Tai Chi Basic Movements - Dao Juan Gong

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tai Chi Basic Movements - Dao Juan Gong

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:46 am

everything wrote:great descriptions, origami_itto. agreed on the injuries and blockage feeling, it's not some kinetic chain "muscle" thing (nothing wrong with that and athleticism and "external" and so on), and "hoses" is a good analogy. I had my gallbladder removed and had a feeling like "energy wouldn't flow". very much like water is flowing through your garden hose, but then there's a kink. once you have "dis-ease", the lack of "ease" really gives some feedback. but if you said "feel blah blah blah in your 'gallbladder meridian' as in those diagrams of meridians/energy paths while you do this mother palm walk" as if there's little micro-hoses off of the main hoses, then i have no idea. possibly it just takes more time for everything to open and "flow" nicely. nvm for a moment what happens with some shape, a moving shape, some kind of push hands, etc.

Thank you, and I agree it's not that kinetic chain model is "wrong" or "bad" it's just different.

It's so hard to describe meaningfully.

Like I talk about elastic force and I know the image in the mind is that you're stretching the muscle, and in some respects that's KINDA true, but more so than that it's about the shape of the body and the force describing the surface of the sphere? Hard to talk about.

Like press, if you think about it like your arms are describing a rubber hoop, the ward off is the point where the hoop deforms when you bounce it against the ground, then when the kinetic energy of the fall is spent, what's stored in the hoop makes the edge go back to regular shape and it bounces.

So when we roll back, that's like us the ball hitting the ground, but we don't take the force into us. The shape we make AROUND the force while meeting it on the knife's edge is what STORES the return force, and it doesn't have to go back the same way it came, we can move it to virtually anywhere within our sphere. When pressed on the left, empty the left, with force on the right, empty the right.

But when we empty that side, what becomes full and what does it become full of?

Elastic force in this respect is that it's not hitting through a ward off. It's creating that circle and then expanding that circle, and it creates a different type of force that's calculated with a different formula in physics than F=M*A. That's what I was trying to talk about here somewhat: https://atomictaichi.com/2023/12/07/und ... ing-force/

Like do you get more bang for your buck slapping somebody with the bands on a slingshot, or by putting a rock in the pouch, stretching, and releasing it?

Anyhow I really ought to get to work.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby charles on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:56 am

I well understand the desire to academically understand Taijiquan by creating theories of how it academically works and/or attempting to apply "science" to model what occurs. Unfortunately, most of these attempts fail quickly.

One of the reasons that many such attempts fail is that the real-life situation is far more complex than the rudimentary application of "science" that is usually summoned. For example, the study of mechanics is divided into statics and dynamics. Statics deals with objects that are in equilibrium with applied forces: the objects can be at rest or at a constant velocity. The sum of the forces is, by definition, zero. Dynamics deals with objects that are accelerating. Classical mechanics - both statics and dynamics - are based on Newton's laws. Newton's laws apply to rigid bodies: think of billiard balls colliding. Humans are not rigid objects and can change size and shape, complicating significantly the analysis of their motions, interactions and forces.

By contrast, springs are objects that, by definition, can be deformed by an applied force and, when the applied force is removed, return to its original undeformed shape. It is a mechanism for storing (potential) energy when deformed by an applied force and then, when the applied force is removed, return to its original shape releasing the stored energy (kinetic). The most common forms of springs are linear (compression or tension), torsional (angular rotation) and leaf (bending/unbending). Motion of the human body can be described or modelled as all three types of springs.

Work, in the scientific meaning of the term, is the transfer of energy to or from an object via an applied force along a displacement. Work is a measure of the transfer of energy, force is a measure of an objects change of motion.

All too often, those who want to "science the crap" out of Taijiquan - or similar arts - do so with limited knowledge of the science involved and often attempt to model the behaviour ins so simplified a way as to be un-meaningful.

With all of the theorizing - be it "science", mysticism or traditional concepts - the bottom line is what one can physically do. In other words, if one can't do much more than create academic viable-sounding theories of how this and that work, it's just a lot of words. Keep in mind that the creators of Taijiquan - and other related practices - whomever they were, didn't sit around all day theorizing about what their art was going to be and then attempted to implement that theory. Instead, they did physical practice and attained specific skills and abilities from that practice. The description, the theories, the academics came after the fact. Much of the theory is a pedagogic device aimed at teaching and communicating to others what you are doing. Regardless, the map is not the terrain.
Last edited by charles on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:26 am

Most efforts to fly fell flat pretty quickly prior to 1903.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby charles on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:08 pm

origami_itto wrote:Most efforts to fly fell flat pretty quickly prior to 1903.

