Freedom through basics?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Freedom through basics?

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:18 am

If you only concentrate on basics are you like a sheep eyes down munching the grass, dulling the brain and missing all the glory of the mountains around you?

Just watching this video and Mr Sonnon makes a good point about how human beings learn skills.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Freedom through basics?

Postby middleway on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:05 am

Although Scott Sonnon is most definitely 'Mr Marketing' I actually really like his club bells and free flow stuff he does, there is definitely something to be said for freedom of movement.

The idea of freedom through basics is fundamental to every single decent teacher i have met .... the point with basics is that, for me at least, every time you do them they are 'less basic' as new challenges and details become apparent.

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:14 am

If you only concentrate on basics are you like a sheep eyes down munching the grass, dulling the brain and missing all the glory of the mountains around you?[quote="GrahamB"]

"If you only" is the key to what you are saying.

Without the adequate immersion and grounding in the basics, you fly far too high, far too early---from the peaks of the mountain you think and delude yourself as a god---you become "one with the universe, mesmerized by the fantasy of qi transformation, spirit, being above it all. You become the fantasy of your dream---with clay feet.

Remember, basics also include fundamental developement of stillness which, ironically, is grounding in the basics and refinement beyond the basics. Stupid is as stupid does---if you remain blind while in the basics, you indeed miss the beauty, complexity, and life of the Valley---
Last edited by Bob on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:51 am

Scott only touches on basics/simplicity vs complexity at about 4:42 in this clip, but it's a good point.

-Using a driving analogy (because martial artists love driving analogies)... an explanation of how a car works can be simple - key goes into ignition, turn the key, car is on, drive - or it can fill 40 volumes.

-Freedom is in having choices, and being able to do more than you might have to gives you options. Moreover, experimenting with movement you may never need is synonymous with being in that 'play state'. The picnic table stuff in this clip has taught me as much about my body as zhan zhuang has.

-Lowest common denominator training http://www.strategosintl.com/pdfs/Who-i ... ng-Who.pdf
Considering professionalism, the knowledge, psychomotor control, mindset, adaptability and judgement required by those who need to do something and do it very well, it's clear that these people don't follow the KISS rule, nor do they drill basics. They're pushed. A pilot of an airliner isn't trained in a linear fashion, he's asked to pick up skills that are frequently more than he can handle, and forced to adapt to the set requirements.

Of course it's worthwhile to refine areas in which you know you're lacking, but that's categorically not the same as keeping it simple.
Last edited by Ian on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby bailewen on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:47 am

Thank you so much for the article.

Most inspirational thing I have read in ages. The KISS principle has irritated me to no end for years and years but I could never come up with a decent counter argument. I just told myself that that was a horribly boring and uninteresting way to train. The idea deadens me where this deconstruction of the idea excites and inspires.

Great stuff.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:29 am

You're welcome. I really like Ken J Good's articles. They're incredibly informative and thoughtful. Here are the rest http://www.strategosintl.com/reading.html
Ian

Postby mrtoes on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:57 am

Ian wrote:-Lowest common denominator training http://www.strategosintl.com/pdfs/Who-i ... ng-Who.pdf

Very interesting! Food for thought.
mrtoes
Wuji

Return to Video Links