Making internal arts practical

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Making internal arts practical

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:37 am

I like anybody's efforts to make Internal Chinese martial arts more practical

(There's a great opportunity for the "they are already practical you just don't understand them!" mystical crowd - Wayne, I'm looking at you - to jump in here...)

Yes, I think they are already practical, but there are certain practical realities of fighting that are often not addressed in IMA. We're not talking about rocket science, just simple things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EItSB4XwMU

Good effort by this guy.

Some things he says I don't agree with, but on the whole I like the gist of what he's saying.

What's interesting to me is that near the end he's ending up with something that is very like Xing Yi's Pao Quan, but with the arm held nearer the head.

Around 4.40- he's talking about keeping the arms near the head without that gap that people can throw punches through.

Usually you see Pao Quan done like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAIBgAUyJQ4

Notice that big air gap between the defensive hand and the head. I was always taught to remove that gap so it should feel like you're squeezing through a tight space - I asked my teacher why he said both ways are fine, but it was the most practical way to do it.

I don't think either way is better, but I think it depends on the range you're going for - closer range you need less gap - at a longer range the gap might be necessary.

So, in a case of Pao Quan - if you are working on the outside of their attacking arm, then a gap makes sense, but if you are attacking inside their attack then no gap makes sense. Our particular style of Xing Yi seeks to get on the inside a lot - attack within their attack, so you're hitting them at the moment they think they're hitting you.

Does that... make sense?
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Making internal arts practical

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:44 am

First guy is just doing boxing
His opponents punches don’t reach him so why would you bother to parry them
It’s just a wasted move just hit back
The second guy I don’t like either his footwork or the structure of his arms
As for pao we have 3 different versions in our 3 linking forms
If you knew anyone who new me the last word they would is mystical
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:14 am

The most basic and advanced teaching from the correctly practiced internal arts is developing reading/sensing forces directed toward you both upon touch and from distance,
It’s not about holding a specific external guard with one’s arms and similar technicalities, if one does such things then oneself becomes readable
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:22 am

I really like Niko's push hands, but I did start to become skeptical when he said it was just a sensitivity exercise and needed other stuff to compensate.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:45 am

so he's saying "make this move more like 'high guard' "? doesn't sound too radical or mind-blowing or "anti woo woo"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:55 am

GrahamB wrote:I like anybody's efforts to make Internal Chinese martial arts more practical

(There's a great opportunity for the "they are already practical you just don't understand them!" mystical crowd - Wayne, I'm looking at you - to jump in here...)

Yes, I think they are already practical, but there are certain practical realities of fighting that are often not addressed in IMA. We're not talking about rocket science, just simple things.

So, in a case of Pao Quan - if you are working on the outside of their attacking arm, then a gap makes sense, but if you are attacking inside their attack then no gap makes sense. Our particular style of Xing Yi seeks to get on the inside a lot - attack within their attack, so you're hitting them at the moment they think they're hitting you.

Does that... make sense?

yes,

" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:57 am

Trick wrote:The most basic and advanced teaching from the correctly practiced internal arts is developing reading/sensing forces directed toward you both upon touch and from distance,
It’s not about holding a specific external guard with one’s arms and similar technicalities, if one does such things then oneself becomes readable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mf2ua6PGdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPP0TmqKiU
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:04 am

Great demos

If you like NBA, makes me think of Jokic.

Seems super relaxed and casual.

People call him “unathletic” but nobody disputes his technicality. MVP for a reason(s)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:02 am

It's a good topic. I think answers will vary depending on an individual's specific goals.

Karate is different than IMA, but Iain Abernethy's approach is a nice addition to our cognitive toolboxes in terms of evaluating our own goals and practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I36exR ... katabunkai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtsYnT ... katabunkai
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:07 am

I can't understand a word that guy is saying. All I can hear are bagpipes?

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:44 am

Bhassler wrote:It's a good topic. I think answers will vary depending on an individual's specific goals.

Karate is different than IMA, but Iain Abernethy's approach is a nice addition to our cognitive toolboxes in terms of evaluating our own goals and practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I36exR ... katabunkai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtsYnT ... katabunkai

I like what he's saying but I'll add that what's realistic is both Nonconsensual and usually ASYMMETRICAL violence.

Generally you can escape 95% (random number, how can you prove a negative?) of potential violent conflicts either by de-escalating or evacuating.

What's that number reach when you're an average sized man who carries themselves like a martial artist?

The ones that are generally unavoidable aren't BJJ tough guy gets jumped near as often as women gets assaulted in her home by a home invasion or romantic partner or family member. Random criminal or fratboy picks someone vulnerable looking.

