Pre-sparring drills using taiji, bagua, and boxing concepts

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Pre-sparring drills using taiji, bagua, and boxing concepts

Postby neijia_boxer on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Video version of some of the drills mentioned in the "sparring for noobs" thread

neijia_boxer

Re: Pre-sparring drills using taiji, bagua, and boxing concepts

Postby Areios on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:24 am

i didn't watched the whole stuff but I liked that there were some head movement not just arm. And also liked the chin down part. :)
Areios
Wuji

Postby TrainingDummy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Nice drills,

thanks for letting us see how the other thread works in practice.

What are you using for editing your films and adding the titles?
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:28 am

I am using a version 9 or 10 of this software called Pinnacle that came with a Dazzle device (dazzle attaches to old VCR and DVD players to computer to digitize)

version 12
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... timate.htm

dazzle
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... r+Plus.htm

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... ion+12.htm
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Walk the Torque on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:39 am

Hey nice drills. I like the rhythm with the walking in a lot of them so you get power on the move.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:44 am

Walk the Torque wrote:Hey nice drills. I like the rhythm with the walking in a lot of them so you get power on the move.

thanks for the feedback , i hope to get my friend up to speed with doing the same work as you and 64palm are with a more aggressive sparring approach, right now the guy is a noob and doesnt really want to spar, but is ok with pre-sparring drills. he is learning pretty quickly, there is alot of fundamental work we dont film.
neijia_boxer

Postby Juan on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 am

Good stuff Matt!
Juan
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:07 am

Nice stuff. Looks like it would get 'em used to some playful contact while not triggering any objections to getting hit at that stage. If they realize that contact doesn't always result in everybody going to the hospital, they may just warm up to it. I also like that you've isolated individual concepts and immediately have them start developing a working relationship with them instead of the more common thing of showing an application, having the students work it a couple of times, and moving on to the next concept.
Chris McKinley

Postby ashe on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:09 pm

hey i liked this clip as a "get your feet wet" kind of thing. since i've never had the pleasure of training at an mma or thai boxing gym, did you draw on your experiences training there to put together these drills?
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:17 pm

ashe wrote:hey i liked this clip as a "get your feet wet" kind of thing. since i've never had the pleasure of training at an mma or thai boxing gym, did you draw on your experiences training there to put together these drills?

the bagua part was unaltered from my bagua teacher. the taiji part draws from my own experience with some fast taiji with another taiji teacher. the boxing part is from 3 different boxing teachers.

so it draws from experience from all, but is inspired by a method at the mma school called "stacking"-

example of "stacking" might be-
drill1- jab slip jab
2- add cross (jab slip jab cross)
3. add knee- (jab slip jab cross knee)
4. add rt elbow (jab slip jab cross knee elbow)

this is something not new and taught alot in bagua if you have a teacher that can show you=

think of yang line ____ is 'attack' and yin line __ __ as 'defense'

so in the bagua is eight symbols, for heaven trigram which is all yang lines- you have= 3 attacks, water trigram which is yin line, yang line, yin line= defense- -attack -defense.

mountain trigram is one yang line and two yin- attack-defense-defense= punch+ retreat+ kick
add two trigrams of heaven and fire= attack+attack+attack+attack+defense+attack= jab+ cross +hook+ uppercut+ duck+ cross

really nothing new, infinite possibilities all from basics.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Areios on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 am

Maybe you could move a little in and out with those drills instead of the circle walking. Also realy liked the bagua concept behind it, even if it's just a realize of fighting nature.
And yeah speed it up. :) It's hard to show something good if your partner is still a begginer.
Areios
Wuji

Return to Video Links