Retreat to ride tiger

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Retreat to ride tiger

Postby GrahamB on Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:54 pm

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Retreat to ride tiger

Postby origami_itto on Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:11 pm

Looks like our retreat to ride tiger is a little different. Battery dying but the second part of this is actually what I'd map onto the movement as an application.

https://youtu.be/vp7WRt2-AiQ?si=CCvKGiM9SAWC9KSO
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:22 am

Well that's certainly different.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:24 am

GrahamB wrote:Well that's certainly different.

Yep it's more about the store and release than like a blind strike to the rear. This is mainly different in that the hands and feet are swapped but doesn't matter, it works either way.

When he tries to apply the shoulder, I route it straight down into the ground in the front. He's putting strength straight in that one direction. My weight and our force is on the front foot. You can see how my upper back and neck sort of covers the shoulder like a wet towel on a bald head. :D

As I start the intention to shift the weight to the back left leg, notice my heel comes up, like a step back, then as the weight shifts and I turn the heel comes down and the front heel comes up as that leg empties.

The turn peels his unidirectional force and twists it to my strong side, breaking his posture and as my weight settles backwards, the force of my mass moving from one foot to the other and bouncing off the floor is released through my right hand. Since he's scared and aggressive he's tense and it moves through his arm into his frame and he goes back.

I should probably be working on keeping my heels down more.

Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:25 am

Imo, the transition between Step up Seven Stars and Turn, Sweep Lotus is interesting because it's a preparation as much as a specific application. I.e., it helps with the spin :)

Separately, I've seen Graham's example of using Kao. It's harder for me to imagine it in the form sequence, but that's my fault. There must be more than a few possible applications.

After the upward crossed-forearms in 7stars, what are the hands doing during the step back? Yeah, they could be doing anything, but what do you imagine from the perspective of the form?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:41 am

Steve James wrote:Imo, the transition between Step up Seven Stars and Turn, Sweep Lotus is interesting because it's a preparation as much as a specific application. I.e., it helps with the spin :)

Separately, I've seen Graham's example of using Kao. It's harder for me to imagine it in the form sequence, but that's my fault. There must be more than a few possible applications.

After the upward crossed-forearms in 7stars, what are the hands doing during the step back? Yeah, they could be doing anything, but what do you imagine from the perspective of the form?

In the Dong sabre form, the sabre is on the left arm at the seven stars. The movement starts with a turn to the left and a step back with the left foot. The right hand clears down to under the elbow then comes up inside the arm as you turn to the right and step back with the right foot. The beginning of that could be pulling them into the butt of the sabre. The right hand is leading them forward and the left is aiming at the face as you shift. Could also be pulling their flesh along the blade depending on the angle.

The step back and turn to the right can be considered an evasion with the left hand keeping them tensioned out, then the weight shift back with the turn back to the left brings all the power from the step out to the hands. So it could be a pull down with the left or a sort of peng like in my gif with the right, or even a split.

I mean, sure, Kao going back, I won't argue that it isn't there. It's there. I just think that Kao is usually expressed as part of a set. Without a pull down first it's a blind strike that might land you on your ass as easy as put them on theirs.

Not the best, I haven't thought about this in a couple years actually so a little rusty but had my wife shoot a quick video so you can at least get some idea what I'm talking about. We're in the middle of moving hence the boxes.
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:33 am

Please!!!!
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 pm

How do you do it? Show me.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:41 pm

You have to earn it
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:34 pm

wayne hansen wrote:You have to earn it

Bruh...

You're delusional.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:36 pm

You haven't touched hands with someone outside your school this century and you think you have anything like relevant knowledge? How does that even work?

You're always going on about people talking about shit they can't do, by all measures, including the scant video you have available, you haven't shown that you can do ANYTHING except talk.

What's gotta be earned is for anyone to take anything you say seriously.

Show me or shut up, quite frankly.
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links