Another one bites the dust

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Another one bites the dust

Postby snowpanda on Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:57 pm

BruceP wrote:I've yet to see Gary offer anything more than words and claims. So that being the only representation of his 'mastery' for any one to go on,

Whatever you think of Mizner, this is what he had to say about Doc. I found it in 30 seconds on Google. Maybe you don't rate Mizner's opinion, or you think he's lying... stranger things have happened.

I'll add a little to his claim that Doc is "fast and agile". I suppose he was in his late 50s at the time, but once after training he needed to get somewhere and took off running - ok to him it was jogging level effort, but his stride was a sprint for most people. I ran long distance so I know what good technique looks like, and what speed is, and what efforts different speeds require. I will just say that he was floating at a speed and effort level that I guarantee you will never see from anyone but elite runners. That doesn't come from a lifetime of jogging or fake training. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.facebook.com/HeavenManEarth/posts/i-had-a-great-time-with-sifu-gary-stier-in-texas-he-was-generous-in-sharing-his-/897856226955873/
Last edited by snowpanda on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowpanda
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:36 am

I don't get the end game with people like Bruce. Is he going to lie on his death bed and look back on his life going "well, at least I showed those people on RSF a thing or two!" Great, you won the Internet. Well done.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:31 am

GrahamB wrote:I don't get the end game with people like Bruce. Is he going to lie on his death bed and look back on his life going "well, at least I showed those people on RSF a thing or two!" Great, you won the Internet. Well done.

He really is the coolest. I have a little altar.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:39 am

Nice posts from those who accused me of being a dick
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:20 am

wayne hansen wrote:Nice posts from those who accused me of being a dick

I just said not being a dick was free, never said I was too good to not give it an asshole.

I'm just thankful for the restraint that my training has bestowed. I feel like I should get credit for the things I DON'T post.

Besides, I just expressed my admiration for the Great Old One and his infinite wisdom. I put it on a shelf next to yours.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am

snowpanda wrote:
Whatever you think of Mizner, this is what he had to say about Doc. I found it in 30 seconds on Google. Maybe you don't rate Mizner's opinion, or you think he's lying... stranger things have happened.

I'll add a little to his claim that Doc is "fast and agile". I suppose he was in his late 50s at the time, but once after training he needed to get somewhere and took off running - ok to him it was jogging level effort, but his stride was a sprint for most people. I ran long distance so I know what good technique looks like, and what speed is, and what efforts different speeds require. I will just say that he was floating at a speed and effort level that I guarantee you will never see from anyone but elite runners. That doesn't come from a lifetime of jogging or fake training. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So Gary can run good. Awesome

The point of calling him on his disparaging remarks was summed up in the questions I asked originally. Don't know if they show up on your screen or not so here they are again:

If the "pathetic loser" in the OP was an RSFer, would you post up the same opinion as what you wrote above?

Care to share your opinion of what we're seeing in the push hands video?

Instead of just saying that he can't be bothered with showing his work, and answering my other questions, he spent almost 12 hours writing and editing a reply that I watched evolve, and change course on different issues, during that time.

So what I was pointing to is the disparity of etiquette shown in RSFers' commentaries on videos that get posted by RSFers when the person in the video is an RSFer as opposed to when the person in the video isn't an RSFer. My questions to Gary were kind of rhetorical because my time spent here has me already knowing the answer.

Take the push hands video I reposted in this thread showing the gimp and the other fellow, for example. Among all the tai chi people who claim to be teaching tai chi, what's shown in that video is in a three-way tie for the worst tai chi teacher's push hands I've ever seen. I could comment on that video using word-for-word what Gary wrote about the guy in the OP's video and replace "master" with teacher, and then what? It's OK to comment on peoples' lack of skills/abilities in whatever disparaging way one pleases when the person being scrutinized isn't an RSFer...cool. But if the same disparaging commentary is posted about an RSFer's video, well, that's considered extremely rude. I could never figure that out and have raised that point in other threads here in the past.

At any rate, I've never put much stock in videos people show of their work insofar as what they're able to apply in the testing of their tjq in full-contact formats because that is their moment and their method. Whether they show well or not, I respect the work - because I've been there and done that.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 am

GrahamB wrote:I don't get the end game with people like Bruce. Is he going to lie on his death bed and look back on his life going "well, at least I showed those people on RSF a thing or two!" Great, you won the Internet. Well done.

