5 Fingers of Death....

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

5 Fingers of Death....

Postby bailewen on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:05 am

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTAwOTcxMDA=.html

With subtitles.

Oh yeah...and now I finally know where Tarantino ripped off got the idea for his homage to that siren noise in Kill Bill. 8-)
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Re: 5 Fingers of Death....

Postby SPJ on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:07 am

some how loading is so slow for me.

--

:)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:13 am

This Run Run Shaw film was originally released in Hong Kong as "King Boxer" in 1973, and was the first film of its kind to show at mainstream movie theaters in major cities throughout the USA during the same year as "Five Fingers of Death" starring Lo Lieh. These Hong Kong martial art films quickly became a widely popular action film genre known as the "Cinema of Vengance". Lo Lieh also appeared in several other films that made it to the USA, and was thus the first major star of this genre outside the Orient. He was considered very cool by avid fans! 8-)

Some of these films were nicely produced and well directed, while many others, if not most, were extremely low budget affairs with poor martial arts choreography, poor acting, and poor directing to say the least. Initially, these movies were generally released with spoken Cantonese dialogue, or occasionally with Mandarin dialogue, accompanied by Chinese characters and English subtitles which were very difficult to read. And for those who could understand the spoken dialogue and read the Chinese character subtitles, the English subtitles were almost always poorly and oftentimes hilariously translated. ::)

Later on they appeared with English dialogue dubbed over the original Chinese dialogue. This was usually very poorly done, again with humorously poor translations of the original Chinese dialogue, often making the most serious revenge oriented storyline seem comical as the lips of actors on the movie screen continued to move long after their spoken English dialogue had ended, and because the voice overs rarely fit the physical appearance or personality of the film characters! ;D

Ah, the good old days! ;)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEH94FTm ... re=related

yes. we came a long way since then. more budget, and computer generated image.

"wire fu" improved, too.

I am a big fan on sun wu kong or monkey king.

so he was reincarnated into US or hollywood. so be it.

I follow him any where.

8-)
SPJ
Wuji

Re: The Monkey King

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Here's the real Monkey King, IMO, and has been for a very long time. I saw Chan Sau-Chung Sifu demo live on several occasions during the years I lived in Honk Kong back in the old days. It was always a pleasure to watch him perform.

And I've also always enjoyed Sifu Paulie Zink's eclectic interpretations of this style, too.

Last edited by Doc Stier on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Return to Video Links