True, and so did attempts to split atoms for nuclear energy, as did breathing underwater and many other "modern" technological advances. Do those have direct relevance to this topic, modelling and application of rudimentary physics to people engaging in Taijiquan?
charles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:38 pm

charles wrote:

True, and so did attempts to split atoms for nuclear energy, as did breathing underwater and many other "modern" technological advances. Do those have direct relevance to this topic, modelling and application of rudimentary physics to people engaging in Taijiquan?

@ charles , like your work.

Some general comments on the conversation .

What people are saying is true. feel everyone should remember. This is from another culture at a time when they understood things in a different way.. there are things that they can explain and do that cannot be addressed by Western physics because it’s not based on it.

It is based on their own science , follows , the theory , delivers the expected outcomes , very repeatable for those who follow the method.

Often wonder about a lot of conversations like these if the people discussing the theories can actually do what they’re talking about or have felt it.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:41 pm

charles wrote:One of the reasons that many such attempts fail is that the real-life situation is far more complex than the rudimentary application of "science" that is usually summoned.
The description, the theories, the academics came after the fact. Much of the theory is a pedagogic device aimed at teaching and communicating to others what you are doing. Regardless, the map is not the terrain.

Sums it up fine. Good post. 8-)

Regardless simplicity and complexity of theory, a real-life situation is experienced, not thought. Theory is created to analyze what you have done. It's there so you when have screwed things up, you should learn and not screw things up again, not repeat the same mistake twice. It's often about learning from mistakes and get better. But it's useless if you don't make your own mistakes. You can't just read books about chess to become a good chess player, you need to play hundreds, if not thousands of games, to become just a decent player. The books might help you to understand your mistakes and give you support on the road. But the road towards mastery is about learning by experience.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:11 pm

Bao wrote:Regardless simplicity and complexity of theory, a real-life situation is experienced, not thought. Theory is created to analyze what you have done. It's there so you when have screwed things up, you should learn and not screw things up again, not repeat the same mistake twice. It's often about learning from mistakes and get better. But it's useless if you don't make your own mistakes. You can't just read books about chess to become a good chess player, you need to play hundreds, if not thousands of games, to become just a decent player. The books might help you to understand your mistakes and give you support on the road. But the road towards mastery is about learning by experience.

That's the rub, getting out and challenging your assumptions.
Testing your hypothesis until you can observe some laws and then develop theories to explain them. Use the theories to find more untruth to eliminate.

If you aren't getting out and challenging yourself by letting people that don't want you to win try to make you lose, you're not getting better at the very least.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:17 pm

charles wrote:

Success comes from failure. In order to succeed at something there is a long period of failing at it.

I generally feel like I'm describing my own experiences accurately, but I understand that much is lost in the transmission. The more I try to communicate the ideas, the closer I feel I get to establishing that communicable conception.

Most people are so afraid of being incorrect they can't bother to try.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:51 pm

your normal analogies and descriptions are making sense to me to describe my subjective experience (not necessarily able to do or have any level of skill). "science" - really hard to say. as ww mentioned, the practical skills come from a different place/time with a different "science" and theory. those words and concepts can seem vague but make more sense as we learn practically, and do not attempt to / need to "translate", maybe a bit like learning language.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:57 pm

windwalker wrote:
origami_itto wrote:
everything wrote:An ex wrestler friend once told me a lot of his skill and strength came down to using his big toe. If I told you out of context here's an exercise for articulation of the big toe, it would make no sense. If I told you it's important for wrestling, it might make more sense. If exercises lost their context over time, presumably people could be "doing it wrong" or "for no reason". If you say it's "important", presumably you claim to have the context/reasons.

There's just so much misunderstanding out there.

I think the biggest problem lies in conflating Qi the life force that stores the energy for cells and Qi what we're cultivating in Taijiquan to support Jin. Meridians as electrical wires transmitting a signal vs meridians as "hoses" or "cords" carrying physical energy from the earth through our bodies to the place we want it to go.

It's understandable, they're so tightly integrated, and one cultivates the other and nobody really has a clear idea and separation of the concepts that they can and are willing to articulate. There isn't much motivation to, like describing colors people can't see. In Wu(Hao) they call it "something coming from nothing" you can't perceive it initially because it isn't strong enough to perceive and there is too much noise.

The specifically focused exercises can help you perceive it in particular places and pathways that you can then expand outwards to the rest of the body.

But you gotta do all the things, the relaxation, the alignment, the pulling, to generate sung, or you're going to wind up pushing rope or leveraging a structure instead of using jin.

