crucible

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

crucible

Postby Ian on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:48 pm

out of curiosity, does your training look anything like this?

Ian

Re: crucible

Postby Andy_S on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 pm

Bar the pullups (which I would say he is doing too fast), no.

What/who is this training aimed at, and for what purpose? Off-road driving, knife fighting, tactical shooing, MMA....bit fo a pot pourri. Presumably not the secret service, the military or special police forces (who get their training from their own organisations), and I don't see much that is applicable to regular law enforcement, bodyguarding, doorwork, etc.

I therefore conclude that it is for:
(1) MA students who want a RBSD crash course; and/or
(2) Walter Mitties

The name Kelly McCann rings a distant bell. Who he?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby dtactics on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:02 am

'We do.

I highly recommend any of his seminars and courses. He's an excellent, articulate and extremely professional DT/CQB instructor who brings years of real world experience and sensibility to the game. A no-nonsense trainer who's generous in sharing hard-won lessons with little tolerance for fantasy techniques. In Kelly's words "Show me!!!".
dtactics
Anjing

Postby Andy_S on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:29 am

DTactics:

Who are "we"?

Seriously, I am curious what kind of people want this kind of training and why.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:45 am

dtactics,

he's high on my list of people I'd like to train under, for sure.
Ian

Postby dtactics on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 am

Andy_S wrote:DTactics:

Who are "we"?

Seriously, I am curious what kind of people want this kind of training and why.

Folks who's lives depend on this material.

Kelly McCann aka Jim Grover's routinely employed by the groups you've presumed "get their training from their own organizations". He was inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame '08 and has loads of credible knowledge to save lives.

http://www.kellymccanncombatives.com/?i ... &priorId=0
dtactics
Anjing

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Kelly McCann is one of the best CQB instructors on the planet and The Crucible is one of the finest places to obtain that kind of instruction in the world, in or out of the military. Andy's wrong about the military obtaining their instruction exclusively in-house, at least in the U.S.

I've personally worked with people trained by him and personally recommended people to his organization. I don't personally know the man, he's just that good.
Chris McKinley

Postby Void on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 pm

excuse my ignorance - what's RBSD - I'm guessing but is it 'reality based self defence'?
Void
Huajing

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Yes.
Chris McKinley

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:39 pm

This looks like a really nice knife, as well.

Guy presenting is Michael Janich.
Ian

Postby dtactics on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:46 pm

[quote="Chris McKinley"]Andy's wrong about the military obtaining their instruction exclusively in-house, at least in the U.S.
/quote]

+1
It blows my mind when people presume things just because.
dtactics
Anjing

Postby Andy_S on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:00 am

SNIP
+1
It blows my mind when people presume things just because.
SNIP

Damn, didn't mean to blow anyone's mind. Hope you are feeling better now.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 am

dtactics wrote:It blows my mind when people presume things just because.

I think the video is pretty much aimed at wanna-be badasses and guys who live in concrete bunkers in the woods. Sometimes the advertising can detract from the perception of the product.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:15 am

dtactics,

It's cool. Andy just made a mistake. He's a pretty good guy and more pragmatic than most here in the zoo.
Chris McKinley

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:35 am

Bhassler,

The cool rock guitar and flashy text is Paladin's post-production doing. Honestly, though, it's not a bit more hyperbolic than most every martial arts DVD these days. As to the content and clips of training, there's nothing wanna-be about it. They really do train that stuff at his facility. It's a professional training facility for professional military, federal agency, federal law enforcement, and specialized civilian personnel. It's not for most civilians, and he keeps the number of civilian trainees artificially low for quality control purposes.

Instead of purely speculating, and beside my personal recommendation, anyone interested in McCann or the quality of his work should simply ask around in the circle of the biggest names they know in the professional training community. These guys can be found online if you don't personally know any. Ask them what they think of McCann. While nobody is universally equally liked, he enjoys one of the highest percentages of universal respect of anybody in the business.
Chris McKinley

Next

Return to Video Links