Fa-Jing: How to Gain it How to Use It

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Fa-Jing: How to Gain it How to Use It

Postby Dr.Rob on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Re: Fa-Jing: How to Gain it How to Use It

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Hmmm! No wonder so much confusion surrounds this subject. :-\
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:52 pm

What Doc said + 1.

And the more I see of Erle, the more I wonder where on earth he gets his material/ideas from...
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:08 pm

Normally I am quite receptive to BKF. But when I see crap like this I just want to weep. It's not fa jing - at least if you are talking about fa jing being the same as a sudden explosive release of power. Erle Montagne is no better with his "you've got to shake" nonsense. No you don't. I've just looked at the vid of the Thai boxer doing the sweetest knee strikes I have seen - possibly ever, and yet old Erle would have you believe that you need to "shake" first. JTDC.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby wuwei sifu on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:39 pm

did anybody notice how zhang lu ping doesn't stop in his chen style form . so what i'm saying is he does do what weare supposed to do! when 1 part moves all parts move and when 1 part stops all parts stop !

not many in chen stylist have gotten to that point though; and i'm not sure if they are even trying too either.

So far as the shaking aspect that erle and others speak of in relationship to fa jin, i would say they are not saying it's the only way to do it at all. i feel that is an assumption/interpretaion on the observers/listeners to a large extent.

the 1 inch punch doesn't shake either . lol . i just saw an old clip of bruce doing it right , but most clips i see of it are not even 1 inch punches at all.fast short draw backs and then puching is the norm for 1" puch demos.

and of course you don't have to draw back at all , ( TO USE FAJIN) if you are already in contact with the opponent .
I DON'T EVEN know fajin realistically and have let folks feel some of the power that can be generated with abosolutely no drawing back at all. nothing but forward motion delivered from the feet up to the hand/fist.

i've read description of how to do fajin in waysun lao's book i think as well as in warriors of stillness pt. 2 they both seem to coincide with each other if i recall!
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:05 pm

Sprint wrote: It's not fa jing - at least if you are talking about fa jing being the same as a sudden explosive release of power.

Maybe people have different definitions of fajin. Fa means to release or express and jin means energy or power. If the jin is released over a longer time period it's called long power, and that's what BKF is doing, if the jin is released in a short pulse, then you get short power, or shaking power, more like what ZLP is doing, but they are all doing fajin.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby ashe on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:15 pm

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:46 pm

I think Ron is right when he defines fajing---by that definition, and I agree with Ron, everyone has fajing. The deeper issue is the quality of fajing and its potential effectiveness.

Here is one of my very favorites---I like her expression of fajing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh3afQsR ... re=related

Bob
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHt0JYfg ... re=related

just to add some points;

1. we really have to tell people how to focus on preparatory stance, transition stance and final stance. meaning how to store or harness jin or xu jin, before you may talk about ways to release the jin. not just the moves but also inhalation and exhalation etc. where your power is coming from or generationg from, how you relay it or transfer it. then how you deliver or express or release it at your end posture.

2. pushing and pulling is a long jin or chang jin or continuous jin, we are still moving.

3. strike as decribed is a short release or outburst and stopped suddenly. he pulled back his hand and sat on his posture.

4 how and where your power is going. toward the bag/opponent and toward the ground, absorption by your body/joints etc.

if you consider point 4, then you probably will not practice fa jin strikes without bags or pads. b/c you are hitting air, most if not all jin has to be stopped or absorbed by your body and joints. you hurt your self big time. so if you practice without bags/pads, you would only release 1 to 5% and not 100%.

----
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:18 am

when you are doing pushing and pulling, it is actually walking or guiding the jin or zhou jin. it is not fa jin per se.

there are parts of jin from you and parts from the opponent,

for example, if the opponent is pushing your forearm toward you, you lower or sink your forearm, you guide his forward jin downward. it is neutralized or guided away from your vital area or center position. yes you may also guide it upward or laterally to the left or right. so there are jins from him and from you.

at the end of the opponent's position of balance, he would go the other way to balance himself such as moving back or upward, we then add to it so he was "pushed" back upward and backward. but not necessarily up and flying as shown in the clips.

so again there are parts of jins from both you and the opponent.

it is called walking the opponent's jin over all. so if you call the opponent sent flying is "your" fa jin, this is not the whole story.

we have to think of the jin or power game a story of balancing it all out.
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVIT9EGW ... re=related

there are more "localized" expression of powers, such as from elbows, and shoulders etc.

fighting utility depending on the conditions to be useful or effective.

you may practice many "localized" or "focal" power expressions from any single move/posture.
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh3afQsR ... re=related

she is practicing more continuous and long power from the postures, so she is practicing neutralization or ways of guiding power or hua jin for the most part.

or chan si jin.
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:37 am

1. shaking or vibrating energy is the result of your focusing, it can be from the wrist, elbow, forearm etc rippling outward. and of course it can also be from dan tian rippling outward all over the body.

2. there are drills to practice these "trembling" or shaking.

such as shaking around your wrist, shaking your forearm, shaking your whole body etc. part of warming up and relaxing your tendons and joints.

3. tan dou jin or spring and shake power. for that we have to practice from the feet upward. landing of the heel or sole first etc.

---
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Bob on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:50 am

Thanks, SPJ, she really is one of my favorites!

Zhu Tiancai Chen Tai Chi Fajin Power Release 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq9KRnC4 ... _embedded#

Zhu Tiancai Chen Tai Chi Fajin Power Release 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2uAJooz ... re=related

Chen taiji quan fajin by Chenyu 陈氏太极拳

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_vcWq2G ... re=related

Chen Zhonghua Fajin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Qcskv8 ... re=related

Bob
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:27 am

fajin is to make you strike, throw, lock, break, affect structure etc. better. I don't see it in the first chen clip, nor in the BKF clips. the erle montaigue clip... shaking is important... ok fair enough but if it can't help you hit as well as this, then you have to wonder - what's the point?

the only impressive and realistic fajin in this thread is what sam chin's doing.
Ian

Next

Return to Video Links