some new bagua

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: some new bagua

Postby Walk the Torque on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:50 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Any bagua players have any advice. I'm always looking for outside criticism so that I can improve my practice.
Thanks-Mix

Hi Mix, Nice to see your progression. What a cool art hey!

You seem to be nailing the sequential uncoiling in the moves; I wonder if you have considered the sequential coiling? Also you seem to have enough of an idea of the flow of spiral to start working on the transitionary (is that a word!?!?) phase from one step to another; noticible 0:31, 1:02, 1:26. You seem to be 'jumping' into the next movement as opposed to rooting-pulling-spiraling into the next move.

The transition from horizontal to vertical in the 2nd palm is not without connection but you may wish to pay attention to the vertical splitting motion in the hands, and mantaining the power there. Sometimes seperating the hands and working on them one at a time is a good way to go. I have found either striking something, getting someone to test the posture can give a lot of good feedback. Breaking things down like this has its drawbacks, but you can be sure to get functional power in every movement. You could try using light weights (two cans of baked beans) during form practice. If you do use weights though, be sure the power is still coming from the centre or legs.

One more thing, is on your wind ups watch out for the big toes. they are rising a little. This may cause a little slowing of your ability to change direction in the long run, reduce your ability to root force from those pesky opponants and undertrain your coiling in the legs. Maybe pay attention to having the weight centred in the foot (not between the feet). Even though this is a foundation thing, I can see your not a beginner, it is just sometimes easy to forget these things.

Anyway, it looks really good and you are obviously putting in the work. Have fun. All the best.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Re: some new bagua

Postby circle_walker on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:
circle_walker wrote:I would say to pull from your waist more, Bagua focuses on the waist alot. Perhaps some intention on the individual techniques(are you using 'hiding flower' as a block, or a redirection of your opponent?). Maybe round your back more on the "closing" movements. The movents are pretty clear, which is good; but lack intention(I only watched it once, and I'm at work)from what I can see. Focus some intent on what each movement is supposed to be doing. You're not bobbing up and down, that's really good, and your stepping looks well practiced too.

Yeah, I would say that intention is lacking in this clip. I would also say that the movement is way too soft. I would like to put up a slightly faster/More forceful clip, but I hit a sweet spot in my walking recently that only works on slow mode (for now at least, until I get more gong fu in my legs). Thanks for the advice! :D

Don't rush it, there's nothing wrong with taking things slow, and deliberate. when I say "intention" I don't mean that you should move like you're taking an opponent's arm off, I mean to put the energy of the applications into your movement. The two moves that I still do the most are "lean against hosre", and "hiding flower underneath leaves". Both of these can be applied offensively, or defensively, and have a lot of variations, though they retain the same basic movement; but you can mentally apply the move as a block(head, or torso), or elbow break, or even an evasive move. If you know what you are doing the move for (even if it varies each time you practice), it will come through. Don't just do the move because it's part of the form. Don't rush it, it's not an easy style, and it's obvious that you're putting alot of work into it. Keep it up!
circle_walker
Santi

Previous

Return to Video Links