Kata, sparring, whatever, it goes out the window with 50 lbs of muscle difference between you. I don't care how good you are. (another random number)

Situational awareness and comfort with tactically useful objects and the ability to spot substitutes in the wild. Emotional regulation.

It's all well and good to move well but like Qi Jiguang said.

(These skills will not prepare you for battle, but they can supply you with extra strength. Therefore they too should be a part of military training. On the other hand, civilians who do not have much strength can also learn much that is useful from these skills, which is why I have included this chapter at the end.)
  Boxing arts do not seem to be useful skills for the battlefield, but they exercise the hands and feet, and accustom the limbs and body to hard work. Thus they serve as basic training. Therefore I have included this discussion of them as the final chapter, in order to complete this study [of military theory].

Part of why I scoff at "combat" ____ in marketing.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:01 pm

I like what Iain says
My teacher always stressed
Hands to fists
Not fist to hands
Don’t give away your intention by taking a stance
San Ti can be done without it being obvious
Pushing hands is like SJ grip fighting without gripping
San shou teaches where to go from 88 various places when you add in the unders and overs it shows many other lines of response
I like Iain and will look into more of his stuff but I think I need Billy Conolly to translate
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:24 pm

As much as I enjoy Mr Abanethy’s videos (and I do) he seems to be parroting the exact same nonsense that “traditional” martial artists have been saying since the 1990s and UFC 1, so in that way nothing has changed. It’s an exercise in the straw man argument:

He sets up the flase dichotomy between “sports” (or “modern”) and “traditional” martial artists, when in fact there is no easy distinction to make - the biggest ‘sport’ marital arts like Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, Boxing or Muay Thai are in fact older than many “traditional” marital arts like Aikido, Karate and Taekwondo - it’s these “traditional” martial arts that are in fact, “modern”. Sport fighting is ancient for a reason.

So, moving on from that he then sets up the straw man argument that “sports” martial artists can’t distinguish between techniques that work within a sporting context and those that would work on the “street” (which is another straw man concept)

His argument is one of context - that “the objective is key” - define the objective then work back to the most effective way of achieving that.(to paraphrase) He says: “it’s not a matter of what works or doesn’t work, but a matter of what’s relevant or irrelevant”.

I say (with respect to the man because I think he's great :) ) bullshit! :)

Some things work and some things would never work in a month of Sundays. Just admit it Mr Abernethy. Some of the kata applications he teaches I don’t think would “work” in real life.

The other thing is, I can spar BJJ with complete realization that I wouldn’t want to be turning upside down underneath my opponent in a real life confrontation. I have the mental ability to differentiate between those two things, as does everybody else. Musashi was wrong when he said “you can only fight the way you train”. We are not automatons, we are human beings.

The things is “sports” marital arts (which are often the real “traditional” martial arts) is that you get to spar with resistance, and doing all that sparring with resistance is what builds all the skills that actually translate to real life situations- dealing with aggression, dealing with non compliance, dealing with an attackers strategy, dealing with trickery, dealing with the adrenaline surge, having enough cardio not to pass out, getting used to being hit, being thrown and being submitted.

You can do 1 step, 2 step, ’you do this, I do that’ type applications all day while looking down on “sport” fighters who do stuff that follows rules… but look in the mirror. It’s the way you train that matters not what label you put on your marital art.

Sorry to everybody offended by this. But going on to what he says about guards - what he says there is actually pretty damn good. :)
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:35 am

Most people don’t understand that you need to first understand and learn how to use Tai Chi strategy and tactics for the "techniques"/applications to work. Tai Chi represents a way to relate and adapt to the opponent that is very different to the western type of trading-punches-chasing-points fighting game.

wayne hansen wrote:I like what Iain says
My teacher always stressed
Hands to fists
Not fist to hands
Don’t give away your intention by taking a stance.

I have been taught the same.

Also that you need to keep your hands up, but that it should not look as you have a guard. You should not show any intent and not signal any attack.

"Nothing to something. Something from nothing."

However, speaking about real situations and real aggressions, if you can remain calm, "empty", and don't react to either aggression or action, most people won't even initiate an attack, and lose the will to start a fight. Most people need a certain "trigger", to make a person fall into the monkey-see-monkey-do trap. If you refuse to be that second monkey, the first monkey has no one to play the monkey dance together with.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:38 am

Take a rugby league or union player
Two similar games,fitness equal
Yet it takes time to adapt from one set of trained reactions to another
I don’t know if he’s right or wrong but it is food for thought
What I train is as it is meant to be used
Each day I think I should be forgetting all this martial stuff and train at a higher level
Each day I fail
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links