Aikido in MMA

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Aikido in MMA

Postby Bhassler on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:Thanks Bhassler,
my actual question is , is there some kind of MMA rule that doesn't allow chin na and certain joint locks or was that a legal takedown.

Most professional events allow joint locks to anything but fingers and toes, so I'm guessing it was legal. I think many organizations have rules in regards to general sportsmanship, so if the ref or judges felt that the guy knew what he was doing and set out to hurt the guy intentionally that could be grounds for disqualification. I have no idea about this particular instance, though.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby leopard on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:48 pm

It was a legal move/takedown. He won due to breaking the opponents arm.

Fouls
The following acts are universally considered fouls in the mixed martial arts world:

Headbutting.
Eye gouging.
Hair pulling.
Biting.
Fish-hooking.
Attacking the groin.
Strikes to the back of the head and spinal area. (see Rabbit punch)
Strikes to, or grabs of the trachea.
Small joint manipulation (control of three or more fingers/toes is necessary).
Intentionally throwing your opponent out of the ring/cage.
Running out of the ring/cage.
Purposely holding the ring ropes or cage fence.
Grabbing or putting a hand inside the trunks or gloves of the opponent.
leopard
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:13 pm

RE: Rules

Headbutting. - Legal in early UFC

Eye gouging - Well, who in any combat fora, has the fortitude to do this anyway? Few men (bar of course, "Count Dante" -hairdresser extraordinaire)

Hair pulling - Has been done. That was why Eric Paulson cut his ponytail and went for a skinhead

Biting - Best to eat before a bout rather than during, I always say

Fish-hooking - Seems like an odd technique: I would question its practicality given the obvious defense (ie bite down on the intruding member)

Attacking the groin - Legal in early UFC...though rendered ineffective by use of solid groin guards. Many MArtists rely heavily on this target, but what do you do if you find yourself fighting a eunuch?

Strikes to the back of the head and spinal area. (see Rabbit punch) - Legal in early UFC...we saw a hell of a lot of multiple elbows to back of grapplers' heads, necks and spines, and they proved ineffective at the time. Of course, the recipients might have found themselves injured AFTER the bout (perhaps necessitating the rule) but the technique at the time was NOT the finisher many seem to expect it to be

Strikes to, or grabs of the trachea - Understandably so, though I suspect that (like eye gouging) this is not as effective a technique as many think - for tactical, moral and psychological reasons

Small joint manipulation (control of three or more fingers/toes is necessary) - Odd. If these were allowed, they would increase the submission possibilities. Also, these are not terribly dangerous techniques, and can be applied with incremental pressure even when MMA gloves are worn

Intentionally throwing your opponent out of the ring/cage - Whaaaaat! This happens all the time in WWF! Next, you'll be telling me you can't bean the opponent with a corner chair or slap his bird around when she enters the ring...

Running out of the ring/cage - Damn. That is my favored tactic gone, then

Purposely holding the ring ropes or cage fence - Eh? Seems to happen a lot in UFC

Grabbing or putting a hand inside the trunks or gloves of the opponent - I have seen this technique employed effectively in a number of ladies' wrestling clips, and very compelling viewing it was too. Seriously: If you DO manage to debag your opponent, it would surely open a considerable tactical window, no?

Also, my understanding is that in most NHB, joint attacks must be applied gradually (ie as locks) rather than ballistically (ie as breaks).
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links