Eight pieces of brocade

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Eight pieces of brocade

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:09 pm

Interesting version though I have trouble working out a couple

https://youtu.be/w42zqpIHvuw?si=FZr2-YCXD6Qejx7p
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Eight pieces of brocade

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:21 pm

Just as Yang Luchan transformed, liberated and developed his version of what is called taijiquan, so to
other groups have transformed Baduanjin into their own purported image and likeness. A neo-Daoist interpretative
version is no different.
An excellent way to see this is to analyze the many "Daoist" version of Baduanjin and we will see that" never the twain shall meet", i.e.
they are not even close in "format" and relevance (compared to a 1930s standard ;D ) The only similarity is the use of a Daoist uniform
of the day and add the beard and 'hat' to top it off and it becomes reality.

The form itself is wonderful ;D
Last edited by yeniseri on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:13 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Interesting version though I have trouble working out a couple

https://youtu.be/w42zqpIHvuw?si=FZr2-YCXD6Qejx7p

Thanks for posting such a nice video. I think it is a good video and I might try some of these exercises!

If you have trouble working out a couple, which ones are causing trouble? There are a few unclear things such as how he is holding his hands on #3 that are hard to make out, is that one of them?
Appledog
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:36 pm

No I didn’t mean I could not mimic what he is doing
I just meant I couldn’t see how some of them were related to other sets I have learnt
I don’t do any Ba tuan chin these days because I have better exercises
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:43 pm

interesting, seems like instead of "punch in a horse stance and "shake tail", he does some reach/lean, and some wider stance reaching toward toes. do some similar modifications.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Giles on Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:17 pm

The longer something has been around, and if it also spreads wide, the more it will diversify and create offshoots and variants. Just like the evolution and diversification of species. Or all the different churches, philosophies and sects within Christianity, for instance.
Eight Pieces of Brocade has been around in some form for at least 7 centuries, so all the more time for it to morph and morph again. Maybe the version here was made up by McTaoists 30 years ago; maybe it's true to a version that's much much older than the standardizations in the 1930s or more recently in the PRC. I quite liked it, whatever the case.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:31 pm

I had a book in the 70’s with about 5 versions
Pretty sure this was the last one
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:41 pm

I like the varied stretches and moves.

Way on a tangent, it seems like someone woulda added something more like yoga sun salutation at some point.

Or something like the modern “world’s greatest stretch”.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:26 pm

I like the varied stretches and moves.

Way on a tangent, it seems like someone woulda added something more like yoga sun salutation at some point.

Or something like the modern “world’s greatest stretch”.
everything
Wuji

Return to Video Links