judo footwork basics

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: judo footwork basics

Postby origami_itto on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:14 pm

Just trying to put my experience into words that describe it, Doc.

Like I said...

It's difficult to really describe or consider without ridiculous seeming hypotheticals yet it's plain to observe.

He says a thing isn't possible and asks me to explain it, and I do my best to explain what I think is happening. It's entirely possible we're doing and experiencing different things.

The bottom line is when the force comes in, it goes away and there's enough stiffness left to manipulate. There's no need to adjust footwork or angles or try to attack from the side in such a case.

In consideration we have to assume a situation. In actual practice we remain open to the correct response for the particular situation.

For instance if I were going to fight you, Doc, I'd take a sniper position about a mile away and pray the wind didn't change.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:42 pm

Imo, footwork in tcc is often neglected because of an emphasis on handwork or other things. The question is how footwork coordinates with everything else. As Doc points out, different opponents will have different approaches, and it's not always possible to tell. So, it's necessary to adjust. I'd say the tcc strategy or plan (of attack) is to first get into the optimal position.

John Wang talks a lot about 'leg skill, and I think his point is well taken. One can find opportunities for it in any form. People often say every step is a kick. I'd prefer to say every step contains a technique or application.

If someone wants to perform a hip throw, there's a best place for the feet, and a best way to get them there. Even in the "Classics" it says that when there's a problem "adjust the waist and feet."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:34 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Anyone who has developed real expertise in genuine IMA methods will NOT brace or resist in any direction, imo. Instead, they will attach, adhere, join and follow, transferring incoming energy and power to the ground through their structure, while simultaneously neutralizing and countering from a solid root with uncompromised balance and stability. ymmv.

in their theory, they say if pushed, pull. if pulled, push. everyone here knows I like Fedor, but imho he rare "borrows". He more just overpowers his opponent from the get go. Then he might "borrow" a little to throw them. But IMA ime seems like a "different quality". I don't think I could "get it" by only going to randori, even though that's such a fantastic and fun thing to do. If, as @windwalker said, "it" is already in everyone, but one has to remove the blockers, then unfortunately I need a lot of baby levels first, and that's going to be logistically difficult to go do. It's too hard to get out of one's own way. Ph and randori are for "later" even though I could easily logistically access those. Eh, not enough lifetimes for so much cool stuff.

FMA

really like the FMA-like diagram as well. no idea why. something cool about those.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links