Sifu Zhong Luo's School - White Eye Brow

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Sifu Zhong Luo's School - White Eye Brow

Postby CaliG on Sat May 31, 2008 11:48 pm

Last edited by CaliG on Sat May 31, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Re: Sifu Zhong Luo's School - White Eye Brow

Postby ilove_thistuff on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:28 am

Went there for a short time then i moved....zhong luo is an awsome teacher, real nice guy...and the school is really tough but yes these folks know how to fight. Internal power...yes, external power...yes....what you get out of it depends on what you want to focus on and he's good because he likes to train with folks all the time instead of letting others do the work for him. His belief is that kung fu was allways Mixed and evolving and now has his guys going to local mma places. I think he's great for the kung fu community especially since everybody thinks kung fu is crap on youtube. You'll all see them say do muah thai or bjj kung fu sucks ass!
ilove_thistuff
Anjing

Postby I am... on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 am

I have fought with some of his guys in the past, they were pretty tough guys, came in aggressive. That is more I can say for most Chinese schools unfortunately :(
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby JAB on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:23 pm

Bare knuckle fighting is silly and un-needed. Otherwise looks tight. Do they do BJJ or something to supplement their stand up? I saw some ground stuff there.
Jake -sumo-
JAB

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:57 pm

Bare knuckle fighting is far more practical than gloved fighting, in my opinion. More realistic for what you'd expect in a self-defense situation.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby JAB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:26 am

Also more dangerous, and not needed. If you break your hand on my head, or split open my face then both of us are out of training for some time. Wated time, for really no good reason. If you want "reality" that is that "real" just go fight.
Stupid. You don't see pro fighters fighting without protection do you?
Jake -box-
JAB

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:45 am

When I spar without gloves I tend to naturally use more open hand strikes than closed fist. Our regular gloves are really thin which helps prevent serious injuries while keeping most of the realism of bare knuckles. I think its a happy medium. I also agree that getting hurt training isn't worth it, which is why when sparring with a lot of contact it is important for everyone to be in complete control of what they are doing.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby JAB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:31 am

If you are using open palm strikes then it cannot hurt anything by wearing glovs. Complete control is not something to rely on. Gloves should always be worn if there is any contact. But to each their own.
Jake -saber-
JAB

Postby CaliG on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:36 am

JAB wrote:Bare knuckle fighting is silly and un-needed. Otherwise looks tight. Do they do BJJ or something to supplement their stand up? I saw some ground stuff there.
Jake -sumo-

I'm told that their ground fighting comes from one of the Chinese styles they do.

I could be wrong but that's the word in the bay area.

Omar, any help?
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby JAB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:38 am

BS No Chinese styles have any ground fighting. I cannot tell how extensive it is because all the clips on the site are very short and fast, not showing anything more than 1-2 seconds of ground work.
I contacted them awhile back re: their claim of doing Mongolian wrestling, but they did not elaborate, just tried to see me their DVD's.
Jake -joint-
JAB

Postby strawdog on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:44 am

Bare knuckle fighting is where it's at. I like this kind of sparring. It's better preparation for a real world use of fighting skills.

Gloves are cool if you're boxing, but bare knuckle is realistic. You can't just throw punches to my head with impunity when you fight bare knuckle. When you wear the light mma gloves your fingers are also a bit spread out. You can't slap as well and your fingers get tweaked easier.

Pro-fighters rely on their hands to make a living. In the combat sport they participate in jabs and punches to the head are common practice. They wrap their hands as to minimize the chance of the hand being broken from a punch to the head. Even with gloves and wraps boxers still break their hands. People get knocked out and cut all the time when punching with gloves. So what's the difference?

In sparring, people with gloves often punch a lot harder that without gloves. Why? Because they feel protected. When you go bare knuckle in sparring people are a lot more careful, IME.
Last edited by strawdog on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 pm

strawdog wrote:Bare knuckle fighting is where it's at. I like this kind of sparring. It's better preparation for a real world use of fighting skills.

Gloves are cool if you're boxing, but bare knuckle is realistic. You can't just throw punches to my head with impunity when you fight bare knuckle. When you wear the light mma gloves your fingers are also a bit spread out. You can't slap as well and your fingers get tweaked easier.

Pro-fighters rely on their hands to make a living. In the combat sport they participate in jabs and punches to the head are common practice. They wrap their hands as to minimize the chance of the hand being broken from a punch to the head. Even with gloves and wraps boxers still break their hands. People get knocked out and cut all the time when punching with gloves. So what's the difference?

In sparring, people with gloves often punch a lot harder that without gloves. Why? Because they feel protected. When you go bare knuckle in sparring people are a lot more careful, IME.

I agree. There is a place for both in the way I train, but gloves also encourage you to use a fist "hand-shape" and in Hung, the regular fist is not the majority of our striking method. I tend to work with people so that they spar and drill without protection most of the time, and then work bags with and without gloves to develop their power, along with supplemental equipment training like SC uses. Learning how to hit the body without gloves on is an art in and of itself.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby strawdog on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Learning how to hit the body without gloves on is an art in and of itself.

I agree. It's so easy to mess your hands hitting the wrong way.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:50 pm

strawdog wrote:
Learning how to hit the body without gloves on is an art in and of itself.

I agree. It's so easy to mess your hands hitting the wrong way.

Thats why I do 90% of my bag work at home w/o gloves. Once you get used to small gloves or no gloves its hard to put on the giant bulky boxing gloves, they make your hands feel so awkward.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby strawdog on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:26 pm

I do 50/50 of my bag work with and without gloves. Hitting a body is different from a bag. There are bones and weird angles that can mess you up.
strawdog
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links