Dr Serge Augier Taoist Boxing

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Dr Serge Augier Taoist Boxing

Postby Andy_S on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:25 pm

It's largely good stuff, and with peeps like Alex, Yusuf and Middleway being either direct or indirect students of the man, I bow before him, but the qinna section - when he grabs lazy, slo-mo punches out of the air and locks the wrist - strike as a being a poor demonstration. There ARE ways to slow down and enter on a punching arm - from where a skilled chap MAY be able to get a lock - but he is not showing them here.

On a different note (and to switch to Franglais for the benefit of our Canadian mates):
Given that this cheese eater habite dans joli Paris I am un peu surprised that he does not spend more time doing seminars for his amis among Les Rossbifs over Le Manche.

Sacred blue!
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby alexsuffolk on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:49 am

hi Andy

A 'poor demonstration' ?

Serge is showing a couple of things (and concepts) here, in all these clips, which are pure gold if you take them for what they are, not what you wish they might be.

Alex
alexsuffolk

Postby canard on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:04 am

Andy_S wrote:It's largely good stuff, and with peeps like Alex, Yusuf and Middleway being either direct or indirect students of the man, I bow before him, but the qinna section - when he grabs lazy, slo-mo punches out of the air and locks the wrist - strike as a being a poor demonstration. There ARE ways to slow down and enter on a punching arm - from where a skilled chap MAY be able to get a lock - but he is not showing them here.

It isn't a fight, it's a lesson...maybe the lesson isn't about the entry?
not quite exactly in the service of the Crown
canard
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:37 am

Andy_S wrote:It's largely good stuff, and with peeps like Alex, Yusuf and Middleway being either direct or indirect students of the man, I bow before him, but the qinna section - when he grabs lazy, slo-mo punches out of the air and locks the wrist - strike as a being a poor demonstration. There ARE ways to slow down and enter on a punching arm - from where a skilled chap MAY be able to get a lock - but he is not showing them here.

I've done this exact training and it is a progression to learn the chin na, start with the slo mo punch, learn the mechanics of how the hand, forearm, upper arm, body reacts when you chin na. then progress to dog catching the punch, then to grinding the incoming arm, then free.. the idea is to find which mechanics of chin na elicit which reaction with progressively ore realistic contact..

Serge does emphasise that chin na is a gift in a fight, never look for it. But somehow the training gets one in a state where it comes out :)

On a different note (and to switch to Franglais for the benefit of our Canadian mates):
Given that this cheese eater habite dans joli Paris I am un peu surprised that he does not spend more time doing seminars for his amis among Les Rossbifs over Le Manche.

Sacred blue!

yes, we keep on saying to Serge that London has all these things and what could Paris possibly offer to compete. Alas we are being jedi mind tricked and end up in Paris with all the hot women, food, quiet streets, women, wine, women etc etc :P ;D
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Alex:

Frankly, I think that any demonstration that involves simply grabbing punches out of the air and putting locks on is a poor demonstration as such techniques are an extremely low probability in virtually any combative situation I can think of, offhand. Qinna against grabs - fine. Qinna against punches - why not train something that has a higher probablity of efficacy?

Of course, the above is IHMO and IME, etc.

Yusuf:

Fair enough, that puts the drill into the proper context.

BTW, has London been suddenly denuded of women (hot and, er, otherwise)? I was there a couple of weeks ago, and there seemed to be the usual number about: from hot all the way to downright frigid...
Last edited by Andy_S on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:17 am

Andy_S wrote:BTW, has London been suddenly denuded of women (hot and, er, otherwise)? I was there a couple of weeks ago, and there seemed to be the usual number about: from hot all the way to downright frigid...

The puuurty ones are tourists, and there is a lot about at this time of the year especially with the weak pound. It's also the time of the year where girls walk around half dressed so you tend to notice them a lot more ;D

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Dharma-shovel on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:03 am

alexsuffolk wrote:hi Andy

A 'poor demonstration' ?

Serge is showing a couple of things (and concepts) here, in all these clips, which are pure gold if you take them for what they are, not what you wish they might be.

Alex

Isn't that what the charlaton tailors said, actually to the letter pretty much, when convincing the Emperor to buy his new suit?
Dharma-shovel
Santi

Postby Daniel on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:53 pm

First the attack on Chris McKinley on the Bagua Combatives thread, and now this.

@@@

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links