Yiquan and Jin Gong

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yiquan and Jin Gong

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:19 am

This is a snippet of the core of my training, the stuff I do that powers the other stuff, basically. Part of my healing and basic training regiment, not necesarrily "Tai Chi" of any particular stripe. It's just how I wake up my body and get it into a good state for dealing with somebody trying to knock me down. Also REALLY good for my spine and neck issues. When I neglect these I start having neck, back, and shoulder pain. Okay... knees and ankles too, sucks getting old.

When I keep up with them I maintain an ever more refined degree of articulation and strength in my spine and neck.

It is, essentially, a chop suey hodgepodge of methods I've collected over the years to serve my particular needs.

The Yi Quan section is based on postures taught to me by Ray Hayward, plus two from his Bagua mother palms.

The "Jin Gong" (my own term) section is based on what Ray taught as "standing elements" in his teaching of Wai Lun Choi's XIngyiquan. In that you stand in wuji and your upper body does the element. This helps focus on less things at once, isolate then integrate.

I do it a little different, and usually different than here.

Each of the movements is progressive and targets different aspects of movement. The waist turn and leg involvement increases with each evolution of the circles.

Normally, they would be as follows:
1) Up and down
2) Drilling
3) Play Guitar
4) Cloud Hands
5) Fair Lady
6) Brush Knee and Twist Step - Moving Forward
7) Repulse Monkey - Moving backward.

I just went off book a little, I dunno, wasn't intending to share a video but figured why not.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Yiquan and Jin Gong

Postby Appledog on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:29 am

Your hands are alive, which is great! I don't often see that. Also, we do some of the same exercises, such as 4:30, 6:00, 6:30, 6:50, or as in 7:30, 7:50 which are parts of various sets of tai chi qigong we do. Cool :)
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:35 am

Appledog wrote:Your hands are alive, which is great! I don't often see that. Also, we do some of the same exercises, such as 4:30, 6:00, 6:30, 6:50, or as in 7:30, 7:50 which are parts of various sets of tai chi qigong we do. Cool :)

Thank you very much for saying that.

Doc first clued me into that idea of alive hands as opposed to fair lady palms a few years back.

I should also mention, I hope he doesn't mind, this is also somewhat inspired by the five elements practice from his system, though there are vast differences, the specific movements are chosen with that correspondence in mind (among other things)
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:50 pm

No worries. It's always good to go with what you have and use what you have learned from any and all sources. Carry on as you were. :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:16 pm

Like it. Definitely do similar.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Video Links