Can you do any what you've just posted ?
How would you demo the differences ?
What in your opinion makes them different ?
he injured his knee trying, i belive he wrote a couple of posts back
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:23 pm

Trick wrote:he injured his knee trying, i belive he wrote a couple of posts back

No the knee is more about long term wear. I think it's how I get in and out of the car mainly. Have had problems with this one since i pulled a bad strain on the river getting pulled behind a boat on an inner tube 20 or so years ago.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby charles on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:08 pm

origami_itto wrote:Success comes from failure. In order to succeed at something there is a long period of failing at it.

That is generally true.

I've been playing the classical guitar for nearly 50 years and recently started teaching a novice to play. There is a lot of "failure" in her playing at this point, due to physically inabilities - inability to stretch the fingers, lack of coordination, lack of hand strength, etc. - and a lack of knowledge about music and how it works. Like many beginning players, it will take her a long period of failing at it to develop both the physical skills and the requisite musical knowledge. That is an example of attempting to develop skill and knowledge regarding an already defined/already well-understood "technology". The individual has to put in the time and effort to attain skill. The well-known Taiji adage of "invest in loss" is an example of this.

By contrast, there is Thomas Edison's example of trying many, many different filaments to finally find one that worked adequately as a light bulb. In that case, he was inventing something new, going beyond what was already known and worked. Again, lots of failure prior to finding something that worked.

I generally feel like I'm describing my own experiences accurately, but I understand that much is lost in the transmission. The more I try to communicate the ideas, the closer I feel I get to establishing that communicable conception.

I applaud your willingness to try.

However, I've seen many Taiji students - who often go on to become teachers - attempt to invent and theorize in a vacuum. Very few make much progress beyond creating lots of plausible-sounding theories that don't produce much in the way of results. Certainly one can argue that as long as they - and their students -are enjoying their journey, it doesn't really matter if they make any progress or have any success. I find it frustrating to watch as they chase their tails.

My other frustration is in having people attempt to use terms and concepts that they don't really understand in order to try to explain what is happening. As a simple example, some Taiji theorists suggest that they are harnessing centrifugal force when practicing slowly and turn the waist to move/drag an opponent. They aren't. Yes, centrifugal force is "a thing" in physics, and it does involve rotation (angular motion) but it isn't relevant or applicable to most push hands practice. It sounds plausible, much like it sounds plausible that heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones. However, heavier objects don't fall faster than lighter ones, even though it seems plausible. Sounding plausible doesn't make it true.

It seems, then, that the obvious question is rather than try to re-invent the wheel - coming up with new theories about how Taiji stuff works - what methods and thought processes have been shown to be successful? Does it not make sense to focus on those rather than attempt to create one's own un-proven methods, concepts and theories? Just how much theory and abstract concept is required to develop skills in Taijiquan? Certainly, one can spend lots of time attempting to model the effects of inertia, impulse, momentum, gravity, kinetic energy, potential energy and the elasticity of a trampoline, but how relevant are those to developing basic Taiji skills? Are they a distraction from doing more relevant, results-oriented things? It's great to contemplate these sorts of things, but what about the things that skilled people have explicitly said/written to focus on? Have you exhausted those and attained the skill and understanding that comes from those and are ready to investigate things further afield? If you want to see real improvement in your push hands skill and knowledge, for example, get to the bottom of what it means - in practical terms - to separate yin and yang, substantial and insubstantial. As I alluded to earlier, in my opinion, we don't really need better translations of these sort of directions. What we need is a better practical understanding of why they are important. That understanding mostly comes from practice under a sufficiently skilled teacher. Such teachers are rare and difficult to find.
Last edited by charles on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 am

charles wrote:
origami_itto wrote:I generally feel like I'm describing my own experiences accurately, but I understand that much is lost in the transmission. The more I try to communicate the ideas, the closer I feel I get to establishing that communicable conception.

I applaud your willingness to try.

Louder, please, hard to hear it from here.
However, I've seen many Taiji students - who often go on to become teachers - attempt to invent and theorize in a vacuum. Very few make much progress beyond creating lots of plausible-sounding theories that don't produce much in the way of results. Certainly one can argue that as long as they - and their students -are enjoying their journey, it doesn't really matter if they make any progress or have any success. I find it frustrating to watch as they chase their tails.

I abhor domestic chores so you will find me nowhere near a vacuum.
I've got a teacher, I get out and push with people who have teachers... I read classics I read western anatomical and kinesthelogical research. I talk to trainers...
Personally my own experience and impression is that I am improving so the work is working out. Maybe I could get there faster? WHO KNOWS. The point is that I'm not just sitting here smoking weed and making stuff up.