Blog on, Graham

End Game, meet Post Count
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby snowpanda on Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:15 am

BruceP wrote:So Gary can run good. Awesome

Given that this is how you want to represent what I said, I'll not waste any more time with you.
snowpanda
Santi

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:44 pm

He lost every argument he ever had with me, AFAIC. ;D
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:35 pm

He’s lost every argument just doesn’t realise it. But it’s like wrestlin with a pig. The problem with wrestlin with a pig is you both get covered in shit but the pig likes it.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:49 am

BruceP wrote:So Gary can run good. Awesome

Don't go knocking running.

https://ultrarunning.com/features/desti ... americans/
Outstanding runners in such a culture would become key figures in holding together widespread associations, such as the Iroquois Confederacy, or even loose groupings of proximal tribes, by carrying news and
other urgent messages. A typical example of the role such runners played is recorded in Peter Nobokov’s excellent book “Indian Running.” In the 1860s a messenger runner of the Mesquakie tribe in his mid-fifties
ran 400 miles from Green Bay, Wisconsin to warn Sauk Indians along the Missouri River of an enemy attack. Such messenger runners were probably part of the culture of the Sauk, Creek, Omaha, Kickapoo,
Osage, and Menominee tribes, and possibly many others. Such runners dedicated their lives to this endeavor, following a strict diet and often practicing celibacy. On their runs they would carry a dried buffalo heart.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-st ... arahumara/
They were Tarahumara Indians from the Copper Canyons region of northwestern Mexico. Their curious appearance matched their mysterious legend—that they defy every known rule of physical conditioning and still speed along for hundreds of miles. The Tarahumara (pronounced Spanish-style, taramara by swallowing the “hu”) didn’t work out, or stretch, or protect their feet. They chain-smoked fierce black tobacco, ate a ton of carbs and barely any meat, and chugged so much cactus moonshine that they were either drunk or hungover an estimated one-third of each year (one day on their backs, that is, for every two on their feet). “Drunkenness is a matter of pride, not of shame,” Dick and Mary Lutz wrote in their book The Running Indians. And yet, the Lutzes insist, “There is no doubt they are the best runners in the world.”

Leadville was sure to test that claim. Once the starting gun sounded, around 4 a.m., a sea of taller heads quickly swallowed the Tarahumara runners, who faded into the middle of the pack behind the world’s most scientifically trained ultrarunners. As the sun rose, though, and the course began climbing toward the 12,640-foot peak at Hope Pass, the Tarahumara began easing forward, running so beautifully that one Leadville veteran was left mesmerized. “They seemed to move with the ground,” Henry Dupre would later tell The New York Times. “Kind of like a cloud or a fog moving across the mountains.”

At the first aid station, the Tarahumara who had decided to try the Rockports were now shucking them and pulling on the trash-picked sandals. By the turnaround point, sandaled feet were pattering hard behind the leaders. Not only were the Tarahumara gaining, but they also seemed to be getting stronger: They weren’t picking off the faders, so much as picking up the pace. Reports from observers at mountaintop stations said the Tarahumara were even smiling as they passed. Joe Vigil, the legendary American track coach, happened to be at the Leadville 100 that year, and he couldn’t believe what he was seeing. “Such a sense of joy,” Vigil would later say.

As the lead runners came to the finish, the Tarahumara had added reason to be happy. Breaking the tape, in a time of 20:03:33, was 55-year-old Victoriano Churro, a farmer and the oldest of the three Tarahumara. He was followed by Cerrildo Chacarito in second and Manuel Luna in fifth. The three Tarahumara were still bouncing along on their toes as they crossed the line.

Their performance proved to be no fluke. A year later, another Tarahumara runner, Juan Herrera, would win at Leadville, finishing in 17:30:42 and chopping 25 minutes off the course record. Then in 1995, three Tarahumara finished in the top-10 of the rugged Western States 100 in California.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:11 am

GrahamB wrote:He’s lost every argument just doesn’t realise it

Show me

Link an example to back that claim
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:08 pm

You're doing very well Bruce. Keep winning.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:17 pm

This one is so snide I can’t even work out who you are supporting
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:20 pm

All I know is I'm glad that ninja guy isn't involved in whatever the hell is going on, I'd hate to have to worry about magic curses and shadow assassins.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links