hubud lubud- kali or Wing chun?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

hubud lubud- kali or Wing chun?

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:38 pm

looks way to much like wing chun but it says Kali-

neijia_boxer

Re: hubud lubud- kali or Wing chun?

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Hubud lubud is as synonymous with Kali as chi sao is with Wing Chun. It's the Christmas tree on which you can hang hundreds of different combinations.
Chris McKinley

Postby Teazer on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:59 pm

They're starting with a Hubud pattern then throwing in an assortment of JKD'esque stuff which includes Wing Chunnish odds and ends
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:17 pm

It's Inosanto blend expression of higot-hubod-lubod which makes it not quite wing chun and not quite kali. It's something in between.

In my experience the clip shows a real lousy way of training hubod lubod. It's alright for the patty cake drill that they're doing in the clip. It looks nice. Hubod lubod is at close (corto) distance you don't really want to be standing in front on your opponent when you're that close. Also note that in typical fashion, footwork is non-existant.
Last edited by strawdog on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby skystream92 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:25 am

I don't have significant experience with Kali, but my first impression of this clip is it looks like a lot of excessive hand chasing with Wing Chun.
skystream92
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:58 am

strawdog wrote:It's Inosanto blend expression of higot-hubod-lubod which makes it not quite wing chun and not quite kali. It's something in between.

In my experience the clip shows a real lousy way of training hubod lubod. It's alright for the patty cake drill that they're doing in the clip. It looks nice. Hubod lubod is at close (corto) distance you don't really want to be standing in front on your opponent when you're that close. Also note that in typical fashion, footwork is non-existant.

That has always been my experience of this kind of stuff too. I guess if you wanted to find out what it was really for you'd need to seek out a more traditional Kali source. I also think the drill would make a lot more sense done with sticks or knives.
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:24 am

Speaking of more traditional, what's the difference between this and Cadena De Mano from Arnis?
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:04 am

I guess if you wanted to find out what it was really for you'd need to seek out a more traditional Kali source

Unfortunately the traditional "kali" source is rare and IMO close to being extinct. The term kali has been over used and over marketed. What you have out there for the most part are just bastardized and corrupted versions of the art. What is generally called Kali nowadays are just mixture of various Filipino fighting styles mixed in with other fighting styles from other countries.

In the Philippines, it's common for a person raising a pig to go around the neighborhood collecting left over food. He'd go around to his neighbors house and put all this slop together in a bucket and then feeds it to his pigs. This exactly what I think of what most people would consider as Kali. It's just some kind of slop you feed to pigs. Does it make the pig fat and contented? Sure. It makes them nice and fat for the butcher and they make great lechon (whole barbecue pig cook on a spit).
Last edited by strawdog on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:12 am

All about the Cebu Lechon!!!

S- likes him some roast piggy!!!!!
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Hubud is a Pinoy drill - I learned it years ago from both Inosanto and Canete lines. We always did it with footwork/movement, however. Bear in mind, it IS is a drill, not a fight yet some people seem to think they will fight like that. Very slappy-dappy...this problem also affects Southern CMA, IME.

Given that hubud incorporates the hand clearing motion of single palm change, I have often felt that Bagua people could adopt it nicely, but have never seen it done with

Bagua. Hubud can also be done with knives and sticks, which is a good way to introduce two-man weapon drills....something most CMA is woefully deficient in.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Andy,

Having done a lot of hybridization of Baguazhang with Kali for bladed work, I've done exactly what you've described thoroughly, including with footwork and body positioning. It's a lot of fun.
Chris McKinley

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:14 am

Andy_S wrote:Hubud is a Pinoy drill - I learned it years ago from both Inosanto and Canete lines. We always did it with footwork/movement, however. Bear in mind, it IS is a drill, not a fight yet some people seem to think they will fight like that. Very slappy-dappy...this problem also affects Southern CMA, IME.

Given that hubud incorporates the hand clearing motion of single palm change, I have often felt that Bagua people could adopt it nicely, but have never seen it done with

Bagua. Hubud can also be done with knives and sticks, which is a good way to introduce two-man weapon drills....something most CMA is woefully deficient in.

Actually, some Bagua practitioners would argue that the principles of SPC can be found in literally every fighting art. As for the hand clearing motion, it's widely found across the board in southern CMA and, to a lesser extent, in northern styles as well.

I do agree that CMA is decificent in hands-on short weapon training for the most part.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby tim_stl on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:43 am

bigphatwong wrote:Speaking of more traditional, what's the difference between this and Cadena De Mano from Arnis?

choreography.

tim
Garimot Arnis - St. Louis
http://www.garimot-stl.com/

Spanish Swordsmanship Society
http://www.spanishsword.org/
tim_stl
Mingjing

Postby Andy_S on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:10 am

CJ Wang:

RE: Hand clearing
No doubt; it is even visible in karate blocks.

However, it is a more explicit bridge in Bagua, and the SPC footwork maximizes its effectiveness.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Return to Video Links