Very nice tuisho again...

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Very nice tuisho again...

Postby I am... on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:20 pm

bruce wrote:hi ors

i do like the video even more as i have watched it a few times now and i agree with your observations about that teacher and his students. but i disagree about the value of preset patterns for push hands.
in regards to learning to defend yourself from attack i think spending more than a small amount of time on "preset patterns" is a waste of time.

From my experience, if one trains the shenfa and structure into their bodies heavily, the correct pattern will manifest dynamically based on the interaction. To use a Japanese term, one approach is to train "waza" and one is training the abilities that produce "waza" on the fly.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby fuga on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 pm

what's waza?
fuga
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:08 pm

fuga wrote:what's waza?

I apologize, I meant to define it in my earlier post. Waza is often translated as technique. My point being that being familiar with techniques is great, but if the body structure and method are trained in conjunction with being familiar with techniques, one can create technique on the fly as things unfold.

There seems to be a line however that is hard to pin down: Not enough technique exposure and it can be limiting on the possibilities one sees. Not enough body training and one can get trapped in the endless number of techniques.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 pm

cdobe
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks, I am...

(you, too, cdobe)
fuga