cutting the distance

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: cutting the distance

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:11 pm

BruceP wrote:
GrahamB wrote:I don't think these gentlemen are going to have quite the revolutionary effect on the world of MMA that they think they are :-\

Bless them ;D

It isn't about innovating MMA. It's a xyq style cross-parry entry to shorten the distance in getting the xingyiquan practitioner into their operable range.

Anyway, it's more than you've ever done...going full marvin8 on your blog - talking about chickens and monkeys and larping around your back yard with a piece of wood. Too timid/scared to have ever tested your ideas against real resistance. Unproven theory much?

Bless you :D

THe Great Bruce has spoken! Praise his name. Good to know you're reading my blog still ;)
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:57 pm

GrahamB wrote:
;D ;D ;D

Are you kidding?

The "pattern of MMA" is get in the ring and prove it. With the best will in the world, nobody serious in MMA (pro level) is going to care a shit what two middle aged out of shape men in slacks and an office shirt have to say about their amazing and unproven theory of fighting. LOL! ;D ;D ;D

but this is strange, you self an MMA fighter mixing and successfully trying out the old and traditional with the new and hip, if anyone can see the value of the traditionl CMA's in the new arena it would be you !
Maybe you are just onto another heretical jesting ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:47 am

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I really couldn't care much about the opinions of people who came to the conclusion that "MMA fighter" was the best way to try and make a living.

I mean, not endorsing or naysaying the video content, just saying enough with nutriding the MMA crowd.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:56 am

When did I ever say I was an MMA fighter?

I'm trying to point towards the huge gulf between the world professional (pro) fighters live in and the world amateur hobbyists live in. I'm a hobbyist, if there was ever any point of confusion. 99.9% of this board is also probably the same.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:31 am

You fight for a hobby? Who are you on sherdog? Got any films?
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:52 am

I've got an instagram. Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

But I think you're being factious. How many times do I have to say i don't do mma?
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:05 am

I am.

I'm just over MMA. Too much glorification of what amounts to exploitation, the proliferation of gamification. Study that prepares one, perhaps, for limited context violent conflict.

At this stage in the game, it's LARP
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:21 am

From a practical perspective, there is definitely a marked difference between closing the gap interval through your own first move initiative to form a bridge, and doing so by allowing the enemy to initiate movement which brings them into arm and leg length distance.

In the former instance, you risk having a skilled combatant use your initiative against you, while in the latter instance, you can more safely use their initiative against them instead. Opinions regarding the most efficient means of accomplishing this vary among different fighting methods, but the end goal is the same. Some methods work better than others do.

Unfortunately, live realtime combat scenarios are not the time or place to discover shortfall vulnerabilities in what you thought would guarantee victory and survival. :o
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:52 am

From a practical perspective, there is definitely a marked difference between closing the gap interval through your own first move initiative to form a bridge, and doing so by allowing the enemy to initiate movement which brings them into arm and leg length distance.

Glad you point that out. Imo, being close to the opponent is necessary, but they can come to you. If they don't come, no need to go to them. That is, unless it's a competition.

In general, don't the imas have different entering strategies? One old teacher said of bagua "they go in crooked and come out straight."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:07 am

Steve James wrote:

Glad you point that out. Imo, being close to the opponent is necessary, but they can come to you. If they don't come, no need to go to them. That is, unless it's a competition.

In general, don't the imas have different entering strategies? One old teacher said of bagua "they go in crooked and come out straight."

What a fantastic quote. Can you share who said it? Thx.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:57 pm

Kelley Graham wrote:
Steve James wrote:

What a fantastic quote. Can you share who said it? Thx.

Thank you, Sir! Much appreciated. The quote in Steve's post is from me, posted immediately prior to his. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:59 pm

Hmm. I’m not seeing the ‘goes in crooked and comes out straight’ in previous posts. Maybe my ancient iPad is glitching.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:06 am

Well, I was agreeing with Doc that the opponent can enter on their own. Afa the bagua quote, that came from a staunchly nationalist Taiwanese teacher 30 years ago, whose teachers were at the Nanjing Academy in the late 1920s. It was in the context of the different strategies for entering. I didn't continue studying bagua from him, but I remembered that quote. It made sense to me, but I'm not a bagua guy so I couldn't say how it would resonate with serious practitioners.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:29 am

GrahamB wrote:
THe Great Bruce has spoken! Praise his name

Not my fault that you could never scrape together enough courage, faith and conviction in what you were doing to "...get in the ring and prove it", as you say.

GrahamB wrote:...my blog...

yeah, that. You don't have enough self-awareness to see the irony of your marvinating all that "unproven theory" over there, and then getting on RSF and denigrating the sincere work of others, while not realizing that the high horse you're on is hitched to your loaded manure wagon.

get up offa that thing

BruceP
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links