Zhaobao taiji tuishou in Singapore

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Zhaobao taiji tuishou in Singapore

Postby Josealb on Thu May 21, 2009 8:47 pm

Heya, Tom.

Are you practicing Zheng Wu Qing's Zhao Bao, by any chance?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Fri May 22, 2009 11:17 am

That's one of the most minimalist forms I've ever seen. Can someone shed some light on what's going on with this method? Man in black in the first clip seems to not move much at all...hate to criticize, but I feel like he suffers from "relax = don't move" taiji disease...
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Roll Back on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:39 am

Hello, Zhaobao Taiji guy here and I'll take a crack at shedding some light on Zhaobao. First there are many different methods in Zhaobao and this can be very confusing and distracting for anyone checking out Zhaobao and a student of Zhaobao,(me).

Liu Rui's method could be considered minimalist from one perspective but actually there is alot going on and it only appears like nothing. A couple of reasons that it looks like nothing is, no excess energy is put into a movement and all the small little details of the movement want to be done naturally and without thought.

As for the guy in Black it appears that he is in a lesson and they are taping it. Not all lessons are the same but my guess he does not get to see his teacher much and he does not want to be busy doing anything on his side so he can absorb as much as possible from his teacher. Much of Lui Rui's method is very subtle and it is very easy to miss something.

The method is Circle. In the solo form you train you mind and body to allow the circles to flow easily and without getting stuck or held back. I have found through my own practice it is I that gets in the way of my own circle. I just need to get out of my own way. This is not so easy but the result is more Song Ru, (soft and supple) You then apply this method of not letting any energy get stuck in your body with an opponent and let it get stuck in them. They loose their ability to move without using force. When they use force there is an instance for you let it go through you and you circle and do what you want. The opponent should feel like they could get you but somehow you are always one step ahead and when they fall they think it is something they did. Not caused by you.

This the best I can do shedding some light on Zhaobao. If you want I can re-post Master Liu Rui's interview where he explains a little bit of his method.
Roll Back
Santi

Postby kreese on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Roll Back...if you still have it I'd love to read that interview. Thx.
kreese
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks, Tom. I'm debating whether or not it is worth it for me to check him out someday. Nothing against him or his method, more my own growing lack of appreciation for taiji's subtlety.
kreese
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:20 am

See, it's right there. Zhangsanfeng created taiji. Argument over. :)
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:33 pm

You're right about being clear about what I want, and I'd also add that being clear about what people can or are willing to offer is also important. When both aspects are in check I think less effort is wasted.
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Roll Back on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:02 am

From my experience with learning and practicing Zhaobao I feel Liu Rui's interview is a very good outline on his style of Zhaobao. If you are interested in a non biased opinion check this book out. There is a chapter where the author meets up with Zhaobao and Liu Rui.

http://www.amazon.com/Chi-Bruce-Lee-Adv ... 1583942688
Roll Back
Santi

Postby kreese on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 am

It turns out that the beginner's form classes are prohibitively expensive for me right now. I think I am best served by reviewing the ample amount of material that I've been fortunate enough to have learned so far. Thanks for all the info, perhaps in the future I can explore what seems to be a very intriguing take on taiji training.
kreese
Great Old One

Return to Video Links