Student of the founder?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Student of the founder?

Postby GrahamB on Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:27 pm

" Wu Style Tai Chi & Tai Chi Sword by Cheng Wing-Kwong - Student of the founder! "

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Student of the founder?

Postby HotSoup on Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:34 pm

There’s an opinion that Wu-style was founded by Wu Jianquan, not his father.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:19 pm

Would that be because it was still thought of Yang for the first generation
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:49 am

First time I have really thought about how Wu style incorporates movements from Yang fast frame. Maybe because it's more evident in his performance than in what you usually see.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:20 am

Can't say I've ever seen a pre-WJQ Wu form. But, the form above is a pure classical Wu (Shanghai), done in the Wu style -though, imo, the film is sped up slightly. By style, I mean the way he does the form, not just the choreography. I don't think the tcc curriculum was standardized before WJQ/YCF. Their students (most we know by their family names) kept or left out various elements that weren't part of the standardization.

The Dong/Tung and Wu/Ng (HK) have curricula that differ from the standard, even if they use the same 88 postures. Then, of course, there are the many other varieties, like CMC. Nobody does everything in the art because the art is one principle with almost infinite expressions in terms of application.

Otoh, I just realized that I couldn't identify a specific "Yang style" way of doing the form. I can only easily identify the family variants.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Video Links