Three forms combination.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Three forms combination.

Postby origami_itto on Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:11 pm

This is a medley of the Simplified form, family form, and fajin form by Master Alex Dong during his recent trip to Thailand.

Feb 1, 2024
Slow, Fast and Fajin Form combined. Huachiew University in Bangkok Thailand on Jan. 20, 2024.
By Master Alex Dong

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Three forms combination.

Postby nicklinjm on Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:12 pm

Even so many generations removed, it is easy to see the influence of Li Baoyu of Hao style in the Dong family sets....I recently had the chance to see the 'fajin' set passed down by Li Baoyu's grandstudents here in China, several of the movements + the general body method / flavour are v similar to this video of Alex!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:42 am

nicklinjm wrote:Even so many generations removed, it is easy to see the influence of Li Baoyu of Hao style in the Dong family sets....I recently had the chance to see the 'fajin' set passed down by Li Baoyu's grandstudents here in China, several of the movements + the general body method / flavour are v similar to this video of Alex!

True, Dong's fajin movements look more influenced by Li Baiyu than by his father.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:08 am

Bao wrote:
nicklinjm wrote:Even so many generations removed, it is easy to see the influence of Li Baoyu of Hao style in the Dong family sets....I recently had the chance to see the 'fajin' set passed down by Li Baoyu's grandstudents here in China, several of the movements + the general body method / flavour are v similar to this video of Alex!

True, Dong's fajin movements look more influenced by Li Baiyu than by his father.

For comparison, here's his dad doing the fast form:
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:33 pm

Nick
Is there any film of Li or his students doing the form you saw
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:04 pm

origami_itto wrote:For comparison, here's his dad doing the fast form:

Yes I know, I've watched it. You can clearly see that this is clearly NOT just a speed up Yang form with Chen-style fajin infused. That is why I said the son doesn’t look like his father. His father has calmness, rhythm, and the movements have their own purposes. Much, much better.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:06 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Nick
Is there any film of Li or his students doing the form you saw

Don't know if it's the same. Should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnvjD8VS4zE

Last edited by Bao on Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:55 pm

Thanks for that
I thought it might be more like Tungs in sequence
I don’t like the words fast fajing or combat
Don’t know what I would call them
I learnt both of Tungs forms We have 3 in our school and I also learnt Huangs Quick Fist
Huangs is the only one I stopped practicing
I have not passed on Tungs because I always thought there was more to them than I was shown
That’s why I like to see anything that pertains to them
I love doing them but just think there is more to them
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:29 am

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:For comparison, here's his dad doing the fast form:

Yes I know, I've watched it. You can clearly see that this is clearly NOT just a speed up Yang form with Chen-style fajin infused. That is why I said the son doesn’t look like his father. His father has calmness, rhythm, and the movements have their own purposes. Much, much better.

Ah, Alex was doing three different forms that may be confusing you.

One is his simplified, that's what he started with, up to the turn to his right,
Two was this one, the Dong Ying Jie family form which is Dong Ying Jie's own invention based on his art.
Three is the fajin form which is part of the family practice and is, quite literally, just the yang form with some fajin.

I'm sure he would appreciate any notes you'd like to share with him on his form. Don't we all strive to do as well as or better than our fathers?

I think they're both much better than my own so when I get to a place I feel fit to criticize them I'll start sharing criticisms.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:32 am

origami_itto wrote:Ah, Alex was doing three different forms that may be confusing you.

Maybe that was what was confusing him?

Ok, I admit there's a difference, thank you for pointing that out.

I don't know the guy, I know you like him and you see him as your teacher. I have nothing against him, I just didn't like this particular performance. But maybe that is the problem, it's a performance. I don't believe Tai Chi was created for performance, it should be something personal. I assume that you would need to meet him in person... Now I will stfu, thank you.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:13 pm

I think he looks great, but maybe I'm biased lol, still learning those forms. I know that this was in the afternoon in Thailand and the flight from New York landed in the morning so he was pretty jet lagged.

Just wanted to point out what felt like a misunderstanding about what he was doing is all.

I have not passed on Tungs because I always thought there was more to them than I was shown

I'll be certified to teach soon, you're welcome to pay up and learn what you're lacking. ;P
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:32 pm

Capable and certified two different animals
So how many hours have you spent face to face with him
Not on zoom and just you alone
Good to know seeing you mentioned certification
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:34 pm

Three forms in one ? Beginners, intermediate and advanced in one ? Perfect for the fast phased internet world ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:40 pm

Trick wrote:Three forms in one ? Beginners, intermediate and advanced in one ? Perfect for the fast phased internet world ?

Must add- the levelsare found in the long authentic Yang-family form, although the advancement takes a longer time it correctly root to the core
Trick
Huajing

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:26 pm

But it’s not fajin. Moving fast, or snapping the hands at the end of a strike are not fajin.

To fajin a person has to use their Transverse Abdominal Muscles (TVA) to quickly spring or flex, move the lumbar spine from one isometrically held position into a different isometrically held position. This fast movement generates an omnidirectional movement of the flesh. This wave of flesh, through arduous and dedicated practice can then be harnessed to move in perfect synchronous movement with strikes of the arms, in order to have the wave of flesh arriving at the same time as the bones of the striking implement is hitting the target.

In a normal strike or punch the bones are pulling away from your own flesh and when the wave of flesh finally catches up to the bones hitting the target, it’s too late, the wave dissipates into the air, but it still has momentum that carries the striking arm and hinders the speed when trying to change that strike into something different.

In a fajin the bones and flesh are in sync, which allows strikes that hit, or miss, to be easily changed into something else becomes they are stopping at the same time.

The TVA are arguably the strongest muscles in our body as they are constantly flexing in an isometric manner to hold your spine upright whenever we’re standing up. They aren’t hindered by the Krebs cycle. They only rest at night. In Standing Exercises and Circle Turning we hold the lumbar in a different position and over time we develop a second isometric posture that the TVA can find strength in. This then allows one to instantly spring from one shape to another, with great speed and strength. Like other muscles of our body the TVA can increase the size of its muscle fibers through practice and specialized strength exercises. It is this thickening of the TVA that can cause growth of the abdomen, which has been dubbed growing a Dantian.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links