The map is not the territory, somebody said.
My other frustration is in having people attempt to use terms and concepts that they don't really understand in order to try to explain what is happening. As a simple example, some Taiji theorists suggest that they are harnessing centrifugal force when practicing slowly and turn the waist to move/drag an opponent. They aren't. Yes, centrifugal force is "a thing" in physics, and it does involve rotation (angular motion) but it isn't relevant or applicable to most push hands practice. It sounds plausible, much like it sounds plausible that heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones. However, heavier objects don't fall faster than lighter ones, even though it seems plausible. Sounding plausible doesn't make it true.

True.. waist rotation doesn't manifest centrifugal force unless it does.
I don't even know how to proceed with that. Centrifugal force is an accurate way to describe some aspects of push hands interactions. It emerges from a rotational frame of reference, not an inertial.

It seems, then, that the obvious question is rather than try to re-invent the wheel - coming up with new theories about how Taiji stuff works - what methods and thought processes have been shown to be successful? Does it not make sense to focus on those rather than attempt to create one's own un-proven methods, concepts and theories? Just how much theory and abstract concept is required to develop skills in Taijiquan? Certainly, one can spend lots of time attempting to model the effects of inertia, impulse, momentum, gravity, kinetic energy, potential energy and the elasticity of a trampoline, but how relevant are those to developing basic Taiji skills? Are they a distraction from doing more relevant, results-oriented things? It's great to contemplate these sorts of things, but what about the things that skilled people have explicitly said/written to focus on? Have you exhausted those and attained the skill and understanding that comes from those and are ready to investigate things further afield? If you want to see real improvement in your push hands skill and knowledge, for example, get to the bottom of what it means - in practical terms - to separate yin and yang, substantial and insubstantial. As I alluded to earlier, in my opinion, we don't really need better translations of these sort of directions. What we need is a better practical understanding of why they are important.

My teacher says to practice, so I practice. He also says he wasn't allowed to ask questions, so he answers them when I have them and tells me when I am wrong and sometimes comes up with whole seminars to address misconceptions of my own or others that he's run across.

None of these theories are my own invention, not saying anybody else cosigns any of the wacky shit that flies out of my mouth, just saying that I'm not bringing this stuff out of whole cloth. It's in full reference to and awareness of classical concepts and methods. It's a means of understanding them, not supplanting them.

The biggest mistakes I can make are twofold
1) get attached to the sensation of today, we observe in passing, we don't chase, things change and signs of progress today could be signs of stagnation tomorrow
2) get attached to the preciousness of my understanding, as a better model coalesces in my understanding the erroneous pieces fall way.

Both are fingers, not the moon, scaffolding that needs to be discarded at some point.

Yeah, I agree, separation of Yin and Yang is pretty important. It's a different topic than Jinlou though so I wonder what the relevance is?

What I find most disappointing is that, instead of discussing theory to approach a more correct common understanding, people would always rather talk about the people than the topic.

If you have better information, share it. If you can clarify a point, illuminate it. If something seems unfamiliar, consider it might be something you're unfamiliar with.

The point is to serve knowledge, not ego.

That understanding mostly comes from practice under a sufficiently skilled teacher. Such teachers are rare and difficult to find.

They don't come from not questioning and exploring.

That's been a key lesson of every good teacher in every topic but most especially kung fu.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:25 am

everyone is (rightly) saying go practice ... but it's easier to talk about our reflections including our rough theorizing.

the thread started with appledog posting his kids doing "basic" exercise. that's what they are doing: practicing. but people kind of beat up poor appledog over this or that. lots of good points but it's also all theory unless someone wants to talk about how that theory connects concretely to something they are doing. as far as i can tell, only origami attempted to articulate some of that in this thread, then everyone kind of also beat him up for it, lol. RSF is so supportive hahahaha.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:17 am

charles wrote:My other frustration is in having people attempt to use terms and concepts that they don't really understand in order to try to explain what is happening. As a simple example, some Taiji theorists suggest that they are harnessing centrifugal force when practicing slowly and turn the waist to move/drag an opponent. They aren't. Yes, centrifugal force is "a thing" in physics, and it does involve rotation (angular motion) but it isn't relevant or applicable to most push hands practice. It sounds plausible, much like it sounds plausible that heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones. However, heavier objects don't fall faster than lighter ones, even though it seems plausible. Sounding plausible doesn't make it true.

Can you explain this a little more...Find myself not really agreeing with it, hasn't been my experience
Seeking to understand another point of view.. Of course there is no dragging...when objects are joined..maybe its different. :-\
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links