Some Song Xingyi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Some Song Xingyi

Postby Josealb on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:03 pm

cdobe wrote:How do you call the step, where he lifts his legs high (chicken ? crane ?)
And what's the theory of it in Xingyi? (development-wise)

This is not a critical question. I'm asking because a very similar step is used in my Taiji. Would be interesting to compare.

TIA
CD

The name is Golden Cock stands up on a frame. Its very often that you find that type of binding contraction of the body right before a Tiao, wherever a Tiao may be found. Some systems dont lift the knee that high, but barely lift the heel a bit with both feet together...others, like my own, actually step back and bind the legs in the same way the arms are crossed.

Its a very "Ji" type of step, that one. To exchange one foot for the other in a short stomp, and remain in one leg. Its usually to develop balance and rooting on that one leg while it plants itself either in the same spot or stepping back, while at the same time reloading the weight to step forward with the other and deliver the Tiao. Obvious uses are a cut down, followed by a flick to the jewels, with an added shoulder if close enough.

Its like a shuffle...you dont go back then forward, you merely exchange sides and plow thru. Development-wise, that is.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Ji Xing Bu (chicken stepping) is incredibly hard to do right - you've got to see it to believe it. Almost all the photos and clips on the web show the easier modified version in which the body leans more or less forward. Try it with the rear heel vertically aligned with the sacrum and head crown and you'll see what I mean - almost impossible for ordinary mortals just to hold statically, let alone move fast and powerfully. So far this is the best I can find (Lu Song Gao):

It's a very important part of old xinyi liuhe, less so for other members of the xinyi family.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Very educating thread, thanks.
Finally, I know about the chicken stepping, I learned in a rather laymen version, as nobody could explain it as good as lazyboxer, thanks!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Coach DAi on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Not true - here's Deng Fuxing's disciple Wang Senlin doing his Hebei xingyquan:

Clip may not be an example of what youre saying. If Im not mistaken Mstr.Deng's style is a Shanxi/Hebei fusion method. Jose? Felipe?

alias Dai-BoXeR aKa Bronze Tiger
CLUB XINYIDAO http://www.myspace.com/clubxyd
Coach DAi
Santi

Postby Coach DAi on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:08 pm

lazyboxer wrote:Ji Xing Bu (chicken stepping) is incredibly hard to do right - you've got to see it to believe it. Almost all the photos and clips on the web show the easier modified version in which the body leans more or less forward. Try it with the rear heel vertically aligned with the sacrum and head crown and you'll see what I mean - almost impossible for ordinary mortals just to hold statically, let alone move fast and powerfully. So far this is the best I can find (Lu Song Gao):

It's a very important part of old xinyi liuhe, less so for other members of the xinyi family.

Very Nicely explained. I learned this from Yang Fansheng. In our branch its called "Ai Gi Bu" (Low Chicken Walk). As it is done a little different and super low to the ground at about seated (twisted) stance level.
By the way. The Song dude rocked! I always admire them as "the other white meat" (other Shanxi group). Lol. We have the same shapes but with different shenfa. This is one cool thread. 8-)
Last edited by Coach DAi on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Coach DAi
Santi

Postby Josealb on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Coach DAi wrote:

Clip may not be an example of what youre saying. If Im not mistaken Mstr.Deng's style is a Shanxi/Hebei fusion method. Jose? Felipe?

You could say that...but it wouldnt be entirely fair. Ive seen clips of "pure" Hebei, and the method is equally ballistic (same whole body percusiveness, as opposed to Songs explotion in a single point). Yang Hai comes to mind.

Shanxi...Hebei...these days dont help much when it comes to explaining methods. I prefer Olds chool vs New School. ;D
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Coach DAi on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:41 pm

I prefer Olds chool vs New School.

Me too!
Yeah and the Shang Style guys are pretty ballistic as well. Theres just too many branches for certain things to be exclusive, where some Hebei schools are ballistic and some arent, all Shanxi schools (save for a few suspect ones Ive seen) just are that way on the regular.

Whatever. Tomato, tomatto. Nowadays, its nice to see good XY period. Like this guy. Is it just me or is this guy tearin it up? Weird flavor but I like it. Pretty ballistic.:

Last edited by Coach DAi on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Coach DAi
Santi

Postby wuwei on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:38 pm

The first Song guy is Mr Pei Jiang Tao, martial cousin of mine, one of the more remarkable partitioners among my generation inside our line. A regular feature in our demonstrations and presentations, I think he has a more "showy" and exaggerated style compares with the others for that added effect.

After declaring where I'm from, and not trying to ignite the silly Shanxi vs Hebei debate - I have seen some equally awesome stuff from Hebei, yes Yang Hai's Xue Dian style immediately came to mind - I think the general standard is higher for Shanxi styles. Because there are so many more people doing Hebei styles, the signal-to-noise level inevitably have to be higher. Whereas Shanxi styles still remain as relatively closed "family" style schools so the job of upkeeping the standard have been easier.
wuwei
Anjing

Postby lazyboxer on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:37 am

Coach DAi wrote:

Nice point, Dai, and quite right - M. Deng's shenfa does indeed include some Shanxi elements, both in his power delivery and pan gen turning.

That's why I referred to the Shanxi-Hebei debate as a waste of breath - there have always been high-level exchanges between the provinces.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:44 am

Oh great I can't wait to do chicken stepping. Looks like yet another world of pain for my inflexible western body :(

Dai: Thanks for the vid, I liked that. Very snappy.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links