News from Mix - Eight posture form video

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

News from Mix - Eight posture form video

Postby xingyijuan on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey gang, here is the latest from our very own Mixy. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMb7anmWUKQ
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Re: News from Mix - Eight posture form video

Postby cerebus on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Interesting. We also have a Ba Shyr form, but it's very different from that one. That form was basically exactly the same as our Za Shi Chui set...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm not familiar with the form in question but looks pretty decent to me. I like the opening split into santi, has nice intention to it.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Mike Roberts on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:42 pm

and his hair is looking better ;D
"Real Taijiquan when looked at appears very simple, All of the gong fu, however, is on the inside."
Mike Roberts
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:04 am

Hey can anyone tell me what the backwards circling with the arm at 0:21 and 0:23 is for? Haven't seen that before.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Pandrews1982 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:21 am

Looks much improved. Still places where he looks tense and a bit robotic but others where it looks pretty smooth.

mrtoes - circling back is very common in the yan (swallow), yao (goshawk) and tai (flycatcher) xings and not uncommon in ying (Eagle). In this instance it looks like yao, a lot of this lianhuan appears to be composed of yao xing. The applications for these backward movements are varied and could be anything from a strike to behind (second opponent, surprize attack from behind, of you've passed the opponent and strike as you pass) to controling a limb (slip past, roll over, hold, lock etc.), can be used for throwing or controlling the head, or just used as misdirection.

For example in the movement shown at 0.21 the practitioner could be using the backward part of the circle to slip past a strike or an attempt to grab, the rest of the circle helps to power the upward strike with the body mass also adding to the strike with the step through. Why complete a full circle instead of just slipping and going for the head (like pao)? Mainly because if you follow the direction of incoming force you don't provide anything for the other person to "listen" with, they don't see it coming and even more so because the strike comes from below their focus of vision too. Also the strike coming out of the circle has the opportunity to go for a number of potential targets as it comes up out of the circle, including groin, solar plexus, throat and face. Works best on someone who has really hoofed a big strike at you and is really focused on hitting you, often get them walking into the strike or you can actually pull the incoming arm too to pull them onto the strike.

Characteristics of yao xing are changing target/intent, changing speed, and changing rhythm so as the strike comes out you might head for the groin but he covers up so you just change intent and hit the head. Or you can go for the groin fast and the guy flinches so you slow the strike and hit him in the throat instead. To do these things in full speed two man application is very difficult and requires an almost trance like state of mind to be able to switch intent while avoiding being hit and attacking for yourself. It aslo only really works if you can make the opponent believe the hit will land, to do this you have to be commited to the first strike and then at the last millisecond change to hit somewhere else.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 am

P - I think you meant to say that it looks like "Yan" not "Yao". 21-23 looks like Swallow to me, and so does your description?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:36 am

No definately meant Yao.

That whole section is supposed to be yao though I agree the next few moves look like yan. The movement 0.21 is often called "Yao soars through the sky"The end fo the strike is meant to be a Tzuan but mix seems to twist the fist way too early. The next bit which looks like yan from about 0.22-0.23 is often called "yao flips/turns over". Then the next movement is most definately yao the beng which crosses and drops. I don't like mix's performance of that movemnt he's too casual there and isn't thinking about that strike, not enough commitment to the single moment and thinking ahead to the next movement I believe. Its an easy thing to do.

BTW the movement at 0.18, the opening of the arms outward, I would say that is being done in an eagle fashion. It can be done in a turtle, chicken or crane fashion also. I've seen it called "White crane opens its wings", but crane is not commonly taught in most schools. The movments don't have to be just one "xing" but the idea in a mixed linking sequence is to try to distinguish the different xings and be able to switch between them effortlessly.

Examples of white crane opens its wings, yao soars through sky and yao flips over are in the section on the "Eight Forms" in the book "Form and Will Boxing" by Lin Jianhua. The ba shi lian huan in that book is similar to the one performed by mix. It is actually quite a nice book (which is rare for a xing yi book in english :)) it has poor black and white photos but makes up for this with the quantity of photos and the descriptions are quite good.
Last edited by Pandrews1982 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:00 am

I agree that the Beng which crosses and drops is Yao, but the rest of it still looks like swallow to me. What do you say xingyijuan, since you practice this form?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:38 am

Pandrews1982 - cheers thanks for that. I didn't recognise it as being from swallow, though now you mention it I kinda see it. I think our swallow form (Sun Lu Tang) is done quite differently, there's a more overt U shaped dropping and rising of the body with that movement, and the arm doesn't circle back like that but hey I'm sure it's same-same but different :)

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Pandrews1982 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:23 am

I think it is (gos)hawk -Yao not swallow - Yan, Graham thinks its swallow, but I agree that it definately could be done in a swallow fashion.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:55 am

Looks like you're right - Mix says it's "sparrow hawk".

Damn. I hate it when you're right.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:55 am

I think this version is similar (Ba Shi is a common lian huan but has some variations) but shows the yao xing more clearly.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Sweet, thanks chaps. I haven't done the hawk form yet so that bit wasn't familiar to me.

Cheeers

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Return to Video Links