any good have lost a lot. If nothing else, anyone who continues after getting beaten up have more motivation. So, that may have had something to do with BL's success.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:37 pm

at least those guys could show a clear ”fight” record(didnt have to talk about it).
And CN and JL most certainly did a fair share of marching too ;)
Last edited by Trick on Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:56 pm

CN. JL. ?
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:04 am

wayne hansen wrote:CN. JL. ?

as in Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis who were mentioned in SJ previous post 8-)
Trick
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:08 am

Well, anybody ask CNorris or JLewis what they thought? They'd agree that he never fought in karate tournaments. They'd also agree that he could fight "for real."

Anyway, if BL had entered tournaments and lost, would that eliminate the "he never had any real fights" argument? Or, actually isn't the point to say that BL wasn't unbeatable or the best fighter? Naw, he wasn't the 20th century Miyamoto Musashi.

Then again, afa records, Norris beat Lewis both times they fought, but also lost 30% of his pro bouts. Yet, we all know that when Chuck kicked someone, his foot broke the sound barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXdG577px94
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:02 am

;D

Always looked at Bruce Lee as an example of someone who reached a very high level of self cultivation..

As a person, an actor, example for others to follow, role model for achieving their own goals, whatever they may be.
Never thought of him as a fighter.
Doesn’t mean he couldn’t fight just that he didn’t fight at the same level as those who typically fight in rings. “ publicly.”

Benny the jet said much the same thing about Jackie Chan.
He said while he was not a fighter, he developed such good attributes that had he wanted to be.
He probably would’ve been a good one..

BL had many attributes developed that probably would’ve made him one of the better
fighters in his weight division with people equal to his skill level at the time...

Would have been interesting to listen to his take on the MMA development now,
that he was part of back then...

Last edited by windwalker on Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links