Lamb To The Slaughter!

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Lamb To The Slaughter!

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:47 am

;D Look I know some of you guys are really serious about your Hsing Yi so I hope not to offend. But does this look OK? Its not really my art but I love the effect this training has on my bagua so I am trying to get better at it.

Any pointers welcome.

Conn
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Re: Lamb To The Slaughter!

Postby kshurika on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:48 am

Soooooooooooooooo, your teacher didn't think the turns were important, is that it?
kshurika
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:48 am

Conn,

The idea of me offering you any advice on anything martial is laughable :) That said I think it would be good to be more precise with the strikes, with the pi chuan especially I thought the striking hands were a bit wobbly, also noticed with water. I can see it's all going on in your body but when it comes out it's not expressed clearly in the hands. That's something I find tricksy with hsing i, getting the juice out without either tensing too much on one hand or going too floppy on the other.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby ashe on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:37 am

repex mang, thanks for sharing. i don't do XY so no advices from me.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:37 pm

kshurika wrote:Soooooooooooooooo, your teacher didn't think the turns were important, is that it?

Turns!? .......Teacher!!? .........gee, there's more to this stuff than meets the eye. :D

I'll practice my turning.
Last edited by Walk the Torque on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Dude...even though its not your art, and the shape is a bit odd...its obvious you understand the method, and have a very nice power output. Your connection is good...you just need to polish the frame a bit and make it tighter, without adding tension.

And turn. ;)

Its amazing how this is not your thing, and you do it better than some xingyi natives. Not kidding.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:33 pm

hi conn,

fun practice huh. i think one thing to look at which i am still working on is everything arriving at once.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Josealb wrote:Its amazing how this is not your thing, and you do it better than some xingyi natives. Not kidding.

+1

Thanks for sharing, always good to put a face on a forum name. 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby 64Palms on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Hey Conn,

Looks good. As i know nothing about XY i think its worth a mention for other viewers that you are doing that with a weighted vest (and ankle weights??) which may give it a different flavour. I know when i do linear 64 palms with the vest on the power transference can be observably different. Good stuff.

D
64Palms
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:52 pm

64Palms wrote:Hey Conn,

Looks good. As i know nothing about XY i think its worth a mention for other viewers that you are doing that with a weighted vest (and ankle weights??) which may give it a different flavour. I know when i do linear 64 palms with the vest on the power transference can be observably different. Good stuff.

D

Good Point. I'd forgotten about the vest.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:07 pm

Walk the Torque wrote:
64Palms wrote:Hey Conn,

D

Good Point. I'd forgotten about the vest.

ashe ,Matt,Josealb, bruce and Dmitri ,

Thanks for the responses,

Looking at it now I think my head could be more centralized, and neck a little more extended. I haven't studied this stuff extensively so the finer details are a bit of a mystery to me. Still I'll investigate all that was mentioned.

Matt, the power coming out of the arms is an interesting point. It certainly looks like what you described. I've laboured over the amount of extension in the arms for a while now, and two things keep recurring for me. 1) is that With greater extension I tend to get smothered somewhat and 2) I kind of modified the 'delivery method' of the arms based on what Bob taught us in the Yang Style Tai Ji; i.e. instead of concentrating on the forward thrust of the arms/fists, to work on open and closed spirals (Bob can explain in detail). This way, with adduction of the shoulder joint/arm (for closed spiral) and abduction (for open spiral) the emphasis is on 'squeezing or releasing' the force out. to produce a shortening of the limbs arc, and effectively condensing the jin into a smaller space. In the "fire" fist (I won't call it Pao :-[ ) I tend to use opening on impact, and Water Or Wood Closed spiral. So right or wrong it is intentional.

I would be interested in hearing from the some long term practitioners to know if this is considered a decent way to go.

Conn
Last edited by Walk the Torque on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:35 pm

On the whole, nicely done. I've added my 2c below based on how I do H-I what I think might be worth looking at.

With each of the elements as you step through, you're turning more than I would, so end up facing about 30 degrees to either side rather than straight in front of you where your lead hand is going. I suspect that may be leading to some tension in the shoulders, but also is leaving your blind side + front hand and leg a bit more exposed than it needs to be.

You seem to be rocking back and forth rather than coiling for Pi & Tsuan in particular. Personally I'd also bring my knees closer together as they're passing by when stepping through in the interests of groin and knee protection .

It also looks like you're tensing your arms at the moment of impact to a degree that I wouldn't do.

Assuming that was your Heng chuan at 1:55, it's quite different from how I do it, so I can't comment other than that.

Hope that helps. BTW it looks like you've a nice place to practice!
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks Teazer,

Yes turning a bit too much for classical Hsing Yi, Noted. Legs could be tighter too. Thanks for that.

Yeah that Heng is not really Heng; just something I got from Yang style Tai Ji. it's a good strike and block though.

That area is part of a rather large garden at my work. Pretty cool way to start the day. ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:24 am

Josealb wrote:Its amazing how this is not your thing, and you do it better than some xingyi natives. Not kidding.

Because he understands the method.

Walk the Torque: Training you in XY would be easy as hell because you have most of the essence covered already. A few fixes here and there (ditch the lean, hold the center in a tight manner..) and it would be as good as any.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby bruce on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:43 am

hi felipe,

could you elaborate on "hold the center tight"? thanks.
bruce
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links