Xingyi 3 of 5 Elements Clip (me :-P)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Xingyi 3 of 5 Elements Clip (me :-P)

Postby BajiFan on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:14 am

Learned some xingyi quan a few years ago and decided to try it again after being inspired by some other user videos. Filmed pi quan, beng quan, and pao quan before getting interrupted and losing my space ;-) Terrible lighting... but I'll try filming all of them outside once the weather gets better :-P

BajiFan
Santi

Re: Xingyi 3 of 5 Elements Clip (me :-P)

Postby bruce on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:00 pm

hi ...

thanks for showing your practice.
i am a hsing i novice for sure so take with a grain of salt ... it is advice that was given to me by fellow ef people.
3 harmonies ... very important!

one part of the 3 harmonies is hand and foot should arrive together as if your knee and elbow are attached was the best advice i got to improve my hsing i. doing that opened my eyes to a few other things.

keep up the practice.

i am sure some of the other more knowledgeable hsing i guys will chime in and explain my point better.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:08 pm

As you can see from my video, my xingyi is pretty low level, but I think I can still give you a bit of advice. Even if you practice each element as a single movement like you are doing in the video, try to use the legs. You can even just go from a standing drilling position (like in pi) and then step forward and strike. That way you will be able to at least get part of the footwork. Footwork is very important in xingyi! :D
Good luck with your practice!!! :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:28 pm

While I agree with the above, I thought you should some nice body method. What do you do other than xingyi?
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby BajiFan on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advice :-) I'll try to focus more on the 3 harmonies next time.

I did chang quan for a few years before tearing some ligaments in my knee. Then mostly taiji quan from 2000 on. I also like to practice the Huo style xiao jia baji quan routine. Thanks for the advice guys! Picked up random other things over the years to like most people (tkd, fake ass karate-fu, etc.)... some useful, some not so much ;-) Right now I'm focusing on getting into reasonable physical condition, and just getting back into training consistently. Doc says I have some kind of degenerative condition in my knees from getting older (which doesn't feel right since I'm only 28, lol), so basic physical therapy and losing a bit of weight should help that. I wanted to do something else other than just my taiji, and xingyi matches with the Sun taiji that I learned pretty well :-)
BajiFan
Santi

Postby BajiFan on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:00 pm

The hardest part right now is getting everything working together right... after a long absence I feel like an un-coordinated child, and I notice my body jiggling quite a bit more in the middle than I remember, lol. 0 stamina too :-P
BajiFan
Santi

Postby Bao on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:32 pm

I liked it. There is defenitively some nice, crisp jin you are showing. Keep up the good work!
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:35 pm

I liked it too, FWIW (I don't do xingyi though, so this is from a "general IMA" POV :))
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Coach DAi on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 am

Lead hand and foot arrive together like Bruce said. I like your jin.

alias Dai-BoXeR aKa Bronze Tiger
CLUB XINYIDAO http://www.myspace.com/clubxyd
Coach DAi
Santi

Postby nianfong on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 pm

not bad--I've definitely seen worse.

your pi quan needs some work. besides the 3 harmonies coordination pointed out earlier by bruce and dai, you also need to work on the trajectory of your yang hand--the one that ends in the forward position.

the left side seems ok (it's hard to see in the lighting and angle), but the right side just goes from the outside and strikes forward. it needs to drill up just like the first hand--the yin hand. drill rise overturn fall. you do that with both hands, not just one. They are simply 90 deg out of phase.

-Fong
Last edited by nianfong on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Return to Video Links