Slow Longfist

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Slow Longfist

Postby Bob on Thu May 09, 2024 10:57 am

I can't remember what topic was discussing the relationship of longfist to taijiquan and I think someone said that all longfist is played fast. Although I posted this some time back just wanted to illustrate that not all longfist is fast. This version is what Liu Yunqiao learned when he was 8 or so and taught to him by the family bodyguard in Cangzhou, Hebei. It was taught to the young Liu Yunqiao to improve his health and the bodyguard also taught him mizong yi (3 forms). This was done before Liu Yungqiao started under Li Shuwen. He called this Taizuquan and I think Sal had some commentary regarding the practice - It has over 100 movements and this clip is a subsample of the practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3nWtZSfAx4

Taizu Changquan

This is "slow support boxing". To practice the internal stretching of the body, you should relax your intention without exerting force, and cooperate with the breathing to relax and complete.

One of the commentators asks:
Why so slow?

[b]Responses:[/b]

1) Used for practicing An Jin

2) This is "slow support boxing". To practice the internal stretching of the body, you should relax your intention without exerting force, and cooperate with the breathing to relax and complete.

Chen Style Longfist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja5xE_dwjGA

Chen 108 Long Boxing from Chen Li-qing and demo' d by Chen Yong-Fu. This is the 108 Chang Chuan recognized by the Chenjiagou committee as being the version Chen Wang-ting incorporated into Chen Taijiquan.

Last edited by Bob on Thu May 09, 2024 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Re: Slow Longfist

Postby wayne hansen on Thu May 09, 2024 11:35 am

Not impressed with the Chen longfist
Years ago I was given a VHS of the old lady at the start
Now she had some Fa Jin
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu May 09, 2024 11:29 pm

Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Fri May 10, 2024 12:39 am

At one stage the fastest swimmers in the world did all their training slowly
Their coach was Garnadi Teretski
The swimmers were Alex Popov and Michael Klim
I try to get all my swimming friends to do Butterfly as slow as they can
I just love it
If you want to get full body connection try it
Last edited by wayne hansen on Fri May 10, 2024 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bob on Fri May 10, 2024 5:34 pm

Chen style 108 forms Long Fist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjfw0GzwK2w

Wang Zhenhua says he learnt the form from Chen Zhaokui. DU Wencai, another disciple of CZK, published a book in early 1990s in which he presented Long Fist in 108 Postures and Short Fist in 48 Postures. He also claimed he learnt them from CZK. There are still people in Shanghai who practice these routines

Comments:
17 years ago
This is NOT the 108 routine long fist form Chen shi Taijiquan. Chen Li-qing who now resides in Xi'an, teaches the routine that is recognized in Chenjiagou. There is a series of vid's out with Chen ong-Fu teaching/demonstrating this set. It also includes an interview with CLQ and how it came about.

4 years ago
yes this is the one that Chen Fa Ke taught, which is different in many ways. But, if the 108 that Chen Li-qing is the one she brought back from Shanxi Hong Tong, then why is it completely different from the 108 form that they do in that style?

this matches the other video of Chen Zhaokui 108 posture form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVN-Ro2dsQ0&t=266s

Chen Zhao Kui Tai Ji Quan Si Lu 108 postures - Chen Zhao Kui linage tai ji quan, person showing the "rare" fourth road - a 108 postures set

Last edited by Bob on Fri May 10, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sat May 11, 2024 12:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUn8BH7pNM

Wuji Tongbei Chan Quan (Hongdong Tongbei) / Chen Taiji 108 Posture Long Fist

This is the complete, original, Chen family 108 posture Long Fist form performed by a master of the Wuji Tongbei Chan Quan system.
This form is believed by members of the Chen Family to be the form that was used as the basis for the creation of the long form of Chen Taiji by Chen Wangting.
This form has also been claimed by some to be part of the original martial arts brought from Shanxi by Chen Bu, the founder of the Henan branch of the Chen family in the reign of Ming Taizu.
The Hongdong Tong Bei tradition traces back to Chen BuFu, 12th generation descendant of the Henan Chen Taiji family.

Around the year 1780 he killed a government official and was forced to flee. Leaving Henan he traveled to Shanxi province's Hongdong county in Linfen prefecture where he had relatives living. Hongdong was the original home of the Chen family before they were relocated to Henan during the early Ming land clearances.
Changing his name to Guo Yongfu he sought a job teaching martial arts to the son of a local official.
The style he taught became known as Wújí Tōng Bèi Chán Quán (Wuji Connected Through the Back Reeling Boxing) otherwise known as Hongdong Tongbei. It's a mixture of early Chen family martial arts and local Shanxi TongBei. However the core set remains the original Chen family 108 longfist form.

When Chen BuFu fled to Shanxi and established the Wuyi Tongbei Chan Quan tradition he passed this form on to his martial descendants. Small frame Taiji master Chen Liqing traveled to Shanxi in the 1970's to learn the form from the Wuji Tongbei Chan Quan masters and return it to the Chen family curriculum.

Bob
Great Old One

Return to Video Links