some nice apps

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: some nice apps

Postby Josealb on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:21 am

True, so therein lies the predicament: in the mis-label. I agree with that. But people cant all be as semantic and correct all the time as some, i suppose.

I usually see things for what they are, not for what they are called. But thats my own problem i guess. :)
Last edited by Josealb on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:24 am

Ok...I can't use the english language properly sometimes in my very busy life.

Get the fuck over it, people.

S- some nice kung fu then...I mean really...
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:06 am

Shawn, my critique was not aimed at you in any way. I apologize if that's how it came across. To be clear, my criticism isn't really focused on this particular clip, either, since it's among the better examples of what's out there, not the worst. In fact, what he shows makes you want to see more of what he could do with apps, not less. But just like discussing a new book on Bagua that comes out, once you give the initial evaluation, any further interesting discussion about it often includes how it fits in the context of the general presentation of the art in all books; IOW, commentary on the state-of-the-art, so to speak.

While constructive criticism of such presentations isn't always fun, it can produce noticeable improvements. Take a look at some of the app clips from Conn, neijia boxer, and meeks these days and compare them to the average apps clip from even 5 years ago....or even most of the average apps clips still being posted today. These guys have taken some of that constructive criticism to heart and done something about it.

The clip you posted is worth watching for the finesse of the interactive skill and the whole-body movement, and again, this guy at least has some vigor and "oomph" to his work. I'd just like to see him step outside the traditional ceremonial presentation of "attacks" that is how apps work is almost always depicted in Bagua, and see what he does with more combative responses as well.
Chris McKinley

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:09 pm

no worries, mang.

It's my fault for being sloppy when I wrote that. Mea Culpa.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 pm

Ian wrote:0:44 usually when you grab someone, he's not going to comply. if he's compliant, you can just ask him to get in the car. not gonna happen.
1:03 not allowed to hit
1:15 [he's going to resist, so] you can't force it. turn your body and stick to the guy
1:53 we want to be like a snake or a dragon and coil around the guy
2:33 you've pressed down one of the guy's arms. usually people will try to directly enter [from the front]. this is wrong. use bagua movement, step to the side
2:44 always stick to him. hands don't leave the opponent, but neither are they grabbing him rigidly. if you grab him rigidly he'll know where your center is and resist
3:17 work with sidearms
3:36 sometimes people will touch your sidearm. the common reaction is to grab the attacker's hand. this is wrong. easy to get shot
3:51 two reactions should be - press down, turn your body
4:36 if you wait another second and he has a deeper hold, press down, turn your body won't work. too late
4:53 if this happens, your reaction should be - let go, enter

damn dude, thanks!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:18 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:everything,

I recommend you watch the first clip also for two reasons. One, you ought to evaluate something for yourself rather than just taking the opinions of others as true.

definitely agree though in the interest of time I often trust RSF comments as filters for the vids (yeah yeah well sometimes you are all just 100% wrong, though, lol, so who knows what I miss listening to everyone's jibber jabber too much here ;D )
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 am

everything wrote:
damn dude, thanks!

np
Ian

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:18 am

I would like to suggest that the final push may just be offered without the final snap, or the "ninth joint" so to speak, which would make the final push into a penetrating strike that could definitely be a finishing move for a true fight. Only a push so as not to do true harm? just a thought
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links