XYQ clips from tadzio...

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: XYQ clips from tadzio...

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:49 am

xingyijuan wrote: How can the "energy'" transfer to the target if the fist is not tight? When you punch, you try to have your fist as tight as possible at the last possible moment, am I right?

Totally disagree.

As long as you can maintain structural integrity of your fist, energy will transfer from your arm into the body. Simple physics.

You can even punch with your four fingers completely hanging loose, but keeping your knuckles in line with your wrist, forearm and elbow. I've been told when I strike like that it's heavy enough.
Last edited by Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:51 am

Ian wrote: I've been told when I strike like that it's heavy enough.

You have been told? Haven't you tried so you can speak out of your own experience?

I can say that I agree 100 percent with your post, as I only hit with a very soft fist. As you say, keeping the alignment is enough. If you relax and focus, it is much more easy to keep the alignment and hit correctly. Even if you tense upon impact you can hurt your wrist as you deal with a moving object. One must strike the target with a correct angle. This is the same for both tense and relaxed striking.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:17 pm

"I've been told" i.e. when I do that in sparring, my partners drop and say they don't want to continue.

Anyone can do that with correct alignment and relaxation.
Last edited by Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Swede on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 am

Regarding the brain damage due to boxing with gloves versus without, my understanding of that is simply gloves let the fight go a lot longer, causing boxers to sustain more hits over the course of their careers. Promoters wanted gloves to make the fights last longer rather than for the protection of their boxers. Robert Smith has quite a rant about this in one of his books
Swede
Mingjing

Postby bartekb on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:13 am

Promoters wanted gloves to make the fights last longer rather than for the protection of their boxers. Robert Smith has quite a rant about this in one of his books

Its good to note that bare hand fight could last much longer than the recent boxing fights - also due to the fact that bare hand boxers were more cautious with defense.
For example Stanley Ketchel (1886-1910) fighting bare hand or with minimal protection, excellent Polish/American boxer, in his last fight was knocked out in the 12th round in a fight contracted to 20 rounds. He also had fights lasting full 20 rounds.

Look at the gloves he used, when not fighting barehanded
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:18 am

Nice San Ti Shi too. ;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:24 am

You guys have to remember with bare knuckle boxing that with the absence of gloves, or even the scrawny little gloves they often used in boxing matches, they would not hit to the head as hard for fear of breaking there hand. So naturally fights would last longer! With bigger, thicker gloves you can really smack hard with minimal fear of breaking your hand!
CHeers
Jake -mg-
JAB

Postby bartekb on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:45 am

they would not hit to the head as hard for fear of breaking there hand.

probably you are right - but not always:

"Ketchel, already bloodied, knocked Johnson down, then, in the 12th, Ketchel faced the alleged wrath of Jack Johnson.

Upon regaining his feet, Jack Johnson knocked out Ketchel with a blow full in the mouth. Ketchel did not wake up for many minutes and some of his teeth were knocked out by the blow, some imbedded in Johnson's glove.:
Badasses 8-)
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:32 am

As with anything bro their are exceptions. Look at the stat's of the fighters back in the day and the head shots were not as many when fighting 20 rounds!!
Jake -box-
JAB

Postby bartekb on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:08 pm

did not know they had any stats back then - cool:)
any material concerning those good old times would be most welcome:)
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Coach DAi on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 am

Incredible! Thats a Beng Jin for ya ass! That shenfa you guys do is bugged-out! Tadz this clip was a real treat. Thanks for sharing that. Dont get to see much Song style. As a Che style guy I always admire you guys.
Last edited by Coach DAi on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

alias Dai-BoXeR aKa Bronze Tiger
CLUB XINYIDAO http://www.myspace.com/clubxyd
Coach DAi
Santi

Postby SquattingMonkey on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:40 am

That is really cool looking Xingyiquan, I have never seen it done with that type of shaking power before, but it looks powerful and smooth. I have seen very similar shaking power done by a master of southern mantis years ago. I think his name was Henry Pu Yee.
SquattingMonkey
Santi

Postby nianfong on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:26 pm

henry pu yi... isn't that the last emperor? :o

At first I was confused, since most xingyi you want the hand not to shake so the power goes through, and is not wasted by coming back into the body. but this seems like what you'd do if you want your strikes to be powerful yet be able to pull back quickly to continue to your next strike. though I think the non-shaking way has more power, personally, I have not felt tadzio's master's power so I really can't say. but this way would make your subsequent strikes quicker, IMO.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Muad'dib on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:50 pm

Fantastic clip, great skill. And unlike many people, this man does not have short power, his expression is long. He is not creating that shake, nor is he restraining it. It allows his power the greatest extension, without limitation. I am jealous of tadzio for having such a great teacher.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Even if the shake is exaggerated, he's still relaxed, pliable, and connected enough to create it. Looks weird to my untrained eye, but his skill is evident.
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links